lymphedema

rthomas
on 1/31/10 12:34 am - bham, AL
what can i do about my lymphedema
maris_38
on 2/2/10 11:14 pm - Orlando, FL
Hi there - that's a pretty broad question without knowing any details.  Here's what happened with me, so hopefully something in here will help you!

Lymphedema (LE) has quite a number of causes, and varies greatly in severity - which can change the suggested treatment greatly.

For example, early on my LE was treated with diuretics ('water pills') that made me pee out the excess fluid.  But since the primary cause of my LE was my weight, this didn't work for very long.  I had ultrasounds of my legs to confirm the problem was lymphatic and not due to vein problems.

When my LE got quite bad - could hardly find any shoes to fit me, was in a lot of pain due to the swelling - I went to a Lymphedema Therapist (they're like Physical Therapists, but specialize in LE).  I had to see her 4 times a week for 10 weeks for compression therapy (bandages and padding) and manual lymphatic drainage massage.  This was because my feet and legs were constantly swollen and needed to be reduced in size before I could do 'maintenance' on my own.

Before my WLS (and for several months afterward) I wore medical grade compression devices (www.circaid.com/Pages/Products/classicflex.html that required a prescription.  I used the circaids because I knew I'd be losing size in my legs and they are adjustable.

Now, my LE has improved with my weight loss to the point where I can maintain it with just off the shelf compression socks (no prescription needed).

The compression therapy, massage and continued use of compression has really, really helped. I'm no longer in pain, and no longer feel like the Michelain man.  Yep, socks can be a pain in the bum and don't look all that sexy, but it's worth it since my legs aren't killing me any more!

Good luck with getting the right treatment that works for you!

Most Active