It's been a while....

hdmama
on 2/5/19 11:07 am

Hi there! So I haven't been here in a LONG time. I had lap band surgery in Oct 2009....while it wasn't always pretty, I considered it pretty successful - until it wasn't. It slipped in January 2016 (I have no idea why - it hadn't been too tight or anything and I hadn't had an adjustment in forever...all of a sudden, I just couldn't eat or drink anything). So they had to do an emergency surgery to remove it. At the time, they never talked to me about revision or offered me any other alternatives. I was at a good weight so I figured that was why. And I was hopeful that I would be able to keep the weight off. I did...for a while. But here I am...three years later, and I'm almost right back where I started when I first got the lap band. I am now wondering if I even have any other options at this point. Do insurance companies usually cover you for a second weight loss surgery??? When I had it before I had United Health Care...now I have Blue Cross, but I'm still work at the same company, so wondering if that makes a difference and whether I would even be able to do another surgery. I've been on weigh****chers for the last year and I've managed to just stop gaining, but I'm NOT losing, so it's very frustrating. I never thought I'd be back in this position again.

wpatterson520
on 2/7/19 4:02 am - Miamisburg, OH

Hi, first I would like to say that I am sorry this happened to you. I would think that you would be able to get insurance approval for a different surgery if your insurance would cover it to begin with. For a long time my insurance would not cover any weight loss surgery but now they will cover 50%. It would be worth looking into if I were you. I have been banded since July 2007 and have only had issues with my esophagus stretching. I have maintained my weight loss of 70 lbs off of my high of 298. So as you can see, I still am a curvy woman. I wish you the best with whatever decision you make

Wanda

Most Active