Fills after Five Years?

gouldsfiya
on 5/16/13 8:27 pm

I would like to know if there are banders who have had fills after many years.  My band is almost 6 years old.  My band has an 11 cc capacity.  I initially had 3 fills and at the last fill I had less than 6 cc in my band.  I was always told that I could have more restriction later if I needed it.  I still have some restriction and have kept off my 107 pounds; give or take 3-5 pounds.  But, after all this time, I can eat more than that first year.  Has anyone had a fill after a long period of time?  How did that go?  Do you think it is a good idea?   Thanks.  

NanaB .
on 5/16/13 9:11 pm

Hello...if it's been a long time since you've had a fill, you may want to do it under fluoroscopy or have an Upper GI to check things out, sometimes if we can eat more after after not having a fill for long periods of time, it could be dilation, pouch or esophagus, but it could simply mean you need a little tweak in your band, but if you are not having any adverse symptoms of heartburn or reflux you are probably ok and just need a small fill.

Also you may want to ask yourself do you REALLY need more fill, sometimes more is not always better, especially if you have not gained much weight, you may just want to get back to basics, up your exercise or walking or just up your proteins for a few weeks to get back on track, it seems like you are really doing well.

Usually long term bandsters only need a very small amount added .1cc can make a huge difference. Good luck and congrats on your long term success

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Zee Starrlite
on 5/17/13 2:48 am

This is exactly what happened to me.  It was over a year since I had a fill and I felt fine, I could just eat more. So in for my fill and doc says we need to do a UGI before I do anything.  And damned, damned, damned there it was, my esophagus was dilated - it is why I felt I could eat more.  That was devastating news because I loved the life my band had allowed me to have and I had absolutely no apparent issues except feeling like I could eat a little more than I was comfortable with.  Oh, and I was hungry, real hungry.  But no coughing, puking nor pain, nothing. 

Now this absolutely can be that your fill has evaporated or shifted or maybe the band has shifted a bit.   A little loose is ALWAYS better.

All best.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Hislady
on 5/17/13 4:41 am - Vancouver, WA

I'd say leave well enough alone. It seems like every time someone starts fiddling with a decent fill it starts a progression of disaster. I'd say put more effort into using the fill level you already have,I think you should be able to eat a bit more than the first year because you were in losing mode then. You are in maintanance now and should be eating more, you should control intake not the band.

band2sleeverevision
on 5/20/13 12:52 pm
VSG on 02/25/13

Well....I was in the same spot.  I lost 100 lbs., started to see some creep up, eating more, etc. and decided to get another fill.  Wrong move.....band slipped and it had to come out.  I ended up with a revision to the sleeve.

I would leave it alone.  As long as you're eating the right item in the right quantity and exercising, you're good.  Jessie used to always tell me that you may need an adjustment but the band adjustment is the last one to try.

Most Active