Success Stories

Shamira
on 6/19/13 4:03 pm - Duluth, GA

Is there anyone that has had success with the Lap Band and did not have to get the Sleeve, DS or Bypass? I'm reading lots on those that have had problems with the band but i'm sure there are some that have had no complications.  I'm weighing options here and researching everything i can before i make a decision. 

MARIA F.
on 6/19/13 4:51 pm - Athens, GA

Hey Shamira. We're almost neighbors.

Now as far as "success" with the band, you always want to ask how long they have had their bands. Some are successful short term, but you will find very few that have been "successful" 5+ years. And if you do, they are generally on their 2nd band, or have had to have some type of revision/repair surgery. So think twice, cut once. Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

NanaB .
on 6/19/13 11:10 pm

Again Maria, you will NOT FIND many "Successful" 5+ year Bypass people either, well....with the Sleeve the numbers are still out....many just disappear from the boards at 3 years out....LOL....some are now beginning to show up at 2 years post op with the Sleeve begging for help with weight gain....SO again no surgery is perfect, I know you have personal hatred for the band and that is OK...but I am just putting things in perspective and being fairkiss

At least if the pouch stretches with the band you can either get it surgically fixed, or a brand new band, or revise to another procedure...which may fail in the future too....OR you can use the band correctly and incorporate lifestyle changes that ALL surgeries require at 5 + years out.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

MARIA F.
on 6/21/13 11:57 am - Athens, GA

I'm trying to be fair as well. I have never claimed that VSG and RNY don't have complications. Hell even a little tonsillectomy can have complications, lol.

~At least if the pouch stretches with the band you can either get it surgically fixed, or a brand new band, or revise to another procedure~

Yeah ask Steph how that's working out for her!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Shamira
on 6/20/13 6:37 am - Duluth, GA

Hello ma'am! Thank you for the feedback.

NanaB .
on 6/19/13 11:20 pm

There are many that had success with their bands and did not have to get the Sleeve, DS or Bypass, I didkiss....I had a hernia repair last year and old band removed and new band replaced and I would still get the band over and over again...it works for me...

The band works for ME, it is not meant to work for everyone and that is OK, just research the band and how it works, the dangers of being too tight, getting to the sweet spot, finding a band-friendly surgeon that offers great aftercare, learning how to eat with your band to prevent food from being stuck, exercise and nutrition, -- those things are the key to success with the lap band.

If the Bypass and Sleeve would not stretch or cause life long dumping syndrome/hypoglycemia or require vitamins for life (which I am not good at taking)....I would have surely revised to the Bypass, but some people welcome and want dumping syndrome  -- I did not, it's a personal decision. There are lap band only sites that you may want to visit, where more lap banders post, I can't name them here Just google them.

Good luck!

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Shamira
on 6/20/13 6:47 am - Duluth, GA

Thank you very much.

cheynne03
on 6/20/13 12:38 am, edited 6/20/13 1:33 am - West Monroe, LA
I consider myself a success, I have lost and successfully maintained a 70 lb loss. I will be honest with you, it is work keeping the weight off. Next month will be a year since I have been going to bootcamp 3 - 4 times per week. I watch everything I eat and I work out very very hard. But I am able to do that now thanks to the lapband. I don't for one minute regret my decision to get the band. It has been a total game changer for me. Now that is not to say that I wont have problems at some point but I was banded 5 1/2 years ago and I just recently had my fluid reduced to 2 cc in a 10 cc band to see if I could manage on my own and so far so good.

Oh and this is my first band, my only surgery and it still work properly.

Theresa
Zee Starrlite
on 6/20/13 1:15 am

I briefly looked at your profile.  You are a beautiful young lady with a very high BMI!  Don't waste your time.  If you were seriously going for the RNY originally, why not check out the Duodenal Switch?  Most long term ppl here are on their 2nd band. But I'd support you even if you chose a band or no surgery at all for weight loss.  In the end we still have to make healthy choices and exercise every single day for the rest of our lives just like other healthy people who have not had WLS.  Being healthy takes upkeep like bathing, brushing your teeth, hair etc.

I wish you well Shamira.  Believe me, you will not regret having WLS.  As long as you keep up with what you are supposed to do, our qualities of life absolutely rock.

Much love,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Shamira
on 6/20/13 6:43 am - Duluth, GA

Thank you for your kind words.  I need to update my profile because it's been a while since 2008.  I started working out last year and changed my diet with a personal trainer and am till at it.  So far i have dropped 50lbs on my own.   Just recently my doctor asked if i thought about it.  I have and i'm still researching everything and i haven't stopped working out.  This i a life decision not just a short term deciion.   

Most Active