Perception is Everything!!!

Butterfly618
on 7/27/12 3:01 am - NJ
Releasing Those Pesky, Negative "Truths"

Are you aware of the habitual thoughts that keep your excess pounds firmly rooted in reality? Most people are not aware of these thoughts, but discovering what they are can be incredibly helpful in transforming them for the better.

Resistant thoughts go something like this:

- I'm so sick of being tired.

- I'll never lose this weight.

- Why can't I be naturally thin?

- I'm cursed with a slow metabolism.

- No matter what I do, I can't lose weight.

- It's really hard for me to lose weight.

- I'm powerless to do anything about this.

- I'll never get back to my college weight.

As you can see, none of these thoughts are really horrible; they simply reflect a solid set of beliefs that keep reinforcing the reality of an overweight condition.

The problem is that these kinds of thoughts will keep running through your mind, over and over again, all day long. They are like a constant recording playing in your head, and as long as they are running the show, you will remain "stuck" in the reality of being overweight.

To discover your own dominant resistant thoughts, consider the kinds of things you say to yourself on a regular basis regarding your weight. "I'm getting old; exercise is too hard; food travels straight to my hips . . ." Make a list of the most common "negative" things you say and think about your body and your weight.

Then, create a few contradictory statements that you can recite throughout the day.

-
I find it easy to achieve my ideal weight

- M
y metabolism is fast and efficient

-
I love moving my body

Be sure to say the statements with a sense of excitement or other positive emotion. Saying them flatly without feeling won't change anything - speak them with conviction, as if they really are true.

Remember that at first, you will not believe your new statements - you will feel like you are lying as you speak them. But over time that disbelief will fade and you will start feeling better about it and eventually, come to believe it - which means your physical cir****tances will shift to reflect your new belief! :-)

Today's affirmation:

Perception is EVERYTHING!

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

sesmith
on 7/27/12 11:00 am
 It certainly is. I deserve a cookie vs I deserve to take a few minutes to make a protein shake. 
Denise M.
on 7/27/12 11:54 pm
Great post!  This reminds me of a support group meeting my therapist taught on Affirmations.

Wording the new statements is sooooo critical and you have it so right on!!!!  

I may have to dig up my notes from that group meeting and come up with some affirmations for myself.

Most Active