Lap band removal

Mary F.
on 2/14/18 8:21 pm - East Windsor, NJ

I just had to have my lap band removed after 11 years too. It slipped so bad it was cutting off my small intestine and my GERD was off the charts. It feels great not having GERD, but I am not sure about revision in the future. The doctor wouldn't even consider revision during the removal because my stomach was so swollen and damaged.
Mary

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/18 11:31 pm

Mary, thanks for messaging and sorry to hear about your band and I hope you're recovery goes well. I didn't realise how many problems the band had and now I'm happy that at least it is gone. Like you my surgeon wouldn't consider revision but now some time has lapsed we are in conversations as I am thinking of a bypass. I have a sliding hiatus hernia and the GERD is worse after the removal. Also my weight is rising and I am unhappy in my body. Due to the acid I can't have a sleeve and a RNY is considered the gold standard and really is life long. Otherwise I just have the hernia repaired and wait for further weight gain..

Mary F.
on 2/15/18 4:14 am - East Windsor, NJ

Yes, I agree that RNY is what I would go with for the GERD as well. Not sure if I will be heading that way someday as right now I am concentrating on my healing. Good Luck to you.

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/18 8:17 am

It's been 6 months now since removal and my weight is creeping up. My BMI is 32

id like another "tool"

mini bypass? Rny? Another band?

help? I'm so lost AGAIN

Mary F.
on 4/29/18 10:23 pm - East Windsor, NJ

My doctor wants to give me a sleeve, but my insurance keeps saying my BMI isn't high enough after my band was removed (duh of course it isn't, I got to goal weight with the band and maintained for 11 years!)
Anyway, I am battling insurance and battling weight gain.... 20 pounds in 2 months all ready. It sucks. I would not do the band again though.... I think most doctors aren't even banding people anymore.

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/18 12:09 am

Hi Mary, if you're hoping for the sleeve is your GERD under control now? Do you have any ill effects from the removal of the band? My port side is fine it's just the heartburn plus there's certain textures of food I still can't tolerate.

sorry to hear you're having to battle with your insurance company. Hopefully you get the approvals you need soon.

Mary F.
on 4/30/18 12:17 pm - East Windsor, NJ

I am not having any issues with heartburn or GERD now. I am off all meds for it. However, I would rather take a pill for GERD than deal with the shame and depression of being fat again.
I have no ill effects from the band removal and healed pretty quickly. I thought I would be sleeved by now (Dr doesn't want to do RNY due to my severe anemia.... he thinks the mal-absorption woudl be worse than any GERD I would get from the sleeve)

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/18 12:24 pm

I understand and hence I feel my secret relationship with the band was love hate.. I really liked being smaller and not feeling hungry.. not having the GERD (was under control), my health was improved PCOS was better than it had ever been but of course there were some downsides like the vomiting although not frequent, the infills were the worst as it meant the liquid diet before and after, needle in you and if they put too much in I'd get the chest tightness.. also not being able to take tablets

I have really bad GERD now and I am taking tablets not helping.. it's in my chest and back. I don't want to be fat again.. I'm already regaining..

sounds like the sleeve is a good option for you. Hope you get the procedure soon x

Mary F.
on 5/3/18 9:39 pm - East Windsor, NJ

Have you had a recent endoscopy to see why the GERD is bad? I totally get the fear and shame of the weight gain. It's a struggle every single day.

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/18 10:14 am

Hi Mary, I had my band removed 6 months ago and they did an endoscopy then but not since. It is really bad, that might be a good call actually!

Most Active