Checking in. I had my lap band put in almost 12 years ago. Not really using it, but it is still in

Clarenced
on 10/1/19 12:00 pm

I was banded in '06. My doctor promptly moved away and it took me years to find someone who would do follow up. At that time, surgeons wouldn't follow up with patients who did not have the surgery done by them. Don't know if that's changed much since then. Although I have struggled with a few rebounds, generally I have been able to maintain a 65 pound weight loss. I'm now seen as only "a little overweight" as someone once said. I'd love to have lost 20 or 30 lbs more, but despite trying several weight loss strategies, I've not been successful in losing more weight. My doctor advised me to stop beating myself up. I have an annual esophagram and fills. The band still helps reduce my appetite and limit the amount I can eat at any given time. This is good for me because my main problem has always been portion control. But I can eat some things I couldn't eat years ago, like some breads and pasta (although I fill up quickly when I do eat them). Still have problems with stringy foods and some raw fruits and veggies.

I'm getting old, and the band may not last, so I'm curious to hear from people who've had the band removed. I'd like to know what that entailed and what the consequences were.

BayouGirlMrs.S
on 10/31/19 12:32 pm
Revision on 08/28/19

Hello John. Congrats on the weight loss. I was banded 11/09 SW: 232, SW: 22?ish... I can't remember LW: 130, but my consistent weight for 7+ years was 143. The only unfill i had was when i had my TT to remove the extra skin in 2012. The week of March 23 2017 was the worst ever.... I (who's never sick) woke up with the flu/stomach bug. I threw up violently and slipped my band. Till that day i had zero problems. I was a "model" bandster. When it slipped the pain was OMG horrible (i have a high tolerance) and i couldn't even swallow my own spit. So 3/23/17 she was removed. I managed to keep my weight down. But it was the hardest 2.5 years ever. I eventually gained back 30lbs. No matter what i did, diet and crossfit 3-4 nights a week. Nothing stopped the weight from creeping. So i decided to revise. I searched every place and was considering going to Mexico. Everyone kept telling me "you don't weight enough". But, I gave it a last-ditch effort... i luckily called a local place here in Jackson, MS. 10 min. from my work. I went in and spoke with the Dr. and YES.... he said because i was a revision and cash pay i could get the sleeve done (wanted the MGB). So Aug. 28, 2019 i went in and got sleeved. New SW: 173.5 CW: 146.... GW: 140-143... Where i felt my best.

The reason I'm writing is.... even though you don't have any "fill" in your band, trust that it's still helping you. Living without the band made me remember what HUNGER was. I had forgotten. About two weeks without her... and OMG i was starving. So please be good to your band, even if you think it's not helping.... it is.

Chris

missdebra
on 11/6/19 5:26 pm - NV

What do you mean you stopped refilling it? Was it leaking, or was it burning saline like a car and needed to be topped off like a gas tank? (being funny there..sorry). Once your band is filled up to where you like it, it should stay there. What I like about the band is there is nothing to stretch out or nothing to "get used to" and don't feel it anymore. The band stays constant..restricting food to a slow rate that you want no matter how many years have passed. I am on my second band 2/20/2019 and am still getting it filled up to where I am losing weight but can still eat. Yes, there is some throwing up, usually the last bite that I ate too quick or that sip of water I took while I was still eating. (It is not really throw up because the food never crossed the band and made it to the stomach so there is no vomit smell or taste.) But all weight loss surgeries work from negative reinforcement. (Something bad or uncomfortable happens if you do not eat right.) The few times I throw up, my last bite are just a reminder that after all of these years, (First band in 2011) I still need to eat small bites, chew well and not take a drink when a bite feels dry or like it is just sitting above my band. To me, that is just my band doing its' work..being a governor (regulator) of my food intake. I hope to wear my band for many years because when I was waiting for surgical approval to remove and replace my leaking band (band started to leak because an office person stuck the fill needle in the tubing or port.) I did not have much saline in my band and the weight came right back like I had never learned anything at all. 60 lbs. came back in about 7 months. I have now lost 25 of those pounds and need my band filled a little more to help me lose the rest. I need my band to make it work.

White Dove
on 11/7/19 7:53 am - Warren, OH

Interesting that you also had RNY. Are these band over RNY?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sleeved524
on 2/12/20 11:18 am
RNY on 01/30/20 with

Good Job John On your weightloss!

Are you going to leave the band in or get it removed?

Neal R.
on 4/11/20 2:54 pm - Wylie, TX

I'm in a very similar situation. First time I've logged on in many years. Got my band almost 14 years ago. Went from 350 to 180. Tooj all my fill out about 6 years ago because I was having bad reflux. I slowly crept back up to 285. Last June I started keto and about 4 months ago I started incorporating intermittent fasting. Weight 207 this morning. Trying to get to 190. I don't regret getting the band, but I'm certainly not the proponent I was years ago.

http://www.nealslapband.com/
Banded May, 9, 2006 by Dr. Cribbens. Abdominoplaty on 02/11/08
TT pics: http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=4974

Facebook: Neal Riggins (Wylie, Texas)
Twitter: @NealRiggins
Lucile777
on 1/31/21 6:32 pm

Good Lord- 4 hours?!! But 3 to 8 is 5 hours!!! And what do you eat during that time?

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Lucile777
on 1/31/21 7:08 pm

Good Lord- 4 hours?!! But 3 to 8 is 5 hours!!! And what do you eat during that time?

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Kitty_mom
on 4/12/21 1:09 pm - New Maryland, Canada

I got my band in 2009. I am in the same boat as far as using my band, I can eat anything as long as I chew it enough. I tried Keto and lost about 25 pounds then nothing. My diabetes numbers were great so I stuck with it for 2 years but fell off with the start of the pandemic. I did intermittent fasting (12 hours) but not to the degree you do. I was afraid of fasting because I am a T1 diabetic. I will have a look at some of the resources you mentioned.

Most Active