Congrats!!! That is awesome. 

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

adorkbl
on 10/15/12 8:58 am
Topic: RE: So..my Lap Band surgeon is talking about the Sleeve and options for me...
I had my hiatal hernia repaired in July and am thrilled thus far with my results. I have an AP standard 10cc band, so my Dr was able to unclasp my band, repair the hernia, and reposition my band. Miraculously my insurance covered it even though I have a bariatric opt-out clause.

It has been night and day difference for me restriction wise. I am still learning how to eat with my "new" band since it feels nothing like the first 4.5 years did. I am happy that I decided to repair my hernia and would do it again in a heartbeat.

However, VSG was not an option for me. If it was, I probably would have revised over to VSG. Main reason $$. I am self pay and my expenses have been large with the lapband. The aftercare, while I like the accountability with my Dr, can get expensive (time off work, cost of fills etc). Also, I do not believe that the band is a permanent solution. I am working it for everything I have right now, but I am realistic that someday I will most likely have to have it removed.

Best of luck with your decision!

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/23/12 11:10 am, edited 7/23/12 11:10 am
Topic: RE: Band baby Zoey with pic!
Awwwww look at you with your cute baby bump. Sounds like things are going well!!! Congrats!

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/23/12 11:07 am
Topic: RE: Please help and support!!!
You have gotten such great advice! I have been there. I think a lot of us have. I was in freak out mode a few months ago, went back to basics, and am losing again. (all with a wonky band... just had fixed). 

It is totaly do-able! Go back to band basics. Don't drink with your meal. Eat protein first! Small bites, chew well. No snacking on sliders. You have lost a great deal of weight... you know what to do! 

This is only a hiccup if that is all you let it be. Hang in there! Start now... not tomorrow, or the next day... or before you know it a year will have passed. One look at my weight chart and you will see... I did that. It is no fun re-losing over 50 pounds... again. 

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/22/12 5:35 am
Topic: RE: Success... with "complications"
 Thanks so much Dee. :) 

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/20/12 8:31 am
Topic: RE: Still doing fantastic! Checking in, with some more pics!
 Looking good!! Awesome!

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/19/12 1:17 pm
Topic: RE: I love my band....PERIOD!
 Awesome!! Congrats on your success with the BOB! :)

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/19/12 1:16 pm
01|17|08 lap band
08|12|08
 gallbladder
07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

The galbladder was because of weightloss... so indirectly because of the band. 

adorkbl
on 7/19/12 11:40 am
Understandable. I am nervous to start the fill process all over again. I have had so many over the years... I think I have finally figured out through all of this where "I" am comfortable... so I will probably keep it a little on the loose side. 

I hope you continue to do well!! :) And can avoid any more surgeries!! I never had ANY before the band. 4 in 4 years is more than enough for me. ;)
adorkbl
on 7/19/12 10:25 am
Great job! I hope you continue to do well also!! 4.5 pounds in 10 days without a fill is GREAT!

Will you be able to get fill again eventually? 
adorkbl
on 7/19/12 9:08 am, edited 7/19/12 9:10 am
I don't post here too often... but I wanted to check in with an update. I just hit 299 today and am absolutely THRILLED!! I recomitted to the band again a few months ago when I thought I might lose it. I decided instead to give it another shot and to repair a hiatal hernia & re-position my band. (I am about a week and half post surgery) It was a decision I really really agonized over... but am happy that I decided to keep my band. 

It has been HARD the past few months working with a wonky band... but I managed to stay focused and positive. I lost 32 pounds since the end of April... and I am really really proud of that. To see a 2 in front of my weight... well... it is AWESOME! It has been FAAAAR too long since I have seen that!

I am looking forward to getting my first fill again in a few weeks and exploring restriction with my "new" old band. I hope this is the END of my complications.  My new goal is to lose 15 pounds in the next 6 weeks to revisit 100 pounds lost. That is the lowest I got post lapband, and I am looking forward to smashing that record!!  I can't wait to reincorperate exercise in!! Only 4 days until I am cleared. Yay! :) 

I justed wanted to offer encouragement to those who may be struggling... or those who are just starting out. We never know how our journey will go... we have to make the best of it!!  My journey has not been what I thought it would be... not as easy as I thought it would be... but I am healthier than I was. And that was always the main goal.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/3/12 4:39 am
Topic: RE: ONEderLAND!!!!!
Congrats!! That is amazing. What a wonderful success!!

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/3/12 4:26 am
Topic: RE: Update: Band to Sleeve
Glad to hear you are doing well. :)

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 7/3/12 4:22 am
Topic: RE: how many people wish they would have had rny instead?
Not me. I could have had RNY covered by my old insurance... but I was not comfortable with the procedure. Still am not. So I opted to self pay for lapband.

I am relatively happy with my decision to have the band. I am not where I thought I would be by now... but I am still working on it. Bumps and all.

I would be more apt to revise to VSG.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/29/12 12:09 pm
Topic: RE: We have lost 250lbs!
 Congrats to both of you!! You guys look great!! :)

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/29/12 12:05 pm
Topic: RE: Quick product review Click Espresso Protein
Might have to give it a try. Yum. A little high on sugar and carbs... but can mix it with one of my normal powders.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/29/12 11:35 am
Topic: RE: No support
I am sorry your hubby is not being very supportive right now. He could be scared. He may like the size you are because that is what he is attracted to. He may be afraid you will leave if you lose weight. There could be several reasons for why he is not being supportive. 

You need to just sit him down and explain your reasons. Let him know you would love his support, but you are not asking for permission. It is your health. You need to do what is right for your health an your life. 

Good luck!

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/27/12 6:29 am
Topic: RE: What made you choose Lap Band?
I chose it because I did not want to re-route my plumbing. I felt like it was safer and less invasive. I also felt more comfortable with the idea that if I were to have complications, the band could be removed. I had no co-morbidities other than sleep apnea. I just was not comfortable with RNY.

I have had complications. Gallbladder surgery, port replacement surgery (leak in port), and in 2 weeks I am having another operation to repair a hiatal hernia and reposition my band. My journey has NOT been what I thought it would be.

If I had to make the decision today, I would choose VSG. A lot more information is out about the band now. Then again, the VSG is in the stage that the band was when I got it. Who knows what will start popping up 4... 5 years from now. 

Just know that surgery is invasive. No matter what you choose. You have to decide what fits YOUR life and YOUR situation. Read read read, research research research. I cannot stress that enough.

Good luck with your decision.

FYI, I lost 100 pounds fairly quickly before I had issues with the leak. I gained about 54 pounds back. I am now heading back down and have lost re-lost 23 pounds in the last 3 months. My band works when I work with it. So I am happy right now. I have not always been in a happy place with this band.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/13/12 8:17 am
Topic: RE: what should i do????
Do you have allergies? That affects my restriction level. My restriction is never the same from day to day... it can be frustrating. I would also suggest going to your doctor and explaining what is going on. I ended up having a hiatal hernia that is affecting my restriction and causing reflux & heartburn. If I didn't talk to my doctor about it, I would still be struggling and not understanding why.

Good luck. I hope you find a happy medium. I ended up having to keep my band a little on the loose side. Now I have days with awesome restriction or I am a little too loose. Better than being tight and PB'ing half the time.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/13/12 1:16 am
Topic: RE: Esophogram and unfill
Oh no. That is discouraging. I am sorry. Do they expect the unfill to help? I hope things resolve themselves and you feel better soon!

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/13/12 12:52 am
Topic: RE: Feels in nm or ax
Dr Monash in Tucson, AZ accepts patients banded elsewhere. He charges $100 for fills w/o fluoroscopy.

Dr Berger in Flagstaff, AZ accepts patients banded elsewhere also. He charges $225 for fills with fluoroscopy.

I have gone to both of them. They are both very nice. I currently see Dr Monash for all of my aftercare and have for several years now. Highly recommend him.

I agree with previous posters... it is ESSENTIAL that your friend finds an aftercare doctor BEFORE she gets this surgery. The band is practically worthless without good follow-up care. She should also try and find a doctor that is relatively close. Emergencies can pop up, and driving a few hours to a doctor for an unfill is not a desirable situation.

One of the main reasons I switched to Dr Monash (besides his awesomeness) was because his office is a 15 minute drive. Dr Berger was a 4 hour drive for me. I prefer fills done under fluoroscopy... but could not handle the 8 hour round trip office visit.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/12/12 8:23 am
Topic: RE: need advice..,.,.,.please help
People are allowed to take medications post surgery... so you should be ok. I hope it cures your runs. If your problem persists.. I would check with your Dr. There may be liquid alternatives.

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/12/12 8:21 am
Topic: RE: Poll: Would you give up Sweets FOREVER to stay in a size 4
I have never been a size 4. Maybe in the womb I was. lol. So I will have to get back to you on that. The closest I have ever gotten to giving up sweets is switching to Skinny Cow ice cream. I am an ice cream addict... and try as I might... I cannot seem to stop. So Skinny Cow is my compromise. :p

Posted Image

gallbladder  

adorkbl
on 6/12/12 2:41 am
Topic: RE: It's a Wonderful Life
Congrats on your success!! Your hard work and positive attitude have paid off!! :)

Posted Image

gallbladder  

Most Active