Pannilectomy and Lymphedema

jdruski
on 9/10/07 7:37 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hello,

About 3 weeks ago I went for my one year follow-up with my surgeon.  I planned on telling the surgeon what my plan was.  I wanted to lose another 50 lbs. (I had lost 200 to date) and then I want to go for my knee replacement.  Being as I still have 120 lbs to go to my high goal, I need to exercise and bone on bone knees just is too restrictive to what I can do.  Understand, I am 52 years old and I would love to have the body of a 20 year old, but I don't think Target sells them. 

Well, the surgeon started by saying he wants me to go and have a panni, within the next 4 months.  Actually he wanted me to start the procedure immediately but I need to build up some time in work.  His plan and it has been his plan since I was 2 months post-op is too remove the excess belly and mons (sp?) to allow me to move better.  Let me mention that I suffer from lymphedmia in both my left leg and now in my pannis area.    So the hopes of this surgery is that the lymph circulation will improve, allowing me less break outs of cellulits and infections    He is also going to repair a small hernia at the top of the incision point.

I have to admit that I was taken back by this and would never have thought that I would be going for reconstructive surgery before my knee replacement.  This is my second panni, I had one several years prior to my GBS (I do some things backwards), so I know what to expect and I am not afraid. 

The surgeon, I love this man, feels that if I went for the knees and got one of my infections, it might travel to the new knees and cause me to have them removed.  OK, that one knocked me off the chair.  He says this is a completely medical needed reconstruction and is 100% sure the insurance company will pay for this. 

I go to see the PS in late October, back to see surgeon in November and hopefully, by the first week in January 2008, I will no longer be swinging in the wind.

Please send good thoughts my way.  I will keep all posted as the time approaches.

Jeanne

Amy Williams
on 9/22/07 11:08 am
I had my tummy tuck done in January and I had hoped it would improve my flow, but it didn't .  I still have to watch my legs very carefully.  I just wanted to say that I wish you well on your upcoming surgeries and I hope that you have improvements with the infections.  I'm sure in that aspect it will help especially in the panni area!

I've lost over 400 pounds!  
I love helping others, if you have a question just ask!  

Click on a link to read more about my journey:  
My website   My reconstructive photos 

vinnigirl
on 12/4/08 8:19 am - El Dorado, AR
Jeanne,
How did everything go? I'm interested because I think I may need a panni.  Need to lose more weight but nothing seems to fix the apron problem.
vinnigirl
jdruski
on 12/8/08 2:58 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi,

I know what you mean about having a hanging apron.  I had my first panni done 5 years ago as a means to help lose weight, they removed 50 lbs. of skin and fluid.

I had my second panni and hernia repair this past January.  I had wound complications and wound up on a machine to help speed up the healing.  This panni was more painful and I was overall miserable.  But once I got back on my feet (it took 10 weeks off from work and another 2 months) I am so glad to have had it done.  I still have 100 lbs. that I want to lose but having the panni removed has improved the appearance of my lympho leg.  It only swells once in a while.  I am planning on having my knees replace January 2010. 

Go for the panni it makes a big difference.  Let me know what your situation is, weight loss, lymphedma problems, etc.

Jeanne

missnanajean
on 9/8/09 1:07 am - Friendswood, TX
OH MY GOD!!! You are me!! My name is Jean  too but 56 yo. and I need knee replacements for the same reason and have lymphedema with a panni. I was just diagnoised and  am worried.  .I went to a plastic surgeon to see if she could debulk my thighs and was dx'd and just started the massage, decompression and wrapping.  I am a nurse and work 12hr. shifts so had to take a decrease in days too get treatment more frequently. Please send an update. Miss Jean
jdruski
on 9/12/09 12:20 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Ms. Jean:

Small world.  My real name is actually Genevieve but I was always called Jeanne.  I had my second pannilectomy January 2008 and I am soooo pleased.  I had a major complication and it took me 3 months to recover due to having the wound being debried (sp???) and having to wear a wound vac.  I am still 100 lbs. from goal put for some reason the swelling in my legs has gone done and the cortisone shots that I get every 6 weeks help alot. 

I feel for you I don't think I could handle 12 hours shifts, let alone be a nurse.  My lymphedema was never to the point were I considered the decompression.  My left leg is already deformed and from what I was told that with all the treatment the first time I get a bout of cellulitus, you have to start all over again.  If my knee surgeries work and my body doesn't reject them I will then consider getting my thighs done.  I actually would like to have the area right above my knee decreased.

Please fill me in on your story, I would love to hear it.  My e-mail addie is [email protected].

Best of luck to you.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Jeanne

Most Active