I wonder if I have lyphedema!!!!

Danielle J.
on 5/16/07 11:25 am - Brooklyn, NY

On the back of my thigh, I have a big "glob" (can't better describe it) of what appears to be a fat deposit of sorts.  It's seems as if I'm just noticing it more now that I've lost some weight. (In pants, jeans, etc.) I don't know how to tell if it's just fat or if it's the first stage of lymphedema.  It's only on one thigh. I'm wondering, what should I do first? Ask my primary physician?  I have an orthopedic since I have osteoarthritis.   I naturally have huge thighs and legs.  Should I be concerned?  Please help.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Dani

"The ONLY PERSON that can stop me is me AND I CAN TAKE HER!"

robert
on 5/18/07 3:44 am - gadsden, AL
I would start off by asking your primary physician to see if he/she knows what it is. It might not be anything to worry about but then again better safe than sorry...I would say right off NO!dont be overly concerned at this stage....
Batwingsman
on 10/15/08 3:17 am - Garland, TX
That would be a rather unusual place for it to start, as usually it starts in the feet or ankles (if in the lower body) and goes upward ..  There are tests that can be done by pressing on the area to see whether it "pits" or not, to help make a determination if it is Stage 1 LE.  Whatever you do, unless your PCP is very familiar with LE, unless he/she can definitely determine that the lump is something else,  If not, I would have a LE-experienced doc also look at it, just in case.   Many PCPs (e.g. family practice docs) just do NOT know about LE or how to distingui**** from other edematous conditions.  Many of us were "victims" to same for many years.  If it is in  fact LE you want it diagnosed and to start treatment as soon as possible.

Good luck to you, and please let us know what you find out.

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Most Active