band to bypass - surgery 16jan2016

Millie146
on 12/17/14 8:06 pm - Canada

Hi! I used to have a band and had it removed last June. Has anyone ever heard that having had the band in the past will not let me loose as much weight with bypass surgery as a non banded person would loose??? 

Millie

annie0039
on 12/17/14 9:49 pm

Millie146 with ANY revision from one surgery to another they often warn that Weight loss will be slower. But  I've seen Others do amazingly well with band to bypass. GOOD LUCK!  with your's

Millie146
on 12/18/14 2:12 am - Canada

Oh that's is great news....! Thank you.  I can't wait for the surgery :)

Hislady
on 12/18/14 8:38 am - Vancouver, WA

Yes indeed I agree withn Annie you may lose a tiny bit slower but as long as you stick with your eating plan and keep your carbs on the low side you should do great, Plus you will have the malabsorption from the bypass and that will help but do remember that the malabsorptive aspect will only be at its best for 12-18 mos and after that it will start fading as the body starts absorbing calories again so work your very hardest to take advantage of this honey moon period. I know many people who have had this same surgery and done very well and reached their goal weights. As with all weight loss plans you will still have to work very hard and keep at it for the rest of your life but this will give you the extra boost we all need. Wishing you great success!

Millie146
on 12/19/14 12:08 pm - Canada

Hi Hislady!

I didn't have to work very hard with the band... I need to start getting it that i have a part to play in this and that it's not a magical surgery. Tks for the wisdom and the good wishes! 

Galleymaid
on 12/18/14 8:10 pm

Hi, your not alone, I got my band in 2006 and am now going to have a bypass. My doctor will remove the band at the sometime. He hasn't said anything about it being slower to lose after the band. I hope it will be the same as non banded.

Millie146
on 12/19/14 12:11 pm - Canada

I had my band in 2007. Do you have a surgery date yet? I'm starting to understand that the results will be proportional to what we put into the plan. 

Galleymaid
on 12/19/14 2:00 pm

I have only been in the program for 6 weeks so I'm looking at May for surgery. I met the surgeon and the dietician and have been to two seminars. I can't wait to get my life back. I'm at a 51 BMI, but I have lost 15lbs so far towards my 15%

Millie146
on 12/19/14 2:11 pm - Canada

wow... only six week and you already have a time frame... that's really good!!!... I have started the process last January! Getting my band removed and healing from the band really delayed things. Congrats on the 15lbs.That's an awesome start to getting your life back. My BMI is 50.4 and my body feels like it's locked up in a prison of pain.  I start the shakes on December 26th! can't wait to break free once again.  

Galleymaid
on 12/19/14 2:34 pm

Pain? Why? Is it real bad? Are you having a hard time? I'm sorry to hear that. I don't need any more pain then I already have. But I have to push on.

Most Active