Insurance approval for tummy tuck?

whithark
on 1/8/13 7:38 pm - Bristol, RI

Hi there,

Haven't posted in a while, but I had a question I thought someone here might have had the same experience.  I am currently training for the Boston Marathon, and lately after my long runs, my panniculus (excess abdominal skin-from both weight loss and carrying twins full term!) becomes very red, irritated and numb. 

After the marathon I'm seriously considering abdominoplasty. I was wondering if anyone here has had a tummy tuck and if so, did you talk to your surgeon about it being covered by insurance?  I've heard that a panniculectomy (removal of skin) is more likely to be covered than a tummy tuck, which is more extensive?  I'd prefer the tummy tuck but if one is covered and one isn't, that'll make a big difference.  I've started to take pictures and will continue to document any irritation.   If anyone has any experiences about this and could share it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jaime 

prek-3
on 1/8/13 8:20 pm - Hollywood, FL
Congratulations !

I had a lower body lift a little over a year ago. It was not covered for me.

But head over to the plastic surgery board an you will get great help there.
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

crystal M.
on 1/8/13 9:38 pm - Joliet, IL

I had a friend that had a tummy tuck approved from her insurance but just the bottom part of her tummy not the top part...if that makes sense??  She had to pay out of pocket for the upper part...which was $2000. 

She was approved because her hanging skin was causing lower back pain.  But she has lots of hanging skin. 

pineview01
on 1/9/13 12:53 pm - Davison, MI

You need to have your PCP document this as often as possible.  It will depend on your insurance but, you need to show medical neccesity.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active