my testimony of WLS with Lupus (SLE) & health issues...

no_more_rolls
on 9/18/11 5:52 am - Jackson, MI
...but I love my DS.  I have lost almost 100 pounds from my highest weight...just over 40 of that post DS (in 2 months) with little effort besides making sure I get in my water and protein daily.  

My health issues include SLE (lupus diagnosed 2001), hashimoto's thyroid disease (total thyroidectomy 2011), Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS diagnosed 2010), and RA (rheumatoid arthritis).  My high blood pressure is now gone, as well as many other symptoms related to my health issues.  I feel great and I can't wait to see what my labs will be like at the end of the month!  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 6:01 am, edited 10/31/11 6:02 pm

Great news! I also have SLE (diagnosed 2003) and Fibromyalgia (diagnosed 2001).

You are blessed, as I was, to find a surgeon who would perform the procedure. especially since you have multiple autoimmune issues. A lot of surgeons won't touch a lupus patient for elective surgery!

My surgeon kept me in the hospital for a week to make sure the trauma of the surgery wouldn't cause a massive flare. My weight gain was helped along by long term prednisone. Highest was 405 pounds, surgery day was 397.

I'm now 5 pounds below my goal weight of 160. my weight had been stable between 170 and 180,taking into account about 15 - 20 pounds of loose skin.

As you get further out, you may find it a challenge to keep your weight stable, meaning not losing weight unintentionally. I'm in awe of the calories I consume, thogh calorie counting is not part of the DS repertoir, I was just curious one day. I added up everything in my food log, and it came out just under 4000 calories! With *no* junk food!

Be well, DS lupus sister, and count your "spoons" carefully! (Google - The Spoon Theory)

My first severe flare post-op happened a couple weeks ago, and I had to take a prednisone taper for the first time in a long time. I was down for about a week and a half. I had a mini flare with fever in August, the week before classes started. Lots of stress in my life these days, and that's undoubtedly what brought on the flares, along with the change in the weather.
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/12 2:57 pm
I have Connective Tissue Disease/Lupus/RA/Fibro/High Blood Pressure I'm scheduled to do Gastric Bypass in July, and some of my family and friends do not want me to, but I keep telling them that I'm doing it for health reasons, because I want to live a longer life, oh I forgot to tell you Diabetes. I weighed 254 pounds the other day when I went to see my weight lost consultant. I am tired of taking all the medication I have to take, and dealing with this weight, and I want my family to understand that I'm doing this for healh reasons.

With all these diseases I just want someones honest opinion, Is having the surgery to help control some of the diseases would you recommend it.
no_more_rolls
on 5/2/12 3:05 am - Jackson, MI
Honestly I have still had flares post DS.  Yes, I am healthier in some ways, not so much in other ways.  My joints still hurt, I'm still chronically fatigued, I still have multiple issues related to lupus.  However with all that said, I honestly love, Love, LOVE my DS!  My joints do not hurt as often.  I recently had X-rays of my knees just for comparison purpose and my arthritis has not gotten worst in the last year.  I do get fatigued as easily during activity but it is not as instant or breath-taking as it used to be.  My blood pressure is much lower now.  My cholesterol is normal finally.  I have had some issues with my labs, because it seems like I am a super malabsorber and have developed bowel disease related to lupus...so I have really had to keep up on taking my vites.  Honestly it's possible I had bowel disease before my DS but it went undiagnosed (another story).  I can do things with my family I never dreamed of doing before...or if I did them (like going for a walk) I would dread it.  Let's not forget about finally feeling like I look somewhat normal for the first time in years!  I still walk past a mirror and do a double take because it's hard to believe I am the person staring back at me.  I still have self image issues with my body, but they are just a little different now.  Before I disliked the "hams" I said I had for thighs...now I dislike the "puddles" those same thighs make when I sit down.  So keep in mind, any WLS is not a cure all...you may be just trading one set of issues for another.   You just have to decide what sets of issues are important to you.  Yes, the gas is bad but that is only if you eat certain foods...primarily carbs.  Yes, you will HAVE to take a LOT of supplements...but with my protein powder and vites combined it only costs me about $100 a month and I easily spent that on junk food and fast food pre-op.  I can go to a restaurant and eat a "normal" meal...I just avoid the bread, potatos, and dessert.  I still eat that stuff on occasion, but honestly there is not much room for it when you wat protein first.  I love going to dinner with friends (that have no idea I've had the DS) and ordering a meat lovers omlett with extra cheese and eating the entire thing (except the potatoes and bread)...and them telling me I shouldn't eat "that".  LOL  Little do they know it's good for me.  I have a few friends that have had other WLS and I always feel guilty about what I can eat in comparison to them.  Okay...I'm getting off track.  You asked would I recommend the DS to another person with Lupus.  ABSOLUTELY!  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

gigito2
on 6/25/15 4:15 pm

Sorry - new here...  Could someone please define "DS" or point me to an acronym dictionary?  Thanks!

gigito2
on 6/25/15 4:18 pm

One more apology:  I shouldn't have posted without looking further.  I see now that DS means Duodenal Switch.  Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1727 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2048 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2163 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2949 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4679 views