This explains my no restriction...

Malg22
on 4/4/13 4:31 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

Hello everyone. I posted about a month ago as I was getting back on track after having twins on Dec. 29th. Well, I went to the dr 5 weeks ago, got a fill of a .5 and left there hoping to feel restriction. Strange enough-that put me at 11ccs in my 11 cc band. I just went back for a check on 4/1. Was asked how my restriction level was and I told them that I had no restriction whatsoever. My surgeon did a residual, called another surgeon in the office in and they both only got almost 3cc out of my band. So, it was determined that my band is leaking and I am scheduled for a band removal in one week. Anyone else had this done? I feel completely frustrated-deflated-upset-and all of the above. My goal was to at this point get at a good restriction level and have lost my excess weight.

Any experience on this would be greatly, greatly appreciated. How was your recovery? Were you in pain afterwards similar to when your band was placed? I have 6 kiddos..and I just see this uphill battle.

But..in saying that..I am still positive in a sense for the long haul. We have begun the steps to get approval for a gastric bypasss. My surgeon feels it's best to remove band-let stomach heal and then schedule another surgery. I wish the diet changes along with exercise would have paid off, but I have to tell myself it was nothing i did wrong. My surgeon said that it was either a faulty band or at one of my fills the line must have been poked by the syringe. 

Thanks for listening

Kate -True Brit
on 4/4/13 4:49 am - UK

Can't it be repaired? My leak was in the tubing itself and was repaired in a short operation about four years ago and has been fine since. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Malg22
on 4/4/13 6:38 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13

My surgeon said that it is too hard to diagnose where exactly the lead is. He said it could be right at the band, in the line or at the port, so he felt it was best to remove it completely. I have not had success with the band but just planned to work harder to make sure it was nothing that I was doing. I've never had a problem exercising-it was just getting to the point where I felt like I had the right restriction in.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/5/13 3:12 am - UK

Your surgeon knows best!!  Mine just injected dye into the port and looked under xray to see where it left the tubing! It was very obvious. But I suppose if there is more than one hole it would be harder

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Pickles123
on 4/5/13 6:33 am

I had a defective port and it took me 6 months from the original surgery to get the doctor to test it out. It was a defect in the port.  Used  dye to find the leak  but it was on the back side of the port and did not show.  They had to take the whole port out of my body. to find it..  The doctor said it was in no way my fault.

Please get your band removed and get the gastric bypass.  I will be getting my band out soon and I can't wait.  I  would like to know if it hurts much too.  If anyone can answer.

pineview01
on 4/5/13 10:42 am - Davison, MI

It didn't hurt any more getting the band out than it did going it.  Now, the sleeve surgery didn't hurt as bad as either of the two.  It depends on how much damage.  May port was totally encapsulated in scare tissue.  They had to cut it out and than exorcize the scare capsule.  That with the removal of other scare tissue had to be performed.  If they just had to remove the band I'm sure it would have been a lot less painful than getting the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active