How is everybody?

JazzyOne9254
on 10/4/12 5:38 pm
It's been a long time since I posted in the Lupus forum.   I spend most of my time on the DS board.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sphinxy
on 2/26/13 5:24 am - Redlands, CA

Good to see you! Sounds like you and I have a lot in common. How are things going for you? 

JazzyOne9254
on 2/26/13 2:43 pm, edited 2/26/13 2:47 pm

Pretty good, actually.  I was just talking to my cousin and told her I hadn't had a major flare since I lost my first 75 pounds!

Back before my DS, the only thing that would work for me was prednisone, and you know how that makes you blow up! Now, Plaquenil is doing a great job for the lupus, and Lyrica is doing a great job for the fibro!

Of course, I think the weight loss helped them both, although I have to be careful not to overdo on the exercise.  Mine is limited to aquacise, mostly walking the 4 foot warm water pool at the hospital's health and lifestyle center (read: upscale health spa), and using the water's resistance to boost the effectiveness of leg lifts and such. Since I'm only 5'5", my entire body is immersed in warm water while I exercise.  The only way I got in was that they do have clinical memberships, which your doctor can help you sign up for, and that's only $55.00 a month.  I never checked to see if my insurance would cover it, since it is a prescription, but I don't think they will. Otherwise, the membership is over $200.00 a month, plus there's an initiation fee.  It is really a nice place, though, cedar lockers, a sauna, steam room, Jaccuzi and Olympic swimming pool as well as the warm water pool.  They also have exercise classes, equipment, an indoor running track, juice and snack bar (great fruit smoothies!), and *free* coffee!

I'm gearing  up for skin removal, Phase One (lipo to get the fat deposits out of the hanging skin) and Phase Two, actual skin removal from my thighs.  I know, it's trauma,  which could set off the mother of all flares,but my PCP, Rheumy and DS surgeon all agree again, that the benefits outweigh the risks.  No more infections,  which actually can and have set off flares,and I will actually be able to go without the blasted capri-length body shaper! That's why I'm trying to tone as much as I can, so the surgeon will have some nice muscle to re-drape things around.

I'm going to try to get to this board more often!

So.. did your weight loss help with your lupus...I'm assuming you have SLE and not some other type, correct?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sphinxy
on 2/26/13 3:27 pm - Redlands, CA

Yes I have SLE. And Sjorens, and Raynauds, yada yada yada. Knock on wood - have not had a major flare since losing weight as well. I have done periods with prednisone and plaquenil - but presently am not needing either. Have not been able to do Lyrica - too dang expensive and find myself without health insurance right now. Have used neurontin - poor mans Lyrica and it seems to help. Was doing well on exercise (step aerobics) but now unable to do for last year or so. I do think I have more pain and depression without the 3 times a week step. I found the YMCA a great place to work-out, but have had to let that go due to my 13 yr old special needs son. 

I found a surgeon that would do excess fat deposits and extra skin and also a hernia repair in one surgery. He actually removed approximately 20 lbs of tissue (the most he had ever done for one patient) but we had a deal before surgery. He would do whatever he could, and I would make sure I was in the best possible shape and would not mess up his stats. 

Thanks for replying... Look forward to hearing from you again

B

Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1737 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2052 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2172 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2951 views