HAS ANY ONE WENT FROM RYN TO LAP BAND

Charmaine C.
on 11/4/13 1:09 am - Columbus, OH

GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE

Has anyone gone from RYN to Lap Band and have any problem or been successful?

Thanks

Kate -True Brit
on 11/4/13 2:02 am - UK

It is not uncommon to have a band placed over a bypass if the bypass alone is insufficient. Look up BOB - band over bypass. Success rates vary. Heathercross on here is very successful, others aren't! Some people now have bands put in at the same time as the original bypass operation. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Charmaine C.
on 11/4/13 2:52 am - Columbus, OH

Thank you Kate. I will go over there and post my message so i ask more questions. Have a great day.

Zee Starrlite
on 11/4/13 3:59 am

You would probably be a million times better off long term if you got your RNY (Roux-en-Y) revised to a full duodenal switch.  This is by no means an easy task.  You would need an extreme RNY to DS revision expert (my doc is one in NYC). 

The most successful RNY to LapBand that I knew of and admired  had to have emergency surgery because of the band (she raved about the band for years and her story seems like the most horrific story I have read about the band so far).  You can find her on the other board.  She went by the name LisaBreeze (Something like that).  She now has converted to a full DS.

Good luck!

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Charmaine C.
on 11/4/13 4:04 am - Columbus, OH

Thank you Zee

I will look into that and talk to my doctor on my visit in December.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/13 5:17 am

Everyone that I know with a band over their bypass has had to have it removed a few short years later.  Some with massive and severe consequences.  It doesn't last forever but it does cause forever damage possibly preventing you from getting an actual fix to the problem.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/13 8:46 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

I've know several who have good luck with Band over Bypass.  It's becoming routine enough that OH might want to consider a separate surgery forum for it.

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/13 12:54 am

Airhead also had massive problems with erosion and a host of other issues.

A bob really is a short term fix to a lifelong problem.  I honestly haven't seen anyone keep their band over their bypass for long.

Most Active