Krista C.’s Posts

Krista C.
on 8/27/18 10:17 am
Topic: RE: Removal scheduled for tomorrow

After 11 years, I am having my lapband removed due to inflammation causing side pain (since last Sept) For those who have been through this, can you share your recovery time? I work at a seated job and hope to return Saturday and teach low impact classes at the gym (hope to go back next Wednesday - 8 days out) Experiences? Thanks in advance!

Krista C.
on 8/11/13 9:45 pm
Topic: RE: Why the Lap-Band

Hi pobny:

I don't know anything about the sleeve or it's success rate. I have had the band for about 6 years. I did really well in my first year but I was almost 100% compliant. Reading back through my blogs at that time, I honestly don't know how I did it. I have gained back about 50 lbs from my lowest weight but have managed to keep about 70 lbs off. Is it worth it? I think it was as it has helped me not gain everything back but as a food addict, it is not the magic bullet for me. I exercise like a demon and really thing I am not "meant" to be small.  Anyway, good for you for asking around to get opinions before you make your decision. There's no magic bullet out there - I don't believe there is anyway - these are all tools to help us along the way. I wish you well!

Krista C.
on 4/8/11 1:08 am
Topic: RE: too much to lose with lap band?
I lost exactly 100 in a year.

Krista C.
on 4/8/11 1:05 am
Topic: RE: 7 years with my band today...and counting!!!!
Congrats Karianne and Happy Bandiversary!

Krista C.
on 4/8/11 1:04 am
Topic: RE: My relationship or the surgery???
Absolutely 100% the surgery.

Krista C.
on 4/4/11 7:46 pm
Topic: RE: A must read for all!
I am glad you have gotten to this point, my friend. I still think Maria is a nut job but you? I love :)

Krista C.
on 4/4/11 7:43 pm
Topic: RE: New, stressed and confused
Hi Tracy - first of all welcome to the board. You are smart to ask yourself these questions now before your surgery - it is not too late to change your mind.

The lapband certainly isn't for everyone. I had great success with it in year one, getting to my goal by losing 100 lbs. It took a lot of exercise to do that but I didn't really feel like I was hungry or being deprived. My plan of attack was to eat foods I like and stay around 1600 calories / day. With the level of exercise I was doing (2000 minutes / month), it worked for me.

Does the band really help control portion size and control hunger?  Yes, I believe it can - if we are eating the proper foods. If I eat a real meal (e.g. meat and potatoes), I can't eat alot of it. If however, I choose junk (e.g. cookies, candy, ice cream), I can eat and eat and eat and eat. So it definitely can help but we still have to make the choices to eat the better foods. I am a food addict so I struggle with this. I'm now out 4 years and have gained back over 40 lbs from my lowest weight. Depressing but I have to do the work now if I want to lose again.

Make you feel full and satisfied for a long time even after a very small amount of food? In year one, I would have to say yes. Now? Again if I eat proper foods, yes.

Does it really help take away the cravings for sweet food?  On this one, I would say absolutely not for me. I love love love sweets and I can't imagine that ever happening.

Help take away the constant thoughts of eating and when I can get my next fix?  For me, again, no. I am a food addict though - you may or may not be.

For me, the band was a Godsend. I still have no regrets about it. I haven't had many problems compared to some. A little reflux. Some added, some removed, some added, some removed and now am leaving my levels alone. I don't like being in agony from the reflux so I'd rather be a little bit hungry. Just joined WW last week as I need that extra help.

I can't answer about the band as I really have no experience there. The band can definitely work ... but it takes a lot of committment.

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 10:36 pm
Topic: RE: Pills crushed forever? Capsules? 3 days and no wegiht loss
1) I never crushed a pill since Day One

2) 10 lbs in that amount of time is amazing.

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 10:14 pm
Topic: RE: Hair Loss
I never experienced hair loss at all.

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 7:03 am
Topic: RE: lap band or by pass?
Hands down decision for me. Lapband can be adjusted - when you stop losing, you can get more help with an adjustment and there is no "window of opportunity". Bypass - once you've lost in your "window" (which I think is about a year but I could be wrong), you're on your own. I have a friend who had bypass and she is still 275+ lbs. Not to be mean but that is not the kind of success I was looking for.

That's it in a nutshell for me -  saw firsthand the results and said "thanks but no thanks".

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 7:02 am
Topic: RE: Wow - not what I expected to find
Hey Wendy .. I am deliriously happy because I have no idea what people are talking about. I have blocked the vitrial (is that the word?) and KABOOM, all the bullsh*t is gone. I LOVE IT!

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 7:00 am
Topic: RE: completely confused!!
For me personally it was a blessing. I lost 100 lbs in exactly one year with few problems. Having said that I have regained 40 lbs from my lowest weight so there is always room for "bad" things to happen. I stopped watching what I was eating, began drinking with meals, and drinking alcohol where I hadn't in the first year. I also met the man of my dreams who loves me for me so that didn't help me with being "good".

But overall, for me, it's been the answer. I went from being 270 lbs to now being a fitness instructor who teaches classes 3 times a week, who is getting married this summer, who can shop in normal stores.

The band is a lot of work after the first year -- or it was for me anyway. I just joined Weigh****chers this week as I am not good on my own anymore. I had my band adjusted 3-4 times over the past year and was too tight so now I am just right. And just right means for Krista that I have to watch what I eat, up the exercise, and stop with the crap eating.

You have to do the work but the band absolutely can help you get there. My best tips would be

1) get filled / adjusted as often as you need to. It's a tool - use it.

2) exercise your GUTS out :)

3) eat enough calories - I would never ever ever eat less than 1200 calories a day and to be honest, I got to my goal weight eating about 1600 calories. I refuse to starve

4) come here and post post post and read read read. I am not here as much mainly because I am engaged and head over heels in love .. but this board and these people helped me through every step of the journey and I am eternally grateful.

Good luck with your decision!

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 6:55 am
Topic: RE: Made myself really worry
Absolutely. You can find ANYTHING on the internet if you look for it. Even if you don't :)

My doctor has never lost a lap band patient. If he has, there was only one and it was a complication post-surgery that was linked to their previous health problems. From all the research / reading that I have done over the years, this is a very very very low risk surgery.

Krista C.
on 4/2/11 5:21 am
Topic: RE: not lost weight for sometime
Jenn, with or without the band, it's a matter of calories in and calories out. Are you writing down what you are eating and drinking and counting the calories? Make sure you are eating ENOUGH as well. Some people don't eat enough calories. I would recommend at least 1200 and if you exercise, definitely more. I lost my weight on about 1600 calories / day on average but was a pretty solid exerciser as well. We are all different.

Don't worry about letting anyone down -- this is being done for YOU - not for others.

If you aren't an exerciser, I would definitely recommend that in addition to tracking your food if you aren't already. With those 2 keys in place, you will definitely be on the weight loss trail again.

Your doctor also isn't there to judge you - he / she is there to HELP you. If you aren't at a proper fill level, get in and get a fill. We need this band to help us and this is not about guilt or how anyone else but WE feel.

Krista C.
on 3/26/11 2:51 am
Topic: RE: Papaya Enzyme Recommendation?
I'm with Kate - have never used 'em and am not sure what the purpose is either.

Krista C.
on 3/24/11 6:34 am
Topic: RE: Here's my story
Look at you, you sexy thang! This pic of me is a year old but thanks :) Did you know I am engaged to be married this summer? Life sure can change in a heartbeat! We've been together 13 months and are head over hells in love,

Krista C.
on 3/23/11 8:26 pm
Topic: RE: Do I have to exercise for the rest of my life!!!!
You bet your booties you will have to exercise the rest of your life :)

Krista C.
on 3/23/11 8:25 pm
Topic: RE: Here's my story
Welcome back. Robin! I'm not here much these days but I can relate to the gain. I'm up about 40 from my lowest as well. It happens to the best of us. What matters is now and you're back with a vengeance! Congrats on the 10 lbs gone -- that's GREAT!

Krista C.
on 3/15/11 8:15 pm
Topic: RE: Why are there no long term bandsters on OH?
I pop in from time to time and will never forget all the great support I received here. I will be 4 years out this summer. I did well - lost 120 lbs in a year. However, I've gained back about 40 and  I have to admit that's embarassing. Still, I am engaged to the man of my dreams and have been teaching fitness classes at my gym for 3 years, so I wouldn't trade my lapband for anything. 

Krista C.
on 3/12/11 5:11 am
Topic: RE: One year away from OH!
Welcome back and congrats on the 21.4 lbs gone! That's GREAT!

Krista C.
on 2/23/11 7:21 am
Topic: RE: Can I loose more than 100lb. with the band?
I lost 120 lbs in a year so it's absolutely possible. And, it's LOSE not LOOSE. My personal mission in life to correct that.

Krista C.
on 2/22/11 7:30 pm
Topic: RE: Do you barf alot with lapband....
Nope. If you barf you are eating too quickly, too much or you are too full. My doc's office has always said if you are sick more than ONCE to contact them immediately. It's definitely DEFINITELY not the norm.

Krista C.
on 2/22/11 7:27 pm
Topic: RE: For Those A Year or More Out-- Question
I've always taken vitamins in pill form since Day 1. Centrum Forte is what my doc recommends.

Krista C.
on 2/22/11 7:25 pm
Topic: RE: When does the shoulder pain stop?
If memory serves, I actually had lingering shoulder pain for well over a year. People said it was from the anasethic (sp) but obviously for me it wasn't :) I had shoulder pain often when I ate too much. It was definitely a "stop" signal for me.

Krista C.
on 2/9/11 4:27 pm
Most Active