WILL SURGEON STILL OPERATE W/ LYMPHEDEMA

cate342
on 9/2/07 4:13 am - Los Angeles, CA
I'm new to this website & just starting search for surgeon , etc. Developed lymphedema this year due to cancer surgery. Lower legs & ankles are pretty bad. Did the doctor do the surgery anyway despite your lymphedema? Was anyone turned down? What sort of response did you get with first meetings? Any advice is appreciated. Thx.
Jenn A.
on 9/5/07 1:40 pm - Visalia, CA

The surgeon needs to be advised that you have Lymphedema also talk with the doctor that treated you for it. The three of you working together can find a solution to how to do surgery and continue your care for Lyphedema. Go into your appointment positive and armed with anything you can get for information from your Lyphemdema doc that will show your baratric surgeon you are taking this serious.

Jenn  ~ Obesity Help Support Group Coach~

**In Memory of My Son PFC Jeffrey A. Avery KIA Iraq 4/23/07 **

If you can't stand behind our Troops feel free to stand in front of them!

jdruski
on 9/10/07 7:40 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi,

I agree with the other poster.  My surgeon is a general surgeon so he was very familiar with lympedema and has treated me for my celulitus recently.  As long as all your medical team are on board you should have no problems.

Amy Williams is the real expert on lymphedma.  Perhaps you can read some of the stuff that she has listed on this board.

Jeanne

Lady8i8
on 12/28/07 11:25 am - Cardinal, Canada
I have secondary lymphedema in both legs/feet as a result of two ovarian cancer surgeries.  My surgeon is fully aware and has no issue about going through with everything.  I was concerned about this as well.   The doctor at the weight management clinic also felt that dropping some weight would also help bring the Lymphedema in check as it might not all be lymphedema, but rather weight gain. Not sure how I feel about that.. but If they're all so confident I guess I should trust in that..    I have my pre-op appointment next week, so we'll see how it goes from here... :)
Batwingsman
on 10/15/08 3:36 am - Garland, TX
Cate ..  did you ever have your surgery?   how did it go?

I'm curious myself as to whether it is safe for us to have PS for the loose skin removal, or is there a risk it will trigger LE in those areas on us as well? 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Most Active