The end of the Band??

ladiieBee
on 3/18/14 2:48 am - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

Hey everyone,

I attended an informational seminar yesterday. I had already went to one with another hospital but due to new job and insurance, I was told they weren't listed as a "center of excellence" (coe). So I'm with a new dr and hospital and hence had to attend their seminar.

But any way during the seminar the surgeon says that lap bands aren't being as widely recommended as they once were!! He went over all of the surgeries, their complication rates, mortality rates and success rates. The band was the last to be covered, I know it is less invasive than other surgeries, so wouldn't that make it the better option of all the weightless surg options? I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. He made it very clear the band was a less than favorable option and even went as far as to say they make sure people know the "risks" involved so that they can choose a better option. I felt like he was saying that if people want the band they will try and steer them in another direction. Can they do that?  Is this really the end of the band? The numbers he presented seemed a little bloated as far as complications go, I was under the impression that the band was the best option for people who don't want their intestines re-routed, and have to take vitamins for the rest of their lives or have most of their stomach removed and be stuck taking Tylenol because NSAIDS can cause ulcers. I am in no way bashing other surgeries and I am still in the undecided phase as far as what I want done. After that seminar I kinda feel like my mind was made up for me....I don't think I will choose the band...

PLEASE OH FAMILY FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!!!

~LadiieBee~ 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/18/14 3:36 am, edited 3/18/14 3:37 am - UK

This post will have lots of typos as it is on my phone and auto correct goes crazy!

Over the last few years it has become increasingly obvious that there are many more complications with the band than initially thought. Some of these are minor and some are serious requiring surgery/ removal. People can minimise the risks but cannot simply prevent them as some people follow all the "rules" and still have problems. 

However , you need to be aware of problems with all surgeries. Look on the revisions board here and people are trying to change from bypass or from the sleeve. Here we have a failed bands board, another well known board has a vsg complications board. 

Personally, my band has worked and still works for me. And for many others I know in real life. But on this board there are many people who have had problems. Although two of the worst cases I know are actually as a result if bypass and vsg! But the number of band issues appears to be higher. 

You have to be guided by your doctor. Interestingly there have been a couple if recent posts on here on which medical teams are trying to persuade people to get bands! But you chose YOUR doctor presumably because you trust him. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ladiieBee
on 3/18/14 3:37 am - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

Hey everyone, I attended an informational seminar yesterday. I had already went to one with another hospital but due to new job and insurance, I was told they weren't listed as a "center of excellence" (coe). So I'm with a new dr and hospital and hence had to attend their seminar. But any way during the seminar the surgeon says that lap bands aren't being as widely recommended as they once were!! He went over all of the surgeries, their complication rates, mortality rates and success rates. The band was the last to be covered, I know it is less invasive than other surgeries, so wouldn't that make it the better option of all the weightless surg options? I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. He made it very clear the band was a less than favorable option and even went as far as to say they make sure people know the "risks" involved so that they can choose a better option. I felt like he was saying that if people want the band they will try and steer them in another direction. Can they do that? Is this really the end of the band? The numbers he presented seemed a little bloated as far as complications go, I was under the impression that the band was the best option for people who don't want their intestines re-routed, and have to take vitamins for the rest of their lives or have most of their stomach removed and be stuck taking Tylenol because NSAIDS can cause ulcers. I am in no way bashing other surgeries and I am still in the undecided phase as far as what I want done. After that seminar I kinda feel like my mind was made up for me....I don't think I will choose the band... PLEASE OH FAMILY FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!!! As requested a different font color!! Sorry purple is my fave color.

~LadiieBee~ 

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/14 4:10 am

Hi, I understand how you feel, I'm going through the same thing,the Band or the sleeve. I been going to other sites to get more information on both surgeries, so for the Band is at the bottom. I'm 25% Band 75% Sleeve. I know what ever I decide it won't be easy, it's up to me to lose the weight, WLS is helping me along the way. How soon do you have to decide which one you want I have until April  I will continue my research July I hope to have my surgery. Happy Weight loss!!!!!!!

Hislady
on 3/18/14 4:18 am - Vancouver, WA

I also answered you on the sleeve forum and Kate is right there are some succes stories like her and Bette. They have both lost large amounts of weight and kept them off but I know they will both tell you that it takes a huge amount of work and determination to do so. They have also both been fortunate not to have any serious band issues either.

Now my story is different after the first couple of years my band tightened and kept tightening (build up of scar tissue) so eventually I got it unfilled all together. That worked for another couple of years then I started having trouble swallowing and got a horrible pain up under my rib cage, both continued to worsen until last month when I finally had to get the band removed which resolved both issues PLUS part of my breathing problems. I do have COPD but breathing has actually improved since removal! I had no idea it was affecting that too! For some of us it sets up an inflamation that just continues to aggravate everything in our body. I just read a forum lately that they are seeing problems with heart palpitations also from the band. I ended up with an actual heart issue when I went to the hospital, I went in with rapid heart rate (ended up being a-fib) and decided the band had to go at the same time I was there for the heart issue. It is just a crap shoot as to who will do well and who won't.

KGG
on 3/20/14 8:43 pm
On March 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

I also answered you on the sleeve forum and Kate is right there are some succes stories like her and Bette. They have both lost large amounts of weight and kept them off but I know they will both tell you that it takes a huge amount of work and determination to do so. They have also both been fortunate not to have any serious band issues either.

Now my story is different after the first couple of years my band tightened and kept tightening (build up of scar tissue) so eventually I got it unfilled all together. That worked for another couple of years then I started having trouble swallowing and got a horrible pain up under my rib cage, both continued to worsen until last month when I finally had to get the band removed which resolved both issues PLUS part of my breathing problems. I do have COPD but breathing has actually improved since removal! I had no idea it was affecting that too! For some of us it sets up an inflamation that just continues to aggravate everything in our body. I just read a forum lately that they are seeing problems with heart palpitations also from the band. I ended up with an actual heart issue when I went to the hospital, I went in with rapid heart rate (ended up being a-fib) and decided the band had to go at the same time I was there for the heart issue. It is just a crap shoot as to who will do well and who won't.

Glad to know that it's not all in my mind. I can't even sniff if I have a runny nose right now and my breathing is so shallow that I can't sleep throughout the night. Chest pains etc. Sometimes it takes to hear it from someone who's had the band for a longer period of time to compare to your own situation. I wish every bandster could be like Kate and have a pleasant experience with it. 

Stephanie M.
on 3/21/14 12:34 am

Have you discussed your discomfort with your surgeon?

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

KGG
on 3/21/14 2:23 pm
On March 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM Pacific Time, Stephanie M. wrote:

Have you discussed your discomfort with your surgeon?

I can only get in touch with his nurse. My appointment with him is 5 days from now. I just keep leaving voicemails with his nurse so she'll pass the info along

NanaB .
on 3/18/14 9:40 am, edited 3/18/14 9:44 am

If you really want a lap band you need to find a band friendly surgeon, many are still getting the band, however they are not posting on this site because it is anti band and Pro Sleeve and RNY, there are other lap band sites out there you need to google.  Surgeons that do mostly RNY and Sleeves probably will talk you out of a lap band.

Some surgeons moved away from the lap band about 5 years ago simply because it took up TOO MUCH of their time with fills and it became a "hassle" for aftercare. It's NOT because the band does not work and the band IS safest weight loss surgery short term and LONG TERM.

However, please be advised that the lap band requires you to see your surgeon about ever 6 weeks the first year, EXERCISE and following a lap band diet of high proteins first just like the Bypass and Sleeve. However, the lap band does not make you sick like the Bypass and Sleeve if you eat sweets and too many carbs, therefore you MUST have more discipline to not eat junk, etc.

The thing is TOO MANY people heavily rely on the band to do all the work and keep their bands too tight which causes frequent vomiting, etc, and this can damage your stomach and esophagus or cause band slippage, which can cause removal.....AND THIS IS THE BIGGEST problem and this is why surgeons don't want to deal with the band because they have to constantly remove bands where patients keep them too tight, never follow up etc.

If you want the band you must find a Lap band surgeon and NOT a RNY or Sleeve surgeon. I know many people that had RNY over 9 years ago when I got my band and they are WAY bigger than I am now, and not only are they obese, they have a host of medical issues, have to still take a lot of vitamins for LIFE, and they have hypoglycemia which can be debilitating and deadly, and BOTH Sleeve and Bypass people get this it IS VERY COMMON Long term, where they get sick and have to constantly eat to keep from fainting.

Surgeons don't have to deal with RNY and Sleeve patients long term for "issues" of dependencies or other ailments, they can be dumped off to their PCP, but the lap band is more of a headache to surgeons because if a patient have a lap band issues, ONLY their Bariatric surgeon can fix the problem because it is a specialty.

I am going on 9 years post op and there is NO WAY I will allow a surgeon to do any other procedure because I've seen what they can do long term, my sister had the stomach stapling over 30 years ago and she had some of stomach removed also and I've seen the issues that she's had an no thank you I do not want my stomach removed or insides rearranged because everyone that I know have either gained all their weight back because their stomach has stretched or they are dealing with a lot of long term issues.

There are MANY long term lap banders out there with no issues, they don't post here because this is an ANTI- band site, people come here when they are in trouble and want to bash the band and those with others surgeries "cheer them on" as if RNY and the Sleeve is complication and regain weight free..LOL...

The ONLY issue that I have with my band is getting food stuck (which is my fault) and that can be relieved by getting up walking around, I still walk and exercise about 3-5 times per week, and I still wear a size 10/12 at 9 years out and my life is totally normal (knock on wood) and I have NO issues. I got my band replaced about 18 months ago due to a hiatal hernia to the newer band and I would not change it for nothing.

I Keep it real with all the surgeries....P.S....there are a whole lot of RNY's and Sleevers looking for band that are 3-10 years out because they no longer have restriction, this is why I would never get those surgeries.

Good Luck! 

annie0039
on 3/18/14 10:32 am

MY first bit of Advise is to DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

No mater what WLS your interested in  you can Find Personal experience anywhere Online. What matters in the end is What YOUR willing to deal!!

Why do you want a specific surgery? How much weight do you want to lose, do you want to have to visit the Dr. every month, Do you have other Medical issues that you hope will resolve with that surgery, and a GREAT Surgeon to perform it.

WLS= DS= Duodenal Switch (Platinum standard) Sleeve with Mal Absorption component with intestinal re routing

RNY=Gastric bypass  (Gold standard) smaller stomach created MA and intestinal bypass

VSG= Vertical Sleeve gastrectomy smaller stomach a restrictive only surgery, BETTER to have done as a "Virgin" surgery opposed to it being a Revision

LB= Lap Band restrictive only

All of the above are explained in a simplified version :)

Check all the complications, LONG TERM weight loss of all

Contrary to what is mentioned Lap Bands ARE NOT SAFEST!! and it's NOT least invasive. YES it's Removal but NOT Reversible. The complications of the band are Real and not a low percentage of 5% which was once  reported that rate is higher, closer to 50%.

Everyone you talk to has a story about SOMEONE having that "other" surgery. the important thing to remember is were are all different ALL WLS' are different :(

Again , DECIDE what YOU CAN LIVE WITH :)

Yes, you can go anywhere on the INTERNET and get information from "other" forums and I've been on those forums they have ppl banded from 1-5 yrs what I like to call the HONEYMOON PHASE ;) , those of us that remain here have been here for years  Call us ANTI-BAND but if there are/were SO MANY Happy PPL with a band WHERE ARE THEY?

we keep asking them to come to post but all we seem to find are the same half a dozen.

Remember with a band they started Years ago in other countries ( Australia, UK, etc..) So for the US Doctors to say they are not doing them any longer is because they now FINALLY have PROOF that they don't work long term.

Consider the "what ifs " like If you lose insurance coverage after the Surgery Which one will take more $$ . which has more complications, Which one 'might' you NOT be able to revise from if needed, which one will need more aftercare, Answer THE BAND.

I'll be the first one to agree in NOT allowing the Surgeon to Chose your Surgery, but instead CHOSE your surgery THEN Chose your Surgeon.

Best Of Luck in your Decision it's not an Easy one.

Most Active