5 yrs out-problems but worth it

Easternshoregrl
on 3/12/14 5:50 am - MD
I had my lap band placed 5 years ago. Yes I have had problems, fills, unfills, gall bladder removed, acid reflux, rib pains, getting stuck, abdominal burning, food intolerance.
That being said, I'd rather put up with all of it and suck it up rather than being 300+ lbs again.
SO, I will address each issue as it comes, Being morbidly obese will kill me faster than these lap band issues so I will deal with it.
I don't have diabetes, heart issues, sleep apnea, back and leg pains like I did when I was over 300lbs.
THOSE things do damage to all areas of your body.
I will take my band issues, discuss them here and be grateful that I"ve lost the weight I have and the joy I feel seeing the scale at

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

Hislady
on 3/12/14 9:51 am - Vancouver, WA

Well with the last 5 things you listed I couldn't handle anymore and they were slowly killing me because I couldn't eat so I guess it depends on how much you want to tolerate. I'm more than happy to be rid of my band even if insurance doesn't pay for it.

Nic M
on 3/12/14 12:18 pm

I was much healthier before banding. No comparison. The band wrecked my guts. I'd rather be fat, fat, fat than ever go through that again. But, that's the good thing about individual choice... we can all decide what's acceptable and what's not. I had no quality of life while banded. Every day was a struggle just to get through it, there was so much pain.  I put up with it for way too long... because I thought there was nothing worse than being fat. I couldn't have been more wrong. 

With the complications you've listed, I'd be very concerned, quite honestly. You might be able to live with them now, but what happens a year from now when they worsen to the point they're unbearable?  Emergency surgeries are no fun. 

It doesn't have to be an either/or thing... there are other choices rather than living in pain and misery with a band or being morbidly obese. Have you been checked to see what is happening with your band?  Is there something I'm missing here?

Kate -True Brit
on 3/12/14 6:29 pm, edited 3/12/14 6:29 pm - UK

Nic and Hislady, for obvious reasons, don't like bands! I like mine! But I am as concerned as they are about the problems you report. 

I am not sure where you are with getting things checked out but if all those things you report are on-going, something is not as it should be. 

Being MO is, as the very words tell us, dangerous. But a band which is too tight, slipped, eroding into the tissues, damaging the oesophagus is pretty dangerous as well.  

And this is from someone who is very happily banded.  Don't accept thses things as a fair price to pay! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Easternshoregrl
on 3/12/14 9:54 pm - MD
I see my doctors as issues arise. They did not all hit me at once. They were things that came and went over the past 5 years. I am seeing my Sx today to have my "tight" issue addressed.
I don't want to die from a heart attack, take insulin 5x a day and be on a Cpap and 300lbs.
I'm not in pain all the time, its depends on what I eat and my issue right now will probably be solved with an unfill of 1ml or so.
I come to the forums to share my issues, and help others but it seems like everyone who has an issue and posts here gets attacked by people who have had horrible experiences instead of happy banders trying to encourage and support.
I look at both sides....300+ lbs, heart meds, insulin cpap and peopel judging you because you are so huge, can't buy clothes, nothing looks good and paying $$$ to a therapist because you are so emotionally distraught over what you look like and the fact that you can't get a b/f because men won't give you the time of day, and everyone things you sit around watching tv and eating bon bons. Sorry, I will take the band and all the issues I've had with it.
Everyone is different and the band isn't for everyone, but I still don't regret doing it regardless of the issues I have been through.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/12/14 10:00 pm - UK
On March 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM Pacific Time, Easternshoregrl wrote:
I see my doctors as issues arise. They did not all hit me at once. They were things that came and went over the past 5 years. I am seeing my Sx today to have my "tight" issue addressed.
I don't want to die from a heart attack, take insulin 5x a day and be on a Cpap and 300lbs.
I'm not in pain all the time, its depends on what I eat and my issue right now will probably be solved with an unfill of 1ml or so.
I come to the forums to share my issues, and help others but it seems like everyone who has an issue and posts here gets attacked by people who have had horrible experiences instead of happy banders trying to encourage and support.
I look at both sides....300+ lbs, heart meds, insulin cpap and peopel judging you because you are so huge, can't buy clothes, nothing looks good and paying $$$ to a therapist because you are so emotionally distraught over what you look like and the fact that you can't get a b/f because men won't give you the time of day, and everyone things you sit around watching tv and eating bon bons. Sorry, I will take the band and all the issues I've had with it.
Everyone is different and the band isn't for everyone, but I still don't regret doing it regardless of the issues I have been through.

Fair enough! I thought you meant all at the same time! And all of the time! That's how your original post came across to me. So I was not trying to be negative - just misunderstood your thread. So saying you needed help was actually being supportive! I am not a band -basher! 

I love my band and it has changed my life immeasurably for the better. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 3/13/14 12:03 am

I can't see where anyone "attacked" you for anything, anywhere. You started another thread and people gave you their opinions and tried to advise you. 

drdteach
on 3/14/14 1:27 am

I LOVE MY BAND!   I wouldn't give it up for the world.  I am currently dealing with horrible acid reflux issues but will see my surgeon and get them resolved.   Just like people have issues with their sleeve or bypass we sometimes have issues with our bands.  It is what it is.  I have lost 100 lbs with my band.  I run, swim, and more than keep up with my kids.  To me that makes the few issues now and then well worth it!

Easternshoregrl
on 3/14/14 1:50 am - MD
Bravo and thanks for the refreshing post. I am with you.

annie0039
on 3/13/14 12:35 am

That is the beauty of the INTERNET and forums such as this.CHOICE. you and others choose to remain banded regardless of the complications. Others choose not to.GOOD LUCK.

Most Active