Lymphedema after a thighplasty

Donna Paige
on 7/27/06 10:11 am - Pottstown, PA
Just got back from my Cardiovascular visit and was told that I have Lymphedema. I'm highly upset with the diagnosis. I don't really understand what it is or what the implications are. She gave me some gloom and doom about it all. She kept asking me if I understood how bad it could be. I'm schedule for physical therapy and I have someone coming to set me up with a pump. Here I thought I had phlebitis but she said I definitely have lymphedema. I'm set up for a cat scan too. It's just in the left leg which is 2" larger in the calf at this point. Only started after the surgery in April. some times it gets to as large as 3" larger in the calf. My ankle pretty much becomes non existent. I had a thighplasty done and she said they either removed a lymph node or dissected it. Now i'm just confused and upset about it. Just curious when you have a thighplasty that they don't tell you this can be a side effect. Paid nearly $4k to have this. Just trying to look normal not glam girl but normal and now I have this. I just hate having one leg so much larger than the other. I'm sorry for whinning but I'm just worried how bad will this get? Can anyone tell me anything about it. Donna Paige
Amy Williams
on 7/27/06 10:18 am
Without the proper therapy it can get worse. I replied to you on the main board on what you should probably do from here. You need a good therapist. Amy
robert
on 7/27/06 11:40 pm - gadsden, AL
I have Lymphedema in my left lower leg, I was dianosis about 2 years back. So I can relate to how you are feeling. Lymphedema,while they have not found a cure for it, they have come across many good ways to help control, but the best tool is education - learn all you can do,talk with the Doctors your set up to see,also there are many websites about this condition-double check website information because anyone can post to the net but it is a starting ground. Yahoo groups has a support group you can check out, they got information/message board and a chat room from time to time to help people deal with the problems that come with Lymphedema. Your doctor was right to warn you about how bad it can be, it can get worse than it is now.A good doctor is important to help you with the problem that can happen with Lymphedema, so if the doctor you have knows a good amount about lymphedema and the ways to treat it then your in luck for so doctors are in the dark about this condition. IF you have certain questions you would like answered , please ask, I took your post as a general one for there is alot of information out there on this subject matter.A quick internet search with what ever search engine you use will find many websites about lymphedema.
LymphActivist
on 7/29/06 5:14 am - Northridge, CA
Hi Donna, It is inexcusable that your surgeon did not tell you about the risk of lymphedema as a result of surgery. But the die has been cast, and you have to seek the best treatment for your problem from this point on. From what you describe, I'm not sure that you are getting proper care. Please consider the following suggestions. Before you allow the physical therapist to touch you find out about her training and experience: In which school did she receive her lymphedema training? There are about 8-10 reputable schools of lymphedema therapy in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia; How many hours of coursework did she have? The minimum accepted for certification by the Lymphology Association of North America is 135 hours. If she has taken significantly less she may not be adequately trained; Has she had at least a year's experience in treating patients under the supervision of a credentialled lymphedema therapist? Do not get fitted for a compression garment before you have had a course of treatment by the lymphedema therapist, including manual lymph drainage, compression bandaging, exercise while bandaged. These are the primary techniques for reducing the size of your thigh before being fitted for a garment which will maintain that reduced size. Do not accept a pneumatic pump before you finish the course of lymphedema therapy. The course should have been effective in reducing your thigh, and the pump might be unnecessary. There are dangers in the use of a pump, and the pump should not be used unless you are also practicing self manual lymph drainage, which should be taught to you or an aide or family member. Were you told the purpose of the CT scan? My guess is that they are looking for a lymphocele. I don't know whether this will be of any assistance in diagnosing your lymphedema. Are they doing a dynamic lymphoscintigraphic analysis to determine what the lymphatic flow patterns are and where the blockages are? This scan can better define the lymphatic drainage patterns to assist your lymphedema therapist in her treatment. Have they performed a Doppler scan to determine whether your veins are involved in the swelling? Don't apologize for your condition. Let's just see if we can get you fixed up. Bob Weiss Lymphedema Treatment Advocate
diananoreika
on 2/5/07 2:52 am - Parkville, MD
Is lymphedema common after lipo or thighplasty? I would like to research any suggestions?
Tammy Bishop
on 2/24/07 8:39 am - Buffalo, MN
I was diagnosed with lymphedema after my medial thigh lift on Dec. 7th.  Like yours, one of my calves swells to 2" larger than the other.  Also, my PS actually told me that lymphedema wasn't a risk factor for me when I asked about it pre-op.  I was diagnosed by a second PS that took over my follow-up care after I developed an infection in a seroma in my "big leg."  Last week I started intensive treatments at a lymphedema clinic for 2 hours per day for 2 weeks.  My husband has learned how to bandage my leg at night, I'm getting scar treatments, lymph drainage, I'll be learning exercises and how to do my own drainage, and I'll be fitted for compression stockings to wear during the day when I'm done with treatment.  It sounds like you need the same kind of treatment I'm going through.  My therapist is highly trained (LANA) and experienced (8 years) and very good with scar work.  Maybe you could contact the Lymphology Association of North America and see if you have any qualified therapists near you.  This condition is so hard to deal with but it will just get worse if you don't have the right kind of treatment.

Tammy (Bishop) Simmon
Insurance Appeal Advocate
Center for Bariatric Advocacy and Support
DS with Dr. Buchwald
1-13-04  ~ 285 lbs. to 125 lbs.

Most Active