Please help...

Lori F.
on 6/10/12 3:50 am - Chula Vista, CA
 Failed bandster here. Been trying to get a revision for 2 years. The insurance says no. In order to stop throwing up I had more fluid removed from my band two weeks ago...and...(drum roll please)...I have restriction but can eat anything. Is that what this band is supposed to be doing???? I've had five years of puking and choking and filling and unfilling and I have never felt this. I have not thrown up since this last unfill. It's AMAZING... but I'm still not losing. So what do I do now??? I was thinking about Medifast WITH the band... I don't know. I've NEVER felt restriction without being absolutely, horribly miserable. My doc and husband have told me I'm crazy...but now... I wonder if this is how it is supposed to work...but I'm so excited that I can eat, I am really eating... Suggestions appreciated!!!!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
SueBee01
on 6/10/12 4:50 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
If you can now eat and are not throwing up, I would go back to the basics. Log everything you eat and make sure you are getting and eating protein first. Logging my food really helps me because I do not know what I think I know! I hope you can get this working for you now.
 Sue

kathkeb
on 6/10/12 5:23 am
Lori -

What works best for me, is to eat small amounts of lean protein filled meals several times a day.

So, Medifast (liquid) would not satisfy me -- even though about 15 years ago I lost 104 pounds in 26 weeks on Medifast -- so it can work.

What works for me -- is to eat real food in small amounts.

So -- breakfast is usually some Greek yogurt, or a scrambled egg with some shredded cheese

Snack is a small piece of fruit

Lunch -- tuna or chicken salad or left over beef/pork/fish/chicken and some veggies -- salad or sliced cucumber/tomato

Snack -- piece of low-fat string cheese and 5 or 6 Wheat Thins

dinner -- about 4 ounces of protein with some veggie.  I also have a starch, like 1/2 a small baked sweet potato or some brown rice

Snack --piece of fruit or 1/2 a Luna Bar or 1/2 cup of pudding or yogurt (something sweet, but also with protein in it works best to satisfy me)

I can eat all of that for between 900 and 1,200 calories if I am careful ------ and it is much more satisfying than a liquid diet (which would be about the same number of calories).

Just because you CAN eat anything, you should try to stay away from the processed carbs and stick with high- protein and see if that gets you back to losing.

Kath
Kath

Guernica Loser
on 6/10/12 12:01 pm
 I'm glad you're not puking anymore and you realized a tight band isn't a good band.  it's very dangerous.  I keep my band very loose.  What has helped me get back on the losing side of life again is elimating carbs.  Take a look at my "low carbers" post from a few days back.  You can do it!!!!
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

Lori F.
on 6/10/12 2:23 pm - Chula Vista, CA
 Thanks everyone. I will definitely try NO CARB. I know I've been loading up. I needed a pep talk!
CW:
NanaB.
on 6/10/12 10:56 pm

First congrats on taking the first step to save your band from slippage.

I'sn't it amazing that once you get your band filled properly you don't have to throw up? It seems like you are at your ideal restriction, did your surgeon give you the chart of what restriction is and how the band works? If not here is a guide to help you although you are not a newbie it should give you guidelines on nutrition and proper restriction .

http://www.laplose.com/Media/Forms/LapBandDietGuideNew.pdf

Also, you did not mention exercise, it does not matter if you revise to RNY, the Sleeve or ANY weight loss surgery, if you don't exercise or walk...you will not see the results you will be happy with. The lap band can only do so much, it's a 50/50 deal.

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Lori F.
on 6/11/12 1:12 pm - Chula Vista, CA
 I really kind of angry- why did my doctor keep filling me up? I had no idea that I would not feel that stuck feeling every single day of my life. I thought that meant the band  was working.... thanks for the pep talk. I still don't think I am going to lose anything... 
CW:
NanaB.
on 6/11/12 11:31 pm
Lori,

I am not sure why your surgeon kept filling your band when you did not need a fill, but typically surgeons ask you how is your appetite and how you feel and how much weight you are losing to evaluate whether nor not you need a fill.  Remember YOU are your own advocate when it comes to how tight you want your band, so you should always speak up to let your surgeon know how you are feeling.

I am happy to hear you are no longer in misery with your band, I don't see how you were able to put up that tight fill level that long, I've been too tight a few times by mistake it WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE...hopefully now you can plan out your small meals and stay on track! Remember to walk daily at least 30 minutes and drink water, that will help you start losing weight.

good luck
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Stephanie M.
on 6/13/12 12:42 am
 Some docs are motivated to fill aggressively by $$$$$$$$$$

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Tom C.
on 6/11/12 10:59 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Lori F,

Not getting personal, and no need to answer, but why won't the insurance company do a revision?

I am not a Doctor, nor do I play one on tv, and I don't know the ins and out with insurance companies, but I am wondering why your insurance company said no.

If your Doctor, and his staff, knows the insurance companies and policies, they should be able to "get it done". As long as they state it's a necessity. I know a person who had successful weight loss with Operation "A", but there were issues. Even thou they were considered "overweight" they were allowed to change to Operation "B" because the Doctor stated without any "tool" the person would gain all the weight again. I can't say this will happen 100% of the time, but Doctors and staff (should) know how to word things for approvals.

Again, I would never bash a Doctor, especially if I never dealt with them, but with what I have read, I would suggest seeing another Doctor.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active