How do we know when our band is too tight?

Laurena
on 6/23/13 8:57 am - Louisville, KY

I am really confused about the tightness of the band.It seems like I got a nice restriction,when I eat slow and small bites,now if I eat fast I have problems or drink cold  water I throw up .I can eat most foods ,but not more then a good cup full.But slider foods are the best.Does that mean I am too tight?

Hislady
on 6/23/13 9:51 am - Vancouver, WA

It sounds like you are about right, If you were too tight you would throw up alot of what you eat no matter how small the bites or how well chewed. Sliders always go thru and of course taste the best so they aren't a good indicator. If you can eat dense protein (meat, well chewed) and some veggies then you are doing fine. I wouldn't want you to be any tighter tho because sounds like you are where even a little fill could put you into being too tight.

annie0039
on 6/23/13 12:01 pm

Being "too tight" is usually when your throwing up everything liquid or otherwise. And can also be if your unable to handle your own saliva without wanting to, or throwing up. eating slider foods are just that, foods that go through the band easily and are usually of no nutritional value. That is the reason were told to avoid them enlightened

If your able to eat a cup of protein/veg's and are satiated for 3-5 hrs that is Ideal with the band.

grannymedic1
on 6/23/13 12:10 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I agree with the others, you are in a good spot. Don't go further.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Laurena
on 6/23/13 12:26 pm - Louisville, KY

Thank you both for your reply...great help! I will stay that way!enlightened

NanaB .
on 6/23/13 11:41 pm, edited 6/23/13 11:44 pm

It depends, I've had restriction like that in the past, and if I made ONE WRONG MOVE, my band would get tighter and tighter so where I had to get some saline removed.

Please note with this type of restriction, you can EASILY dilate your pouch, so always be mindful of your portion sizes at this level and keep it at only 4 oz or less per meal if you can. The more saline in your band, the more potential problems can happen over long periods of time.

It sounds like you are at a happy medium, but at the edge of being too tight. You SHOULD be able to drink cold water without throwing up, if you are able to drink cold water slowly and it goes down you are OK, but if you drink cold water and it comes back up, and sits in your chest and then drizzle through, then you are too tight.

Also cold water will further constrict the band and make it tighter, for example  you should not drink cold water right before a meal IF YOU ARE TOO TIGHT, but if your band is in the GREEN ZONE, you should be able to drink cold water and then eat a little amount of solids.

A good test of ideal restriction, there should be a brief delay with cold liquids, if cold water sits in your chest even if you drink it slowly, and you start sliming and spitting it up, you are too tight, and may need a a tiny bit out like .01cc.

I consider my restriction at the sweet spot, when I wake up in the morning my band is a bit tight and if I drink cold liquids I feel restriction and I have to drink cold liquids slowly but the liquids go down with a brief delay, and by lunch time I can eat a little more, but the more water I drink between meals the less I can eat and I am less hungry the more water I drink.

I do not plan on adding any more saline to my band and I can eat all foods, the band is restricting solids good and there is just a brief delay with cold liquids, but I do not slime, the only time I may slime is if I try to eat thick bread.

Good luck

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Laurena
on 6/24/13 9:51 pm - Louisville, KY

Good advice NanaB......like your posts....Laurena

Lisarenae73
on 6/25/13 2:39 am

Does anyone get a little discomfort if they get worried? My tightens when I get upset. Does anyone else have this problem? I had it unfilled and started gaining.

How do you know when  you are at your sweet spot?

Any feedback would be great.

NanaB .
on 6/25/13 2:59 am

This is why I keep my band on the looser side of the green zone, the band is filled with saline and some days, it will get tighter and looser, because the band is fitted around your stomach and there will be ebb flow, the band can tighten up when stressed, menstrual cycle, hormonal changes, sickness, cold, sinuses issues, etc.

This is why it is recommend to not get the band filled very tight where when it does tighten up, you will have room left where you can still get liquids down.

A happy medium "sweet spot" is when you can eat all foods and get satisfied on about 1 cup of solid food, and you are losing weight IF YOU ARE EATING HEALTHY and exercising, and you have little to no vomiting and you can drink freely.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

Lisarenae73
on 6/25/13 3:02 am

Thanks NanaB. I am comfortable with what I eat, and I do not throw up unless I eat too fast or eat too much. I drink with no issues, and eat much less after I had it filled again. I think I am just paranoid that I am going to have problems.

Most Active