Barium Swallow ?

MustangLady
on 2/22/13 4:46 am - MA
Just got the results of my barium swallow that I had done yesterday and seem like the band and everything is perfect. It does show reflux and I understand that the fluid was coming back up but not sure how its fixed. Does anyone know what can be done? My band has been empty since mid November due to nausea and then trying to adjust to right amount then not being able to swallow water and food coming up in the middle of the night drowning me.

~ CJ BradleyLapband Surgery 7/2007 with many complications. 2012 Seeking Revision to RNY. 2013 Revision denied. Trying to work with band.

Mell
on 2/22/13 5:34 am

For me it was a combination of a small H hernia and scar tissue around my stomach. They removed the band and replaced with a larger one.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Hislady
on 2/22/13 5:46 am - Vancouver, WA

Honestly in 9 cases out of 10 they will say the band looks fine and it's not until they actually get inside that they find massive amounts of scar tissue. If you continue to have problems keep pushing because it is not right for you to have that type of tightness for no reason. Often times it is from scar tissue built up under the band so it doesn't show on any tests.

MustangLady
on 2/22/13 6:19 am - MA

I was denied a revision because  I was successful with the band and now I am not compliant. Well Duh of course I am not. Its now not working and I had a severe injury that prevents me from doing just about anything. Very frustrating!

~ CJ BradleyLapband Surgery 7/2007 with many complications. 2012 Seeking Revision to RNY. 2013 Revision denied. Trying to work with band.

Neenah04
on 2/22/13 7:48 am - PA

Just had my band repositioned today and a second hiatal hernia repair.  Same symptoms but my swallow showed the band had a significant delay in allowing anything through.  Ice chips wouldn't stay down.  Hoping for the best for you.

Nic M
on 2/22/13 8:07 am

My tests all came back okay, too. Meanwhile, my diaphragm (and the Phrenic-Vagal nerves) were being damaged beyond repair.

It's just not possible to see the full extent of damage from a barium swallow, I'm sorry to say.  SO many of us have experienced the exact same thing as you are experiencing now and I'm truly sorry for you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MustangLady
on 2/22/13 8:46 am - MA

how do they see the whole picture without doing surgery? are there other tests I should ask for?

Nic M
on 2/22/13 9:23 am

They don't see the whole picture, I guess. I found out how many adhesions I have from abdominal surgeries through colonoscopy... found the hiatal hernia, ulcers, gastritis through endoscopy.  The diaphragmatic damage was "diagnosed" through process of elimination, for lack of a better description.  I had steroid injections in my shoulder (in spite of my insisting that it was NOT joint related  but gut.) That was painful and unnecessary. But I had the band done about a decade ago, so the complications weren't known back then. It was unthinkable that the band could be causing such damage, I guess.

If you're having complex painful issues, there's more than a good chance that damage is occurring. Even when you're told that everything "looks fine," there is damage if you're experiencing pain.

Good luck to you. I hope you get some answers and feel better.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

pineview01
on 2/22/13 12:35 pm - Davison, MI

My Barium showed mine was perfect to.  When the did the scope they found out it wasn't.  But, it took getting the band out to find out how much damage it did. Once that happened and with all prior documentation I was able to get the revision approved for medical necessity. I had to go thru the process all over to get approval.  I also had to wait four months to get the sleeve.  When he got in there it took the first 45 minutes to fix the damage before they could to the sleeve.

So you need the scope for starters.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

grannymedic1
on 2/22/13 11:16 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

My UGI showed every thing with my band as perfect, too. I have heard others that also have had endos done and were fine there, too. Fortunately for me when I wasn't improving after 8 weeks of complete unfill, worse actually, my surgeon very quickly said my band had to come out. I didn't want to hear that but he sent the paperwork to my insurance without including the ugi results (might work against us) and specified dysphagia as the reason. He also told me that they can't tell what kind of damage there is until they get in there. I had no damage so his guess is that my body was just trying to reject my band.

The point is, if you don't improve you need to insist that your surgeon take it further and support you by sending the appeal to your insurance supporting you. In the meantime, document every bite you eat, when and what type of trouble you have, e.g. stuck, reflux, etc. so that if it takes another appeal you can prove that you are being compliant. Log exercise, too. You can find online help for chair exercises, etc. My physical therapist once told me that shopping at Walmart could be considered part of my program, too. Perhaps some 1-2 pound weights could be included. Anything to show you are trying to do your best.

I had done well with my band as well and my weight was still down when I was approved for revision so don't give up. Never give up when something is wrong.

Good luck, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active