Long lost Bandster!!

Tantrica
on 3/22/15 2:07 am - An Army Base, XX

Hi all, 

I got a message from OH yesterday in my email box, wishing me a happy Surgiversary and I thought I'd pop in an say hello to all of you that are still here!!  I see a few familiar names and faces still on the boards and many Newbies as well!!  7 years ago, this board was my lifeline.  I credit the support and amazing women here with much of my success, helping me stay on track and motivated when I just wanted a doughnut!!  So here's a year 7 update for all of you!

3 years ago my hubby was medically retired from the Army due to injuries he sustained in Iraq.  We really thought the Army was our forever career and were quite surprised to be headed out the door to civilian life after 13 years.....especially with no plan what-so-ever for a life after the Army!!  The one thing we were both sure of, was that processed foods from the store were slowly killing us and our children soooooo we left Alaska and..... We bought an 84 acre, organic farm, goats, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, horses, and dug up a garden plot....5,000sq ft of garden plot in fact!!  As of this year our farm is completely sustainable other than a small amount of grain used to supplement our grass fed flocks and herds.  We produce all out own food including dairy and are completely free of the grocery store other than paper products and the occasional fruit or veggie that we can't grow here in Kentucky.  It was a steep learning curve for a couple city kids with nothing but big dreams, but we've grown and learned and couldn't be happier with our choice.  Our small original purchases of of livestock has grown and we now have 24 goats, 12 sheep, 2 pregnant piggies and a male, 5 cows, 100+ chickens, and 3 horses.  (Not to mention the house pets, haha)  Our freezers and bellies are full and we know exactly what went into every bite that goes into us!!

On the WLS side of life, for those of you that don't know me from before, I started out at 260 lbs. and I was just shy of 5'5. I chose LapBand Surgery, because my insurance only offered it or RNY.   I was lucky enough to gain an inch of height in my journey, I'm almost 5'6 now, BONUS!!  haha.  I was blessed to lose my weight quickly.  18 months post-op I reached 100% of my excess weight gone, in fact I just kept on going!! By the time I was 3 years post-op I was at the low end of my healthy weight range and bordering on being underweight for my height so I went to work to gain some muscle and strength.  I got a degree in Personal Training and Nutrition and got my rear in shape.  About a year after that I fell ill.  Once every 6 weeks or so for 3 YEARS(!!!!!)  I'd have horrible stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, cramps, low grade fever, etc; for 5-10 days!  By the end hubby would have to scoop me up and carry me to the ER for fluid and medication.  I honestly thought I was dying.  I saw several different doctors, had a myriad of tests, scans, and the works with no results.  General consensus was that "This just happens to WLS patients" and I should get used to it or have my Band removed.  I LOVE my band (I haven't always, we hated each other for many years, lol), there was NO WAY it was going anywhere, so I suffered.  Finally I found a doctor that would listen to me; she spent hours with me going over diet, supplements, scans, x-rays, labs and my experiences, at my first apt with her.  One week later she removed my gallbladder and VIOLA, I've been healthy as a horse since, even gained 15 pounds (Don't worry, It was MUCH needed, I was so thin I FELT frail, yuck) So current stats at 7 years post op are 5'6 ALMOST, and 125-130 pounds depending on the day.  I'm about a size 2 and I feel like a million bucks :)  I think I got lucky, perhaps, or maybe our mega lifestyle change made a huge difference, but I rarely have to think about meals these days or watch over how much I eat.  My band still handles portion control and I still make good choices....most of the time.  I'm human, I like cake occasionally, as much as the next guy ;)  I had 8CC's in a 10CC band at my last adjustment over 4 years ago.  I've never felt the need for another since.  I've had no band related issues, other than a dislodged port many, many years ago, replaced with a low profile port.  No slips, no erosion, no nothing, just a good happy healthy band.  

Hope all is well with the rest of you!!  Life is VERY busy these days and I get little free time for the computer, but I think of many of you often!!

Kari

Kate -True Brit
on 3/22/15 6:34 am - UK

I remember you,! Your life sounds good! And Zinam glad your band is still fine.

I am happily banded at almost nine years and know many people who are equally happy! Unfortunately you may get answers from others you remember telling a different tale - a number have had serious problems. Quite a lot of vets pop in from time to time but very few still post regularly on here. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 3/22/15 11:23 am - Vancouver, WA

I really am glad yours has worked out well for you mine didn't but hey if it works for you that's all that matters! Sounds like you have a little piece of heaven there in Kentucky, I'm jealous home grown everything!! Sounds delicious and I'm sure that has helped alot, I know I rarely go to the store anymore, mostly because I can't but it helps keep you on track when you don't even have to deal with those temptations. Homegrown just tastes entirely different, I remember how foods tasted as a kid and how they taste now an it's just plain yuck! Enjoy your lovely new life but do be aware that the band can cause horrible damage to so anytime you are in doubt, check it out!!  Best of luck to you!

Tantrica
on 3/22/15 12:28 pm - An Army Base, XX

I'm sorry to hear you and your band didn't work out.  I have several friends that have had issues as well, a few revisions and removals.  I wasn't at all impressed with my surgeons program, there just wasn't one, but his technique was good and I had my band plicated, even way back then.  So far, every scan has shown it happy and healthy, it hasn't moved since placement.  I did have a very slight dilatation of the esophagus at one point, but it was self induced, KNOWING darn well I was too tight and trying to  wait just one more day for that unfill.  I had 1/2 CC removed and re-scanned with good results. I do keep my eye on the ol' girl and will continue to, but I thank you much for the reminder.  

Tantrica
on 3/22/15 12:15 pm - An Army Base, XX

I'm glad to see that all is well Kate!  I remember you as well.  I'm so sorry to see that some of our other old-timers aren't doing well or have had complications.     I had a ton of trouble with my band in the early years, not because of the band, but because of my fight with it and myself.  Took a good 5 or so years to really get a hold on all the issues that drove me to obesity to begin with....and we're still at the tip of the iceberg.  Darn good thing I guess, I expect the day we figure it alllll out, would be our last ;)

Kari

Dejah H.
on 3/23/15 6:17 am - Central, TX

Hi Kari,

I do remember seeing you on the boards! We had surgery 1 day apart. :)  Glad to hear you are doing so well. Congratulations on all of your successes!

I am doing great 7 years out as well. 

Dejah

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/15 4:21 am

I'm so glad to hear of your success and that it's lasted long term! I was here 5 years ago and remember you. I was successful with my band for a couple of years before the issues started and I finally revised to a sleeve just last week. 

Best of lucky for many more years of great banding! 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

cheyenne000
on 3/27/15 2:42 am
VSG on 03/25/16

Welcome Back! Thanks for sharing you story.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Zee Starrlite
on 3/27/15 9:33 am

Awesome awesome story! so glad things have worked out so well for you with a band.  I wish you ever lasting success.

Best,

Kayla

🙌

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

coderedn504
on 4/26/15 4:19 pm - Luling, LA

Hi!!!!!! I'm still here unfortunately; my band gave me a lot of problems from day one. I finally revised to the sleeve on 1/30. It was great hearing from you & I wish you continued success.

coderedn504
Most Active