No luck with LapBand please read

Lf1227
on 9/5/16 11:30 am
Lap Band on 12/03/13

Hi! This is going to be long but I need help, and I would like to give all the details.

in Dec of 2013 I got my Lap Band surgery yay! I was down 20lbs @260lbs from 280lbs from pre surgery diet. After my surgery I did not experience rapid weight loss even though I was following routine. Long story short I actually lost my job after my surgery so this whole time ( 3 years since) I've only been able to afford 2 fills ($265 OOP each) and my highest fill was maybe 6 or 7 cc. 

So like the failure I am, I became extremely discouraged why did I pay all this money when I cannot even afford fills? So I stopped caring because it was easier for me to give up and drink soda and binge eat.

fast forward to a year ago when I decided to just eat better and work out... I was back at 270lbs and to this day I am down about 30lbs at 240 but I am at a plateau  It's not a lot BUT I am getting my first fill on Wednesday this week and I really want to try to do this over and the right way.. I think I am more mature this time around.

my question now is I am conditioned to eat 6 small meals a day is this good when using the lap band? What foods do I avoid and what foods do I eat a lot of? Shopping lists? I am used to meal prepping does anyone else do this? I am in dyer need of new meals and a list of no no foods like soda and bread. And if you have specific work outs that would be Amazing as well.

To anyone who has read this far, thank you. I am pretty alone in this and I don't know anyone who has had wls in real life and I am really tired of failing myself and disappointing my family. Any help and advise is appreciated. Thank you!

Hislady
on 9/7/16 8:55 pm - Vancouver, WA

First and foremost you are not a failure! The majority of people here have either revised to a different surgery or just had the band removed and re-doing it without weight loss surgery help. If you want to go ahead and try with the band I would suggest small fills so you have less chance of being too tight. That causes serious problems.

Six small meals is perfect for the band or any diet but really it isn't a diet it is a life style change, you will have to eat this way the rest of your life so make sure it is something you can do forever. Myself and many, many others have had great success with Atkins type eating plans, just remember to count total carbs not net carbs. Lots of protein and very few carbs. I have to stay under 25 carbs a day but others can go as high as 100, everyone is different. There are tons of groups on FB for high protein eating plans. The main thing is to watch the carbs and stick to the healthy ones like veggies.

Cut most white carbs like flour, sugar, pasta, breads, cold cereals. Stick to mainly protein like meats and some dried beans once in awhile since they are pretty carby. Fill up with low carb veggies. If you just spend a day on the internet you will find hundreds of low carb recipes. Planning meals ahead is awesome, that is something successful people do and keep a close watch by logging every bite (this is vital to long term success). You can use an app like myfitnesspal and it keeps track of everything for you. It makes a HUGE difference. Also with carb counting use total cabs NOT net carbs because they all count, some maybe digested slower but they all count to the body.

Now I can't help with workouts because I've not been able to do any exercise due to health issues. However again turn to the internet for videos and workouts there are plenty and you can switch it up every week if you want! We live in an amazing time when everything we could possibly want is at our fingertips. I really like, I believe her name is Dana Carpenter Low Carb recipes lots of tasty snack type foods. Remember you don't have to eat certain foods at certain times of the day. You can easily eat last night's left over pork roast for breakfast if you want or have bacon and eggs for dinner. It's all up to you! Best of luck and if your band should end up not working out you will still have a good eating plan to help you out if you have to revise.

Maronita
on 9/18/16 5:58 pm

I am sorry to hear of your struggles with the LAP Band surgery and with your life in general.

I was wondering about your insurance, Could you get Medicaid through your state or get

Medicare through Social Security?  If you haven't tried applying for these, I would recommend

calling them.  Social Security can be reached M-F 7 AM - 8 PM EST.  They would also be able

to give you the phone # to your states Medicaid Office.  Depending on age, your state MAY

disregard your assets you have, if any.  In my experience both programs cover weight loss

surgery and fills.

Eating 6 small meals is fine!  I, too, had the LAP Band surgery!  I was told NOT to eat pasta,

untoasted bread (although my stomach can NOT handle bread at all), potato's (mainly because

there is NOT much nutritional value) and they want you to get the most nutrition that you can.

I was also advised NOT to eat rice.  The reason no pasta, no rice, and no untoasted bread is 

because flour rises and therefore can expand your stomach and the whole point is to make

your stomach smaller.  IF you eat peanut butter make sure it is REDUCED fat, although, I have

found FOR ME that I have an addiction to peanut butter.  I also recommend NOT to eat a lot of

cheese and again IF you eat it would recommend the REDUCED fat.

Maronita

crystal M.
on 9/22/16 11:14 am - Joliet, IL

No you are not a failure.  This is a hard surgery to lose weight.  The band helps me but I do most of the work. 

I can't tell you how to eat.  I am sure your surgeon had a diet plan for you.  When you go in for your fill ask him for the info again.  Just say it's been 3 years and you have been off the wagon and want to try again.  No doctor in his right mind would object. 

Now I can tell you what I did.  I got my 7+ years.  I have lost about 190 lbs and maintained.  I have always eaten 3 meals a day.  To me (and this is just me).  The band works for volume if you eat small meals you won't feel satisfied.  You need to get rid of the junk food, the sweets, the fast food, the carbs (this includes white bread, pasta) and soda.  Now I was told no liquid calories, because they just flow through your band.  So no coffee with cream or sugar, no soda, no juice, no smoothies.  I also avoid artificial sweeteners so no diet soda.  I do all my cooking.  I do not use box or canned convenience items.  They are loaded with chemicals, artificial flavors and colorings and preservatives...that have been known to cause weight gain.  So I am done listing what I don't eat. 

What I eat is lots of protein...chicken, turkey, salmon, halibut, beef.  I eat lots of salads.  I make meals out of my salads.  Such as taco salad or buffalo chicken salad.  I have my husband throw a couple Italian turkey sausages on the grill and have a side salad.  I eat a lot of salad.  I have replaced the salad with my side item which always used to be mashed potatoes or corn (something full of carbs).  I even have a burger.  But I will have a turkey burger and have it without the top bun.  There are always ways to rework your old favorites.  I have meatloaf now...but it's turkey loaf.  I don't feel deprived.  I don't really miss pasta.  Once in awhile we will go out for Italian food.  But I have pretty much cut out pasta and most bread.  My meals are protein. 

For breakfast it depends sometimes I have a banana.  Yes I know there is carbs...but I am not trying to lose weight.  You should have an egg or greek yogurt.  Those are my other choices.  

I love almonds and there are so many flavors.  So I always have them as a snack.  I'm in luck because they are a healthy fat and have protein.  But I limit myself to half a serving because they are high in calories.    

For lunch.  Now you can bring in some leftovers from your healthy dinner the night before.  I never do that.  You can do lunch meat rolled up with cheese.  I always have cottage cheese and carrots.  I like it.  I also do the individual cottage cheeses they have out there.  Unless you're going to pre-measure it's a good idea.  It's very easy to scoop out more than 1/2 cup. 

Now on to sweets.  When you are trying to lose weight you almost never eat sweets.  Well because you have to stay under 1000 or so calories and it's hard to do that and eat sweets.  Now I did have a cheat day once in awhile.  When I say cheat day I mean I would add peanut butter to my banana or have some dark chocolate.  I will tell you this... on my birthday I had cake and cookies on Christmas and a glass of wine on New Years...I still lost weight.  So I did go wayyyy off the diet I am not perfect. 

Next thing I did that was important.  I am active.  I got a gym membership and use it.  When I was actively losing weight I went 6 days a week.  now 3-4 days.  I go biking.  I garden...I go out and enjoy my life.  I didn't just sit around watching TV. If I did watch TV...during the commercials I got up and jogged in place.  Did stretches and had hand weights I would do while I watched my show.  You can work up a sweat jus****ching TV, believe me.  LOL

It took me 2 years but I went from 360lbs to 170lbs.  I now waiver around in the 170's.  If I see myself going anywhere near 180...I buckle down and eat less and do more.  It works.

Good luck.    

rebecca110
on 9/27/16 7:15 am - Milledgeville, GA

That is an excellent plan. 

Most Active