Lapband slipped

bagheera1005
on 9/19/13 11:34 am - Irwin, PA
I found out last month my band had slipped. I had no issues while pregnant 3 years ago. This time while pregnant I was throwing up all the time due to acid reflux. Well that is what I thought it was. I ended up seeing a Gastroenterologist and they did a scope. I went straight to see my surgeon to let out my band. I feel like I have gained so much weight. I have an appointment Monday to talk about my options. 1. Try and fill it again to see if i can tolerate it. 2. Restitch it back up(80% chance of failure is what my dr said. 3. Gastric bypass. She said she would not make my pouch as small as someone who has not already had weight loss surgery. Im torn and don't know what to do yet. Has anyone had their band slip after so many years? Thank you for taking the time to read this.
annie0039
on 9/19/13 12:14 pm

My Band slipped, blush (after 4 yrs)and was just removed this past April 2013. I haven't revised, not sure yet if I will...

Unfortunately MANY regain weight, some, sometimes ALL that they have lost

I'm happy to hear your Doctor told you that Re-stitching the band has a HIGH Failure rate, the BAND ITSELF has a high failure rate, at least 50%. It's unlikely that getting refilled will solve the problem, mine was just the opposite, once my band slipped I wasn't able to tolerate any fills, and the reflux just got worse.

I'm curious WHY your Surgeon feels that you don't need a Regular Gastric Bypass pouch? Yes. you've had WLS before but if you still have a certain amount of weight to lose then why not just do it the normal way? And have you considered a Vertical Gastric Sleeve? If their is no damage from the band numerous band members have opted to revise to the sleeve. It is a Restrictive WLS and from what I have heard from others that have had it done say it's what was Promised with the Band without all the complications..just a thought..

Good luck in your Decision it's a difficult one 

bagheera1005
on 9/19/13 12:47 pm - Irwin, PA
I'm not sure why she said that about the pouch. I will be asking her questions on Monday. I kinda want to go in the direction to see if fills will help 1st. There was a reason why I wanted a band and not bypass 6 years ago. I didn't know if I wanted kids. I was still going out drinking and having a good time with friends. A lot has changed since then. I'm married with a 3yr old and a 3 month old. I don't drink that much now. I lost half my weight I needed to lose the 16 months of having it done. I then lost my insurance so I couldn't get it filled when I needed it. I have kept the weight off. I gained 40lbs(all water due to preeclampsia) the 1st pregnancy and lost it in 1 month. I gained 20 this last pregnancy and lost it all in about 3 weeks. I have been very lucky to keep my weight stable. I still have 50lbs to lose.
pineview01
on 9/23/13 10:51 am, edited 9/23/13 10:51 am - Davison, MI

You might want to check out the failed band boards. You will see many that have had the same issue. Some would get the band restitched without luck or even new bands placed. I didn't have a slip, just the band tighten up on it's own.  I had it totally unfilled and than they started the re-fills.  I never could get back to where it worked.

I have one question as you stated you didn't want the RNY in the first place.  I too didn't want the RNY in the first place and that is why I too got the band.  Didn't she give you the choice of another surgery or doesn't she do anything other than those two.  I revised to a sleeve as it to is only restrictive without the re-routing of the RNY.  It worked for me like I thought the band would and without all the time and expense of the band. Check out the the surgery board and research the different ones.

Good Luck with what ever choices you make.

Edited to add I am down 40 pounds lower than with the band and only 15 pounds form "normal" BMI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

bagheera1005
on 9/25/13 8:21 am - Irwin, PA
I met with my dr on Monday. I gained 11lbs since August 8th. That is when they did the unfill. She said the sleeve is not covered by my insurance and she does not think I would benefit from it. She did stress the failure of stritching it up again. She also told me if she would do the fills on my band I would end up sick again and would need to do an emergency surgery. I am going to have RNY done. She is submitting my info to the insurance company.
pineview01
on 9/25/13 2:29 pm - Davison, MI

She is right that filling it up again will cause you problems again.  Have you contacted your insurance company yourself.  All I herd from my center was the same.  It took, I was trying too, a guy getting the insurance company the data from studies and appealing and got it changed for all of us to follow to be able to get the sleeve.  As I kept telling them, someone has to fight to be the first.

Good Luck with your revision.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

klippklan
on 12/30/13 5:23 pm

Had a question, i too had the lap band done 3 1/2 years ago and with repeated problems of the band tightening, vomiting, acid reflux, night vomiting, etc. I was filled and unfilled check and finally told the band slipped and they couldn't refill it again. 

I have gained 40 pounds since then in 6 months and feel awful.  I want to have her refill again just to lose 20 pounds.  I would love to do the sleeve but my insurance does not cover bariatic surgery.  I had insurance that did when I originally had it done. 

Frustrated looking at other options.  just want my comfortable body back again!

pineview01
on 1/1/14 12:27 pm - Davison, MI

If it is slipped again the best thing is to get it removed before it does more damage.  Filling at this point will just cause you more medical problems.  Does you insurance cover getting it removed.  Mine went to a once in a lifetime but, they would remove the band due to the damage it was doing.

klippklan
on 1/1/14 12:33 pm

My insurance won't cover anything and to get it repaired is $9000. so I a stuck with a band inside me that does nothing.  I did talk to my doctor this week and requested a meeting with the nutritionist to get a reset on how to use the band and i am going to get  refill to see if i can get any mileage out of it all.  I am too frustrated and honestly in 45 years it was the ONLY thing that worked to take weight off of me.

will keep you posted.

Most Active