Too much information...

gouldsfiya
on 3/13/14 1:56 pm

Who can advise on serious constipation.  I am 6 1/2 years out from my lapband.  I went for my first colonoscopy today and the doctor said I was seriously constipated.  I followed the cleansing to a t.  I even did extra because I knew I didn't have normal habits.  I went without meat for 4 days prior to the colonoscopy.  I had only clear liquids, one protein shake, and 1/2 cup cottage cheese for the two days prior to the cleansing day.  Then, I did the 4 pills and 16 Miralax doses the night before.  What do you recommend?

Kate -True Brit
on 3/13/14 5:55 pm - UK

Constipation has been an issue for me ever since I got my band. More so during the losing phases when I ate less. 

Basically, I never let it get too bad. I monitor it, not exactly but by keeping a mental note of BMs.

my tips.

drink as much water as I can.

at "bad" times, drink prune juice every night and morning.

when necessary (twice a day while losing) take a stool softener.

while losing, I also took added fibre morning and night.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Stephanie M.
on 3/14/14 12:51 am

What's your diet like?  Cheese is constipating, so needs to be offset by something laxative, like prunes.  I had terrible constipation with my band, going up to 12 days w/o bm.  I was on a medication for it.  

Some of the things I tried were:

cut up prunes add to oatmeal

probiotics

benefiber in my water

dulcolax once per week

do you have any other problems related to your band??

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

gouldsfiya
on 3/14/14 4:00 am

Thanks for your response.  I haven't really had any problems.  I occasionally throw-up or foam as I call it.  I lost 107 pounds and have kept it off for 6 1/2 years.  I go to support group at least 3 times monthly.  I attend our lifewise group monthly which is for patients at least one year out.  I also facilitate group when the therapist has to be out.  It's a wonderful group and I'm so sad for patients who don't have something similar.  Hope life is well and thank you. Gayla

Stephanie M.
on 3/14/14 4:51 am

The reason I asked about your diet was to see if there was something that could cause constipation.  Any change in bowel habits is a good reason to consult with a GI doctor.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Mell
on 3/14/14 1:03 am

I do a colon cleanse about every 6 months but I eat so much veggies that I dont usually have a problem. When I went of r a colonoscopy years ago I did the laxative thing for 4 days before.  Good luck

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Hislady
on 3/14/14 4:44 am - Vancouver, WA

I am on alot of pain medication but no longer have my band but even when I did have it I took 3 Colace stool softeners a day. That seemed to keep things moving just fine.

Bette B.
on 3/14/14 4:57 am

As long as you have had your docs say there is no major problems, regular fiber (even chia or flax seeds mixed in yogurt helps me) or Miralax every other day should help. I've been using Miralax as needed for quite some time and have no major problems with it  . . . except for gas.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

crystal M.
on 3/15/14 1:10 am - Joliet, IL

I tend to be more regular when I eat more fruits.  So I make breakfast my fruits and nuts meal.  I eat lots of berries.  I also will drink a green tea that says it helps with digestion...I bought it at a Fruitful Yield (a health food store).  Also lots of exercise seems to keep my bowels moving.  These things together usually help.

I keep the OTC drugs as a last resort.  I don't want to become dependent on them or my system gets used to them.  

Most Active