My Mother's Lymphedema

janetb_skinny
on 1/31/11 4:21 am - Los Banos, CA
My mom had a double mastectomy last year and now has lymphedema in her left arm. She had, prior to discovering her stage 3 cancer, been recommended for WLS but she was afraid. She also has a couple of other stomach conditions that concern us (diverticulitis and a 'lypoma'?). I am still trying to encourage her to pursue WLS, esp now. She doesn't think she's worth it due to her age (68).

For those who had lymphedema prior to WLS does the weight loss really help?
She has had a terrible tim trying to get in for therapy (still isn't driving after her surgery), wraps don't fit right (her fingers turn blue WITH the specially made wraps).

Her internet access is very limited so I thought I'd see what I could find out for her. If the WLS seems to be a great help, I will continue to encourage her to look into it.
(I had mine 2 1/2 yrs ago and I love the way I feel - I want her to feel great as well).
Thanks!!

janetb_healthy?!   5'4" -- HW 220/SW 211/CW 130/GW 130, Cbmi 22.3!

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 2/4/11 9:22 am
I developed severe lympedema back in 1993 after a severe respiratory infection.  My legs blew up so badly that I could not wear shoes that touched my ankles.  I was wearing sandals in the middle of winter.  My weight escalated at this point to the 400's.  In 2006 I had reached a point where my mobility was so compromised that I either had to have WLS or be confined to a wheelchair.  In 2009 my weight had come down to 200.  I found a compression garment at an OH Convention being sold by Lipo-Xpress.  After wearing the garment faithfully for 6 mos. my legs started to deflate and I dropped 40 pounds of lymph fluid.  I still wear the garment faithfully to control the swelling.  I started off with 2 garments washing them each night to have a fresh one each day after showering.  As you know, cleanliness is completely necessary to avoid cellulitous.  I now own 8 garments so I only have to wash them once a week and still have a fresh one every day to wear.  If I had not had the surgery I would have never gotten to this point.  I never would have been able to wear the garments had I not lost over 200#.  So it was a combination of the surgery and the garments that have allowed me to be wearing a size 8 pant.  I too have a lypoma (on my back above my kidney).  My family physician says that lypomas are not anything to be concerned about unless they hurt.  If your mother can find a surgeon who will do WLS on her who has knowledge of the cancer then she should go for it.  It will improve the quality of her life.  If I had not had the surgery I would be dead or wishing I was.  Being over 50 and having a BMI in the 80's has got to be one of the worst depressions a person can have. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

janetb_skinny
on 2/4/11 10:07 am - Los Banos, CA
Thank you SOOO much for your response. I am going to copy/paste to my parent's e-mail account so she can read it for herself. I really wish she could get on line (other than dialup) to be involved in the world beyond her TV and weekly trips to the doctor. She is in such a small community, and off the beaten path to boot, that she sees and talks to very few people.

Thanks again. And, I am happy to be in onederland, too!!

janetb_healthy?!   5'4" -- HW 220/SW 211/CW 130/GW 130, Cbmi 22.3!

Most Active