Don't laugh but I have a question

michele1
on 3/18/13 7:18 am, edited 3/18/13 7:20 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Hello everyone!

It has been almost 5 years since getting my band so I want to see if anything has changed with regards to getting a fill.

I had to have all the fill taken out because I was diagnosed with Colon cancer (found during my 50th birthday colonoscopy present lol), had to have colon/rectal surgery and needed a nasogastric tube.

Now six months later I am ready to get back on track after a very big gain.  I went to see my Surgeon today to get a fill and discuss a revision to the sleeve. He gave me back 4 cc's my question is: editing to say that I can still guzzle water

Have the rules following a fill changed? Since I know what my max level is (around 6.5) do I still need to do liquids, then mushy then solids or has this changed? I forgot to ask when I left lol...

He is sending me for a upper GI just to check things out because it has been awhile, but stated that he might not consider revising me if all is working ok and because I had great success with losing before :-(

Thanks,

Michele

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

annie0039
on 3/18/13 9:35 am

WELL It's WONDERFUL that your back and DOING WELL!!!angry

The "rules" depend on your Doctor, After having a fill my doctor usually wants you to take it easy as far as eating goes..remember to chew, chew, chew, I have never been told to go back to liquids,mush,then solids (maybe because they neglected to tell me a lot of things before my band) ... another story, for another time. I personally just had 4cc removed last week so I'm back to 5cc in a 14cc band. So I'm able to eat anything, but haven't had the desire to overeat YETindecision

I'm not sure this helps but hopefully someone here can post more information.

Again So happy that your doing well !!!!!

giants21
on 3/18/13 10:34 am
For my Dr. The rule after a fill is liquids that day next day mushies. Than solids. Good luck
michele1
on 3/19/13 12:25 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Thank you so much!

Michele

michele1
on 3/19/13 12:23 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Jackie, thank you so much!! I really don't notice it yet and it is TOM so I am hoping I will get another fill when I go back for the upper GI results!

Michele

grannymedic1
on 3/19/13 2:28 am, edited 3/19/13 2:29 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I am so happy to hear you are doing so well and that your health is good.

As for the rules after a fill; my surgeon says liquids for 24-48 hours then softs for the same, then solids. You may not remember that a fill can take upwards of 3 weeks to settle in so don't rush them, you could easily get too tight. Remember also, that when you have been totally unfilled the amount of fill you need for optimal restriction can be either less, the same, or more. The same is kind of rare. Oh, and if you do get stuck it is liquids for 24 hours after and sometimes more if it happens again.

Welcome back and keep coming back here. Good luck to you.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

michele1
on 3/19/13 4:22 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Sue,

Thank you so much for responding!  I would have never thought that the restriction level might be different this time because of not having anything in there for six months. I did however end up trying a ground chicken patty for lunch with sauteed spinach and onions......went down no problem, was hoping for more restriction and less hunger.

I had oatmeal w apples for breakfast and was hungry again faster than I wanted to but figured it was because it wasn't solid.

I will still take it slow though, I can go back after my upper GI and hopefully he will give me a little more......I see where you had a revision in August, I hope it is working out for you. My Surgeon said that if all looks good then he'd might not consider one with me. I have 30+ to lose, I am a easy gainer, slow loser and an emotional eater (whether happy, sad, upset ect).

I realize now that life is too short and I have been obsessed with my weight since elementary school so time to get things moving in the right direction.

Thanks again!

Michele

Most Active