Giving it a "go" again...advice?

Malg22
on 3/7/13 12:36 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Good morning fellow banders.

I am working at being back on track with my band. I delivered healthy-almost 7lbs each-twin baby girls on December 29th, 2012 and feel ready to be back in the swing of things. I had no problems at all with my band and a twin pregnancy and got a .2cc fill early in pregnancy.

I've been back to my surgeon and got a .5 cc fill 2 weeks ago. In my 11cc band, I am 11cc full now. I am discouraged for a few reasons..I am at a higher weight now than when I got my band (I've never hit that sweet spot of restriction--I am either at no restriction or puking because I am too tight...) and I have no restriction at all. I go back in 2 weeks for a check up with Dr. Custer and will discuss this with him too. I wonder if they will do a residual and check the amount actually in my band?

How can I get back on track? I feel discouraged. Been reading about a pouch test...what is that? Would it be beneficial for me to do that? I've been banded since Dec. 2012 and just didn't think I would be with NO restriction....*sigh*..

Thanks for your advice and input~

Zee Starrlite
on 3/7/13 1:02 am, edited 3/7/13 1:04 am

You know, I would think that you still have lots of hormonal things going on with your body.  Are you breast feeding?  I would not mess with fills too much right now especially tight fills.  Your body has just been through a tremendous doing.  14lbs of baby plus, plus, plus.  Give yourself a break.  Just start eating healthy and tracking your food.  I can't imagine what your life is like right now.  Enjoy your babies.  EAT Healthy, watch your portions sizes, and move your body.

For you, the 5 day pouch is not a good idea in my opinion.  You need to stabilize, get on your feet.  What you can do is follow the rules of WLS:  Protein first

Water - at least 64 ounces (you've got to stay super hydrated if you are nursing)  30/30 water rule - try not drinking 30 mins before and not drinking 30 mins after eating

No Snacking - or smart planned snacking - have protein snacks like boiled eggs, measured portions cheese, measured portions of  nuts etc.

Exercise - walk those beautiful babies :)

MOSTLY PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND DO WHAT IS BEST MEDICALLY FOR BOTH YOU AND YOUR BABIES.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Malg22
on 3/7/13 2:08 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you Layla!

I am not breastfeeding. Trying to get to a new routine with twins has been interesting! Great part of having our twins was they were in addition to our 3 sons (13,9,6) and daughter (4). It's been an adjustment!

Great reminders on the importance of of the basics on any WLS and will set new goals to make sure I am following them.

Thank you!

vlp1968
on 3/8/13 12:10 am

Wow are you busy!  I can't even imagine.  I was a foster parent to one 6 year old and that was hard.  So much responsibility.  Anyway, I have had a similar experience as you with the band.  Either no restriction or too tight and throwing up even protein shakes.  I did have a few weeks here and there where I was in a good spot. Despite the band not being the tool hoped it would I did loose all my excess weight.  I kept it off about a year and then steadily regained about half.  I have stopped the gaining but haven't lost any over the last couple months.  Everyday is a new day, and I know I need to develop some consistency with diet and exercise.

I have started journaling again, which I think is helping.  I have also tried to be more active on this board, and 1 other lapband board I go to. My trainer has been out with medical issues this past week, she hopes to be back Monday.  Hopefully that will get me back in the gym not only doing weights with her, but getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Good luck!  We can do this!

pineview01
on 3/8/13 10:46 am, edited 3/8/13 10:49 am - Davison, MI

The thing that worries me is when you state, ''--I am either at no restriction or puking because I am too tight."   I had that happen too.  You should never be puking because you are too tight.  If you never had restriction, I would wonder about a leak or, in two cases I have seen the buckle broke and so no restriction.  It also happens with erosion.

With you being tight enough to be puking at all says you may need an UN fill.  Things may need to settle down before you try again.  Have they done a scope to make sure things are OK and not inflamed or stretched.

If you have a realize they can't take out 100% of the fluid to check like they can with the lap band. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Malg22
on 3/8/13 11:19 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you for your replies. The last time I was tight to the extent of getting sick was January of 2012. Had some taken out. Seemed better. Then found out I was expecting..then it was twins..made appt with my surgeon and he gave me a .2cc fill to give me more restriction (which didn't work but being pregnant and knowing that things were going to be definitely moving around in there I opted to keep on the safe side-no more fills, etc.) I was able to eat healthy and my twins grew excellent and thrived.  When would be too tight (unfortunately puking) I could keep down water/and my protein drinks made a little thinner than normal. Of course, I lost weight then. So, it's been over a year since I have been so tight to the point of being sick.

I do have a Realize band in. Dr really had a tough time finding my port at my last visit 2 weeks ago and I was very, very sore at the sight and had bruising the size of a few quarters. Thank goodness I was sprayed at the site with the numbing spray. They have did a residual before on me to check fluid about 1 1/2 yr ago and it was pretty close to what my chart showed as being in there. At least that is what I was told.

I've never had a scope done. I just find it weird that I have had extreme restriction before but now, nothing. And I am starting my meals with protein-not drinking 30 mins before-during or 30 after. I can drink cold liquids and feel it pass thru very quickly.

I am planning on keeping on with the tools I learnt in the beginning-sure don't want another surgery, however, I need this "tool" to help me along with feeling the full feeling and working like it did in the beginning.

Even in my pregnancy-pregnant with twins I only gained 30 lbs-stayed active and felt GREAT the whole time. No probs at all.

Ready to see my dr. Should I request a scope at my appt to check things out? Maybe he will have some sort of an idea on what our next step is. I'm at his new office-the barix where he was practicing closed down completely so now the office is 2 hours away instead of 1.5 hrs.

Thanks again! Didn't mean to write a book! :-)

pineview01
on 3/9/13 9:34 am - Davison, MI

Write away!  The more people know the easier to help, support you. If you are starting over You should ask him to check everything out for you.  If you haven't been tight for over a year and have NO restriction and you have all the liquid in the band, than that leaves out leak.  I would want a scope to rule out erosion.  Than I would have to wonder about a broken buckle.   I think you are the first person I meet that got a fill while pregnant.  Some get some out and others get totally unfilled.  I haven't a clue what would be the right thing. 

For now go back to basic like your are.  Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active