Banded 5/07 Another Fill??

Joanna B
on 11/3/12 11:41 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi There!!! May 2007 I was banded. I was doing great, but I have learned to "work" my band, so I have gained over 20lbs back. over the last couple of years or so. My mom is battling cancer, so she is living with me, and I have to take care of her (which is doing everything for her, she is to weak to do anything on her own)  along with taking care of my family and work full time. This does not leave time to workout., or really time for anything. I tend to eat a lot to hide the pain and stress, which I never thought I would do, because I was never an emotional eater.

So I was thinking of getting another fill. Feb 2011 was my last fill. I just don't know if I need one though. I think because of the stress I'm under my band is crazy! Really! haha! Some days its tight, Ill eat lunch and will be pulling off the side of the road ready to heave because I'm stuck, others I can eat 3 pieces of pizza and nachos! No problem. If I get a fill, it may be the boost I need to start losing and remind me (which I really need) how to eat again. I just dont want to have to get a unfill. I had to do this before and it sucks. What would you do?

Thank you guys! I love my fellow banders! No one really knows what I go through but you!

Ashley A.
on 11/4/12 12:32 am, edited 11/4/12 12:33 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

Hi, sorry you are going through this rough time right now. I wouldn't get a fill, if you already having issues on some days it will most likely only get worse with a fill. I would try to reset yourself by getting back to basics and then see how your restriction is after that. The 5 day pouch test or plateau buster diet may be something you may want to try to reset yourself. I know how frustrating it is when one day you are super tight and then the next you can eat just about anything. Good Luck. Hang in there.

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

grannymedic1
on 11/4/12 1:23 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I agree with waiting. Stress can cause the band to tighten and you are under a ton of stress. Also, the holidays are coming up and that tends to add to stress. I, too, suggest the plateau buster or 5 day pouch test. It will help you break the cycle of carbs/crave/carbs.... Then you can make some reasonable meal plans that are band appropriate. Prepare snacks that are high protein low carb to have on hand when you need something. Also, taking a short walk every day will help with the stress and help clear your mind. It doesn't have to be long, 10-15 min perhaps on lunch break or after work even if you have to drag the kids. Being good to yourself is essential right now; eating right and getting a bit of exercise is all a part of it.

I wish you the best and am sending cyber hugs.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Joanna B
on 11/4/12 1:57 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Thank you both for your reply! I have never heard of  the 5 day pouch test or plateau buster diet,. Where can I find the information on these diets? Sometimes though you know what you have to do to get "back to the basics", its really hard, when you are in this grove of eating what ever is easy to grab. When I first lost the weight, I had so much time to workout and to cook, and now this is not the case. Lunch is usually a smart one, or a frozen meal. These are never low carbs. I always felt better when I was on a low card type of diet, but with all thats going on I just eat what ever is easy and no working out. I just really need to kick myself in the butt and start this again!

Thank you!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/4/12 1:53 am

the 5 day pouch test is more for RNY and it's pretty hardcore.  I have only researched it but never done it.  I felt it would just make me gain more once I was off.  The plateau buster diet is eating protein only - 4 to 5 oz every 3 to 4 hours.  There are specifics posted, but it's zero carbs and only protein.  I have done it a few times and it works to lose weight.

When I have to get my mind back in the game.  Which has been a few times since getting my Band in 2008 and losing 323 lbs.  I just return to my pre op diet -   Less than 20gms of Carbs.  I don't count calories or fats, I don't drink with my meals ever, even if I am not dieting, and I follow the rules just as they were written when I first was banded.   It kind of reminds me of those first days and my motivation and how it felt to weight 488lbs!

I know how it is to be super busy and lose track of my eating.  I buy everything I need for a really healthy low carb salad.  I get 7 bowls with lids and cut everything up, cauliflower, cucumbers, cheese, meat etc.  and make 7 salads for the week.  I put chopped nuts in a baggie and my dressing in a smaller container.  Then each day, when I am hungry or having to work, I grab my salad and take off. It keeps me honest and on track.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Joanna B
on 11/5/12 8:03 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

That's a great idea! I struggle with ideas for lunch at work. I do not like eating the same thing over and over, so I need to change it up, and have it really easy. I think this is why the frozen meals work so great. They just have such a high carb count. Making different salads, and having them premade would help me out.

Jean M.
on 11/4/12 4:20 am
Revision on 08/16/12

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and all the stress in your life. Stress always made my band tighter, and when my mom was deteriorating with Alzheimers, I was way too distracted to pay much attention to good eating skills. So I would concentrate more on some kind of self-care for you in the hope that it'd make the stress easier to handle without involving food. Is there a family member or friend who can fill in for you so you could get a massage or go to a movie or meet a friend for coffee?

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Hislady
on 11/4/12 4:49 am - Vancouver, WA

Wow hon your plate is full and over flowing and I don't mean your food plate. I too would hold off on the fill, I'm afraid it would just be too much with all the stress you are dealing with. Sometimes we have to just do what we can to get thru spots in life. What you really need to do is get that family involved in doing some things to help you out. Do you have siblings or even friends that will come give you a break for even and hour? As women we always feel like we have to do it all ourselves and that's not healthy for us or our families. You need to make sure you have some quiet or alone time for yourself, even if just for a soak in the tub. Are you married? You need to make time for alone time with your spouse too. There must be some people connected with your mom's cancer center that can help with her care. If it takes that much of your time it may be time to consider full time care with a nursing care place. I know no one likes to do that but you also have to save your sanity too.

As for getting back on track, again that is going to require time to prepare healthy foods, again another stress. No matter what you do it's going to require more time you don't have. Maybe for now just concentrate on not gaining more and just spend time with mom since it doesn't sound like she's at all well. Enjoy what time you do have with her whether it is in your home or a nursing home. Just remember that because you can eat it doesn't mean you have to. Most of all just be kind to yourself and the rest should fall into place. If you need to vent we are always here!

SueBee01
on 11/4/12 8:30 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Sorry to hear about your mom. Try preparing just a sandwich for yourself for lunch. I just throw a couple pieces of meat, LF cheese, mustard on a half of a slice of wheat bread. I eat the Arnold's round flat bread and only eat half a slice. It is plenty filling and low carb. You can eat it anywhere.

I would not get a fill, just try to eat smart even if you have to go thru the drive thru. I even eat the grilled snack wrap at McDonalds when in a pinch and just don't eat the wrap.

We are here if you need us!
 Sue

Joanna B
on 11/5/12 8:20 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi There! Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it!

My husband is my rock! He supports me all the way, and gets me out of the house as much as possible. I do not have any family or anyone to assist in taking care of her. I promised her years ago I would not put her in a home, and I feel that if I do, she would give up on life, and I just cant do that to her. She is my best friend. I love having her around too, its jus****ching her in pain and helping her with everything that takes a toll on me. But in the end, I know she is happy, and this makes me happy. Her cancer center here is no help right now. She has been recommended to Ann Arbor, which is almost 3 hours away, for more treatment. We are just waiting for the call to go. They did call in Hospice, but at this time, they are on hold because on Ann Arbor. She is not that bad either,  just the pain is.

I feel like I have so much on me, but also taking care of my health will help me be happy too. I am gaining and this makes me miserable. When I eat crap, I think about the calories, and why I am doing it. Its like I am making excuses. I spent my money on this band and lost all that weight , so I really don't want to be that heavy person again. I want to feel good, and have energy. I come home and just want to sit on my rump, and know that she needs to be cared for along with housework and other things. With energy, I can do some of this stuff =] I think I just need to start at the basics again. The fill would not be the best bet at this time, but maybe reminding myself how the band was at first, will help!

Thanks for listening!

Most Active