Lymphedema woes

SATTAD
on 9/10/10 2:31 am
I have had lymphedema for 3  years and it just seems to be getting worse. I am in the process of  trying to get wls surgery.  Has anyone's mobility increased after losing weight?  I have lymphedema in both legs but fibrosis in the left limb which prevents me from exercising like I want to.  Any input is appreciated. 
missnanajean
on 9/16/10 12:20 pm - Friendswood, TX
I have lymphedema of both lower extremities and abdomen and both arms. I had RNY last Nov. Insurance approved within a week of knowing I had lymphedema added to my arthritis and sleep apnea and high blood pressure  and heart condition. I have lost 96 lb.s and dropped from sz. 26 to sz. 12/14. I am able to walk better and my arms and legs have greatly shrunk to the point I now can wear compression pantihose. My only regret is I didn/t have WLS 2 yr.s ago maybe my problems would not have gotten so bad. There are challenges with any surgery but the benefits far outweigh the complications if there are any. More people than not have good sucess and in the end you must weigh the benefits verses the worsening of your health problems. I would do this again in a heartbeat.
  Miss  Jean   
SATTAD
on 9/16/10 11:26 pm

That is very encouraging.  I gained 6 pounds in one week because of the fluid in my legs.  I was wondering if the surgery would help someone like me.  Thank you for responding!

missnanajean
on 9/17/10 12:00 pm - Friendswood, TX
I can only tell you what my heart Dr. and Lymph Dr. said. Trey both agreed that weight loss surgery would greatly bnefit me because of the strain on my heart and lymph system.  I was having to havemy legs wrapped compressed and massaged 3-4 days a week for almost 5 mo. after I had surgery both Dr.s were very pleased with the results. My legs went down to the point that I now have compression pantihose I wear most of my waking hours. In 1 mo. my legs went down 3 inches. My lymph Dr. told me to watch as the fat goes so will the fluid.I have found that to be true. As I see fat floating in the toliet the next day I pee.pee,pee. My lymph Dr. is even encouraging me to get a lower body lift to take the extra skin off the abdomen and thighs to take the stress off the lymphs in the legs. I live in Houston,Tx and my wonderful Dr. is Dr. Moosa at the Lymphedema Institue in Clear Lake.
  Miss  Jean   
Kermit P.
on 9/19/10 12:22 pm
I am so glad you are continuing to have success!  I have wondered how it was going for you.  I have my surgeon appt this week and am looking forward to things progressing.  My legs have gotten smaller with the weight loss and exercise I have achieved over this summer and I PRAY that my arms and legs will continue to get smaller post surgery.  You have given me hope on this journey!!!
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
nick2010
on 10/30/10 9:22 am - TX
You all are so encouraging, makes me even more motivated to get LapBand surgery.  My family keeps telling me how I lost so much weight on WW and can do it again but ya know what, here I am again in the same boat although I did not gain it all back, I feel like some of it is attributed to the lymphedema in my legs/feet and what now seems like my abdomen after all the pumping.
Most Active