Hello to everyone

MikeB
on 6/20/06 12:31 am - Pottstown, PA
My name is Mike and I was diagnosed with Lymphedema in 2002. During the process it was determined that I was born with it. It started to show itself When I was in highschool. I was always pretty active so it stayed under control that way. As I got older and started to gain my weight it got worse. I have it in both lower legs. At my highest weight I reached 534lbs I was being wraped 3 times a week at The University of Penn LE clinic. After 4 months I got my first set of stockings. But they weren,t tight enough and I had to continued being wrapped. Finally we got the right ones and I was wrap free. I use circaids at night I also wrap on occassion. In July of 2004 I had Gastric Bypass surgery and proceeded to lose 303lbs. I still Manage the LE but now it is so much easier. Through out my treatments I realized that the more active I was the better it was. I never stopped my martail art trainning although it was a challenge to find shoes to wear over the wraps. I started to run In fact in April of this year I ran a 5 mile Race. I'm currently recovering from a Tummy Tuck. I know that getting my thighs done is not an option because of the LE. I would rather have some loose skin on my thighs than have to wear thigh highs or the capri pant thigh high combo. Since losing all of my weight I nolonger need custom garments I'm an off the shelf Person as my therapist called it. I wear my stockings everyday they have become a part of my life. My lower legs look great. My right leg looks normal and my left wich is my worst actually has some calf definition in it. Well THat 's enough about me for now. I hope to be talking to some of you on here later. Mike Borders
robert
on 6/20/06 7:33 am - gadsden, AL
Hello Mike, Glad to hear you got a handle on your health. The biggest thing is a good mindset . I feel a good attitude will get you farther in life than what many people think.
Brianna
on 6/20/06 2:54 pm - Lebanon, PA
HI Mike, thanks for sharing your story with us. It is such a positive and encouraging story. I look forward to learning more about you. Welcome to the LE baord. It is a bit slow, but the people who come here are wonderful and so supportive and full of great information.
Amy Williams
on 6/25/06 8:26 am
I'm so happy you are here with us! Amy
dakotahmama
on 1/14/07 12:56 pm
Being at the beginning of my journey to address my LE and have WLS, it is so wonderful to read stories like yours and Amy's. It gives me hope and when you are as big as I am, with legs as deformed as mine, that is means A LOT! Thanks for sharing your story. - Desiree
Most Active