lupus and RNY

cdnrobin
on 1/22/09 5:38 am - Canada
RNY on 03/17/09 with
Hello everyone.

My mom got Lupus when she was pregnant for me..I do not have any signs of it but have read somewhere that if you or your parent have Lupus that WLS is not recomended...

any thoughts on this????

Thanks in advance.

Robin
    Robin   
talksoupslp
on 1/23/09 2:41 am
If you or a close relative has autoimmune disease, LAP BAND is contraindicated.  Not WLS in general.  I have lupus (or unspecified connective tissue disease) and Sjogren's Syndrome.  I will be having RNY as soon as my insurance company cooperates and gives approval.  ALL my docs are for the surgery and wrote awesome letters in support.  I never would have had the surgery if my docs weren't on board.

Good luck in your journey!
-TS

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
creed79109
on 1/26/09 11:10 am - amarill, TX
hi my name is cindy .    My daughter and I have lupus.  We test high in the ana test that looks for lupus.I was told my mother hsa the gene .
fishtayl
on 1/26/09 11:22 pm - Bealeton, VA
Robin,

I have Lupus. I had the RNY 4 years ago.  The surgery not allowed was the Lap Band. Because of the autoimmune disease-where your body attacks itself the ban dmight have been rejected by my body.  My Mom had Lupus and died at 45.  The research does not completely support the case that if your Mom has it you will also.  In my case-I have it. But I have 4 sisters who do not have.
Ginny
Jeane
on 8/17/09 8:17 am, edited 8/17/09 8:21 am
 Same here Robin.   I just had RNY a month ago.  The surgeon said no lap band...
But I knew that already.   The lap band has silicone which I would not come near with a 10 foot pole, because of my history.

In 2004, I had 20-year old ruptured silicone implants removed.   Within a 6 month period of time, I was diagnosed with lupus and multiple sclerosis... I was also disabled on social security disability for 2-1/2 years.

Within a year of having the implants removed, my blood tests went back to normal and my lupus significantly improved, although I still take plaquenil.  I no longer take Avonex for MS, because that too has improved and the side effects of the Avonex were intolerable to me.  I also am working again and no longer on SSDI.  I opened my own practice about 3 years ago.

That is why I didn't even consider a lap band.  

Teresa A.
on 1/30/09 12:18 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
Hi Robin,
I have Lupus and had Lap Band Surgery Sept. 4, 2008....my doc would not due RNY because of the meds I am on...mainly the Cellcept.

I haven't had any problems from my lupus other than a flair because I was of prednisone for a month...

Good Luck!

Teresa
sexyagain
on 2/8/09 9:57 pm
Hello Robin,

Great name my sister and daughter share Robin...

I too have Lupus SLE...my mom also has it...my daughter was born neo-natal lupus
...When I was pregnant with my daughter 7 years ago I went into severe t-cardia..which led
to my cardiomyopathy...(heart failure). I had defib/pacemaker implanted 5 years ago...It helped
some but...my weight was playing a major part of my declining health...last year my cardiologist
along with my internist recmmd...I have gastric bypass RNY...I'm 11 months out and doing well

140+ pounds lost a new me a new lease on life...no it doesn't cure your SLE (Lupus) but it
helps with the complications caused by Lupus...K.I.T

SexyAgain
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 12:37 pm - syracuse, NY
I have Lupus and I am currently five years post-op of RNY
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/09 12:46 pm
HI there, Robin!

Lupus is not a barrier to WLS.  Though there have been no published studies of problems, doctors are recommending that patients not have lap-band, because it might be a potential trigger for autoimmune problems.  

But NOTHING has been published to that effect.

Good luck on your journey!  Weight loss does a great deal to reduce various sources of inflammation that cause problems so you can expect great things.

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 5:00 am

Hi-

I have SLE, and for that reason< I had to shop around for a surgeon, because I was being turned down at hospitals near where I lived.  One doctor told me he feared the trauma of the surgery would send me into what he called a "mega-flare" which would call for a bolus IV prednisone.  (I've had this type of flare before).

I have finally found a doctor who will do the surgery, and on February 25th, I will have a duodenal switch.

It is suspected that my grandmother had lupus, as my Mom would tell me stories about how she would just get sick and go to bed for a week, or even a month.  My Mom has rheumatoid arthritis which is also autoimmune.  I did read somewhere, maybe the Lupus Foundation, that children of RA patients have a higher risk of developing SLE.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1737 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2054 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2173 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2953 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4683 views