gastric band and heart arrhythmias

jkhawk8
on 12/9/12 8:11 am - Alexandria, KY

Has anyone ever experienced an increase in irregular heartbeats with their gastric band?  I've had my band for 4 years now, and lately I've had an increase in PVCs (premature ventricular contractions).  I've had them completely checked out by cardiologists and even an electrophysiologist, they are benign but they are so bothersome because they are so numerous and I feel each and every one.  I've wondered about the placement of the band and any "hanging down" parts it may have and whether that or a possible slippage might be aggravating surrounding tissue which in turn stimulates my quirky heart patterns.

One of my previous cardiologists has mentioned my band on several occasions when I've had chest and neck pain that turned out not to be heart-related.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I have to follow up with my doctors this week for either medication changes or possible (but last resort) cardiac catheter ablation.

Thanks everyone.

Stephanie M.
on 12/9/12 8:16 am

I was having this problem and the arrhythmia was caused by high blood pressure.  I have them infrequently now, but almost always when I'm eating....the chest, neck, jaw, back pain was esophogeal spasms.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

TamaraL
on 12/9/12 10:44 am

The band lays on the vagal nerve that controls hunger.  but i personally had a low heart rate caused by the band placement.

talk to them about the pressure on the vagal nerve causing the heart arrhythmia. 

Tamara

Bette B.
on 12/10/12 12:11 am

I had intermittent irregular heart rhythm that developed into superventricular tachycardia (extremely rapid heartbeat) which had to be fixed surgically, but I don't think it was related to the band. My cardiologist couldn't think of any reason why it would be.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Mell
on 12/10/12 1:46 am

Yes I have had them since about two years after my band also and my cardiologist said the same as yours I have had a few pregnancies so they would say it was my body adjusting to the blood volume changes during and after pregnancy but I still get them. They are kind of scary but I have learned to live with them.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Susans_journey
on 12/10/12 4:33 am

Hi-

Yes, there is a connection between cardiac arrhythmias and irritation to the vagus nerve.  Increased "tone" of the vagus nerve through irritation, eating large amounts of food ( which with the band is really just eating more than the pouch can hold) eating gas-producing foods such as fatty foods and high fiber foods (without working your way up to higher fiber slowly), alcohol, anxiety and reduced tone of the cardiac muscle from a sedentary lifestyle may lend itself to what is called vagally induced arrhythmias, atrial fibrillation and PVCs.  Vagally induced atrial fibrillation generally will occur after eating a meal or in the evening or very early morning, eating rapidly, large bites of food that overstretch the esophagus or sphincter leading to the stomach. .  Not a rule written in stone, but a pattern. 

Although the research is not set in stone regarding the relationship of the placement of the band and the vagus nerve irritation/pressure, there has been empirical evidence (observation/experiences reported) of there being a connection.  PVCs are also an unfortunate consequence of an aging heart (over 40 years of age) a diseased myocardium, thyroid issues, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, to name a few.  They are generally harmless, but bothersome, however if the cause is something that may progress, the PVCs may progress to a more serious arrhythmia that needs treatment.  Also, a TSH, T3 and T4 blood test may be considered to check on the function of the thyroid, particularly in females, as thyroid disease is prevalent in females over males and an often overlooked reason for arrhythmias. 

Hope this helped a bit.  Keep in mind, however, that non-bariatric physicians will understand very little about the intricacies of the band- even my cardiologist- the chief of cardiology at a leading Pennsylvania hospital- understands the minimum but is willing to listen to informed patients.  Good luck.

Stephanie M.
on 12/10/12 5:03 am
It is important to remember that just because we have a band, not every symptom is band related. It is important to consult with your PCP to rule out cardiac involvement. Our bariatric surgeons tend to be very limited in their ability to be open minded about issues that may at first glance seem to be band related...when in fact they aren't. If I hadn't pursued an independent opinion about my digestive issues my band might have been removed even though tests have shown it isn't slipped, eroded, etc.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

MARIA F.
on 12/11/12 5:32 pm - Athens, GA

I wouldn't doubt that it is band related. I remember reading something  6 or 8 mos. ago about the band causing pulmonary problems. If it can cause that, it is entirely possible that it can cause cardiac problems as well. I would think the vagus nerve as well.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active