What's your latest NSV?

prek-3
on 1/30/13 6:23 pm - Hollywood, FL
Morning all!
I fell off the wagon this weekend, but, I am PROUD to say, I got back on! And it didn't take me a whole other week, or a "I'll start on Monday" to get back to it!!!

What's your latest NSV?
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Jean M.
on 1/30/13 8:10 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

This is kind of a sideways NSV.

In the many, many years I was obese, I heard many, many people make snide or cruel remarks about fat people in my presence. The remarks weren't directly about me, but those people seemed unaware of how those remarks might make me feel. I never spoke up. I just kept my hurt to myself, partly because I was ashamed of my body.

But one thing I've learned during my WLS journey is that I have as much right to express my opinions and feelings as anybody else, provided they're not racist, sexist, sizeist, etc.

At the fitness studio yesterday, there was (as usual) quite a bit of discussion about The Biggest Loser (a show I have never watched), and one woman said of the contestants, "I just don't understand how they could let themselves get that big."

That's the kind of statement that makes me feel like my head is about to explode. I wanted very much to say, "That's like saying you don't understand how my mother LET herself get Alzheimer's, or how my friend Ellen LET herself get breast cancer."

Susan is a college graduate and in most ways a nice person. Also, she's a close friend of my JCP store manager, so I took a deep breath before I said, "They didn't necessarily LET themselves get that big. Obesity is caused by many things, not just conscious eating behavior."

Susan said, "Well, maybe. Maybe things like medications...." her voice trailed off and the discussion died.

I suspect that Susan will go on thinking that obese people choose to be obese, but I'm glad I was able to speak my mind in a civilized fashion instead of (a) burning with shame, or (b) telling Susan she's an ignorant twit.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

vlp1968
on 1/31/13 3:04 am

Good for you prek for getting right back on track.  It is so tough to do.  like you said, it's easy to say well I blew it for now might as well give in to all my cravings and start Monday.  Jean, you did a great job.  I think many people with eating/weight issues tend to bottle their feelings.  I often think of the right thing to say after the fact lol. 

grannymedic1
on 1/31/13 4:49 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Yeah, my eating has been poor this week, too. I had everything cleaned up and was mostly craving free but with some recent stressors I have taken a step backwards. I think having a 4 day migraine had something to do with food choices. I wanted comfort and while I knew that good food would make it easier to deal with stress I went back to old habits. I am not going to beat myself up about it, though.

My latest NSV is that I recently noticed that I don't have to use the handicapped stall in restaurant restrooms, now. Before I didn't have room to turn around, see my pants waistband and fasten them. Now I head for the smaller stalls. It has been possible for over 2 1/2 years but I just "clicked" last week. I think going to the restroom in an elementary school while at a basketball game for our second grade grandson got me started thinking.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

crystal M.
on 1/31/13 9:23 am - Joliet, IL

Ok I have an awesome NSV.  I haven't lost a lot of weight the last 2 months.  I think maybe 5 lbs total. 

In my bottom drawer of my dresser I have all of my clothes that will fit me "one day"....  I go thrift store shopping all of the time, so if I see some cute jeans in a smaller size I buy them.  Why not they're only $3.99. 

So last week for some reason I decided to see how my "skinny" clothes would fit.  I had no reason to think they would fit any better than they would fit the last time I tried them on.  I only lost 5lbs.  Well OMG!!!  Good thing I checked.  Not only were 2 pairs of my "skinny" jean too big now!!!  A bunch of them fit me!!!  WOW!!!   

Proof positive that you can lose inches when you aren't losing weight.  I went down a size!!!   I have said it once and I will say it again...I would rather lose inches than pounds!!!!  Because those inches were healthy lean inches that were lost because I worked my ass off in the gym...not because I deprived myself of food.

The clothes I normally wear I guess they were feeling a little big but I didn't realize they were a whole size too big!!! 

Most Active