New Lupus Diagnosis & New To WLS

PYJennings
on 7/12/12 5:51 am - Silver Spring, MD
Hello All!

After many appeals, fights with BCBS (insurance) and even an advocate from my insurance broker who acts on my behalf, I am finally getting  approved for WLS. 

However, I was recently (last month) diagnosed with Lupus.  Not only do I have no idea which surgery is right for me, I have no idea what to expect as a Lupus patient either. 

RnY people say not to get the sleeve. Sleeve people say don't do RnY. DS Switch people say that DS is the only way to go for long term results. 

Now that I am finally able to have the surgery, I have no idea where to go from here (including how to choose a surgeon).  Any insight would be appreciated. 

Marena G.
on 7/23/12 11:24 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12
HI PY, I have Lupus and I just had my sleeve surgery last Monday 7/16.  My doctor told me that it was the only wls surgery choice for me.  It is less trauma to the body than the others.  I am doing really good.  I have not flared because of the surgery the only downfall is that I have to crush all of my medicines for three months. 

Keep me updated with your decision and progress. Good Luck

PYJennings
on 7/24/12 12:14 am - Silver Spring, MD
 Thanks so much!

caligirl2829
on 7/25/12 3:12 pm - Aurora, CO
VSG on 10/16/12
 Hi,
I also have systemic Lupus and my surgeon is doing RNY and isnt concerned about any issues with my health/dx. I would say do your research on all the options for WLS and determine which one would be best for you. Some types of surgery have more/less restrictions than others.-find the one that best suits you & your lifestyle and then find a surgeon from there. Best wishes & Good luck with your efforts!

Deb

no_more_rolls
on 8/28/12 11:27 am - Jackson, MI
 I was diagnosed SLE (systemic lupus) in 2001.  If you have lupus you will most likely need to take NSAIDS and or steroids off and on for the rest of your life.  I highly recommend you consider looking into either the VSG (sleeve) or the DS (duodenal switch).  I chose the DS only because I have a few friends that got the sleeve and they were unable to maintain their weight loss and eventually had to look into revisions to the DS.  I knew I needed the malabsorbtion of the DS because in all honesty I like to eat...a LOT!  I have to make good choices for what is best with me with the DS, such as high protein, low carb.  I have lost over 150 pounds in a little over a year.  (I really need to update my pics.)  If you get the RNY you can NOT take steroids or NSAIDS with the risk or developing an ulcer.   If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  I am not here often but do get email notifications and will get back to you as soon as possible.  Good luck with your WLS journey!

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

PYJennings
on 8/28/12 11:42 am - Silver Spring, MD
 Thanks so much. I am looking at the DS. 
sphinxylady
on 2/18/13 7:28 am

Hey PY - my best suggestion is know yourself.

I was diagnosed with lupus in 1999 after my son's birth - although I had been struggling with symptoms for years. I had weight loss sugery Nov 2004 - a radical version of  RNY I knew that it would be difficult to revise my eating/lifestyle habits of 45 yrs, so I chose a surgery which virtually had a history of no weight regain but could have chronic malabsorption issues.

I have friends who have had RNY and virtually gained all their weight back!!!! I couldn't face that possibility. Choose one that you can live with for the rest of your life. My advice in terms of lupus - rest and exercise, exercise and rest. Choose a surgeon who listens, and who has a good track record --- talk to some of his patients who have had the surgery and ask about his after-care. Do his patients participate in a support group? (My surgeon made it mandatory)

All the best to you

B

gayle-n-reno
on 12/22/13 7:38 am - NV

I was dx with Lupus (SLE) almost 10 years ago....I had RNY 5 months ago.  At one point I was very sick...but after finding a great Lupus Dr. and getting it under control...I found an equally wonderful Dr for my WLS.  I had hernia repair and 10 inch of my colon removed due to diverticulitis (my colon was attached to my abdominal wall in 5 places) I had class C esophageal erosion due to acid refux 3 years before...since my surgery....no acid reflux, down 60 lbs, colon is healed.  I knew I would never be able to take some drugs again...but it was worth the change for me

sturner
on 7/15/14 11:18 am

I am a newbie to the lap band but an ole pro w/autoimmune diseases-crohns disease,RA, & lupus. Because of the crohns the lap band was my only option.I am furious tho bc I asked many times if having autoimmune diseases would cause any complications &was told certainly not.I am now finding out thru forums I was given false info.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1737 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2052 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2172 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2952 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4681 views