candacek’s Posts

candacek
on 1/10/19 3:38 pm
Topic: RE: Lap Band total and complete failure

Thanks very much, Steph. I'm interested in why you wanted the RNY rather than the sleeve.

I'm leaning toward the sleeve because it does not have dumping syndrome, which terrifies me. But I'm afraid I won't lose as much, and I really, really need to lose weight.

I don't have diabetes (yet), but I do have food get stuck and come back up. Yuck! How has it been for you since your revision? Thanks for your help.

candacek
on 1/7/19 10:07 pm

Thanks for your kind response. I saw the same surgeon for a different surgery. He evaluated the Band, found it's still full (I think 9.5 cc in a 10 cc band), and recommended I consider RNY. I really don't want to do it, but I keep gaining weight and I think it's my only option. I'm not mad at the surgeon, but I do think the Band has been oversold, to patients and to surgeons.

candacek
on 1/7/19 9:12 pm

I've had my Lap-Band since 2006, and I now weigh 60 pounds more than I did the morning of the surgery. It has been a total failure, and I greatly regret that I did it.

My surgeon says he does Lap-Bands now only when people demand it.

And, yes, I did comply with the recommendations regarding diet and exercise. After several years, when it became clear that it hadn't worked, I gave up and did quit the program.

The most I lost after the surgery was 13 pounds, and I gotta say, that was profoundly discouraging.

I'm now considering gastric bypass as a last ditch effort. But I'm skeptical.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do? How did it turn out?

Most Active