restriction question

Rebecca73
on 1/4/13 1:15 pm - North Pole , AK

To make a long story short I had my band repositioned back in February due to a slip from the stomach flu. 8 weeks after the repositioning I started fills slowly. And now I am at 6cc and no restriction I can eat anything, never feel full and have gained 40 pounds. So for anything that had their band replaced or repositioned did you have a problem finding your sweet spot again? My Doc. is stumped as to why I am having this issue.

Jean M.
on 1/4/13 9:08 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

It's good to see you again, but I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling. I didn't have my band repositioned, but after I had a complete unfill to treat a band slip, I found my experience of restriction to be completely different from what it was the first time around, and I've heard others say the same thing. My only suggestion is to continue getting fills and pay very close attention to how you feel when you eat, because your stop signals may be different this time.

Good luck!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Rebecca73
on 1/6/13 2:07 pm - North Pole , AK

fills from the start I could tell right away but this time after the slip I feel like there is nothing there. There are no leaks I have that checked each time I went and 3 upper GI's the last 12 months. My band is in a good place and working correctly even the doc had said the opening is small and I should not be able to eat bread or large amount of food yet I can.

Im a little scared to get a fill because in the back of my mind is a slip. I got the stomach bug a few weeks ago and had an house of drive heaves but thank god to slip.

but I kno I need to get the weight off and the only way I can is with my band! So I fly down in a few days and will talk to the doc and go for 1/2cc or 1/4cc and see of that does the trick.

prek-3
on 1/4/13 9:31 pm - Hollywood, FL
Jean is absolutely correct! It's like getting your Band for the first time, take each Fill as a new learning curb. I had a slip 2 yrs ago and I am doing fantastic, but I am in a different mindset now too, so I am not relying on my Band to do all the work.
Take it slow, you will get there,
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Rebecca73
on 1/6/13 2:02 pm - North Pole , AK

I went in to getting the band that this is a tool and not a fix and I still see it that way. Gaining the weight was my own stupid doing but I need the band to help me shed at least 25 of what I gained. I need to feel full after eating and not hungry all the time. This past year had been hard because I can eat bread and that is my big trigger food. After not eating for so long and being able to I could not help it.

NanaB .
on 1/4/13 10:05 pm

I did not get my band repositioned, but I got a replacement band to the new AP band,and I am going on 8 weeks post op and my surgeon has already filled me to 8cc in a 10cc band and it has not done anything for my appetite. I am not looking for the band to stop me from eating, just reduce my portion size and now I feel like I am still PRE OP with 8cc's in this band. My surgeon is giving me bigger fills because of my anatomy and I have experience with the band, but I am concerned about not feeling ANY restriction with 8ccs in my band.

This band does not feel like my old band, with my old band, it only took a few fills to feel some restriction, I am near capacity and I feel nothing. So it will take getting used to my new AP band, my surgeon mentioned that he can go way over 10cc if he needs to, so I should not worry. I am hoping that my second fill brings me some restriction, I really don't want to be very tight this second time around... because I don't want to deal with any band issues for a long time.

If you are almost 1 year out from your revision, and only have 6cc in your band, apparently you have not reached your sweet spot yet, for some it takes much more saline, and that will be my case too.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

justjudy
on 1/5/13 8:34 am, edited 1/5/13 8:36 am - Canton, MI

Same for me.  After a serious unfill for reflux, I have never been able to get back to that place of feeling comfortable and losing. I seem to be either tight enough to "pinch" or loose enough to eat anything.  I sure do miss that experience of being satisfied and full.

Judy

LilSleeved
on 1/5/13 4:42 pm

More often than not, we hear about others who have had complete unfills or repositioning of the Band - who never get their restriction back.  It's fairly common and there is no rhyme or reason for it.

I never had one unfill the entire time I had my band, almost 5 years, but I had several friends who did and others who attend my support group.  All had the same issue you are having.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

cheyenne000
on 1/6/13 8:55 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I have not had a replacement or reposition but I have had a total unfill for several months last year and I have to say I have had my problems with my band fluctuating from tight to loose.  I never felt there was a sweet spot. I finally asked for a complete unfill. When I had the unfill I had 8.75 cc in a 10cc band I really didnt feel full or satisfied at that point . I found out my allergies( which I had never had before) was  causing my band to tighten not sure if it was all the drainage or what was causing it. I had the unfill and went on sinus meds for a few months and the started the re fill. I  have to say I have had better luck with my restriction this time around. I have great portion control and  I am able to eat any thing at any time. I just feel satisfied when I eat and really do not get hungry between meals.  I currently have 6cc in over a 5 month period and have lost 15 of the 25 lbs I gained while un filled. not sure why I never felt great restriction the first time around. It was either to tight or to loose.But I feel for you it really sucks to have a tool that is not working properly. Hope your doc can figure out what the  problem is.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Rebecca73
on 1/6/13 1:59 pm - North Pole , AK

Im not 6cc not and that is the most I have ever had. 3 years ago I was at 6cc and started getting bad heartburn so I asked to take out 1/2 cc and all was good.

I have read many stories from others that have had bands replaced or repositioned and the doc's have no clue as to why. The first 1 to 2 years will fills boy I felt them and now nothing! From all that I have read it might be because the band could not be placed where it was before because of scar tissue.

I just want to not be hungry right after I eat. I the first 3 years were wonderful!

Most Active