found a resolution

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 10/3/08 9:37 pm

options available for lymphedema, including lymphatic massage, surgical removal of affected tissue, and a complex microsurgery called lymphovenous fistulant

I have an appointment for a consult with Dr. Charles Herman in E. Stroudsburg, PA on the 16th to find out if I am a candidate for the micro surgery.  

This surgery was explained to me as tiny shunts being permanently placed in the problem area and forming a bridge to the veins and arteries to keep fluids moving out.

I am so hoping that this surgery is for me.  I've lost 265#, am about 20# from goal and the scale keeps backsliding 15-20 # due to the excess fluids in my legs.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Batwingsman
on 10/15/08 4:14 am - Garland, TX
I have heard a little about this new surgery on the Men W. LE Yahoo newsgroup forum, but it doesn't sound all that promising, frankly   &:-/)    I'd be very careful about what claims the surgeon makes and ask to talk to some of his patients that have actually had the surgery to see how well they are doing and how far out they are, before I would made the decision to undergo it ..

(btw,as to skin removal, "debulking surgery" has gone out of fad long ago, since it proved to eventually cause an exacerbation of the LE in the areas operated on,) 

The true solution appears to be stem cell research.  Early animal trials have shown that animals given stem cells form new lymphatic nodes, ducting, etc.   Hopefully it will work that well in us!

Good luck on whatever you decide to do .

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 10/16/08 11:49 am

I met with Dr. Herman today in East Stroudsburg.  Here is what he said:

1.  Because I have had no infections or cellulitis flare ups I must start out by going for 3 mos. of Lymphatic Massages 3 times a week and wear compression stockings.

2.  I must stop smoking for at least 3 mos.

3.  I must get my iron count up, he suggested that I double up on my iron supplement and take my peri colace to avoid constipation.

4.  If I can't get my iron count up, I will need iron transfusions.

5.  Once my iron count is up, he will do a debulking surgery.  This is where they open up the area and remove the diseased tissue and excess skin.  Then they do a skin graft to close the area.  This would be done in several surgeries.

6.  I would have to document to the insurance company all problems and need for this surgery.

7.  Only if the surgery is unsuccessful and inflamation begins will the insurance company consider the lymphovenous fistula procedure which is done only as a last resort.

8.  He suggested a medial thigh lift to get rid of most of the sagging skin which is draped over the lymphedemia.

So, my last cigarette was at 9:25 this morning, and now I have to start the process with my primary of finding a location to do the massage treatments and get this all documented.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active