Just wanted to let you guys know

Jessyw
on 1/25/12 8:26 am - polarbears&igloos, AK
Hello everyone!
I see this board doesn't get much action but I just wanted to post because the issue of Lymphedema is very close to my heart!

I had the Duodenal Switch surgery 7/11/2009.
A couple months before surgery I was diagnosed with Lymphedema, mine was pretty intense and VERY painful. My legs were at least double maybe even tripled in size. I know the pains and frustration that come with having such a debilitating condition. I just want everyone to know that I am here for you if you would like to discuss anything, and that there is hope to live a life without the horrible symptoms of Lymphedema!

Ever since losing over 310 pounds I can proudly say my lympgedema no longer effects me!!

-Jessy
      Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
Kermit P.
on 1/25/12 10:45 am
Hello!

I look on here every month or so and was glad to see a new post.  I have lipedema and have struggled some with the fluid since surgery but started manual lymph drainage again and am doing well.  Did your legs greatly decrease post DS?  Any extra fluid in your legs now?

I wish there were more people on this forum as I KNOW there are many who are affected by this but undiagnosed.

Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Jessyw
on 1/25/12 4:02 pm - polarbears&igloos, AK
Hello!
My legs did greatly decrease post DS, they are actually pretty much "normal" sized legs now. I no longer have extra fluid in my legs but I do have a bit of permanent swelling in my lower left leg (it was the biggest part of my leg that was most effected by lymphedema) but otherwise they are pretty normal looking.

My feet use to swell badly as well, to the point where I could no longer wear shoes or barely walk.

I am happy to say that they have not gotten swollen since surgery. Also the severe sensitivity in my legs has gone away, they can still be a little tender (I know there is no cure for lymphedema).

Some-days I do notice my leg might appear a bit bigger but sometimes I think that's just my mind playing a trick on me due to my strong feel of my intense symptoms returning.

Besides that unstable mental outlook everything is going very well.

And I do too as well wish there was more people here, I know for a fact I was misdiagnosis/un-diagnosed for a very long time before I finally found out what was going on with me.

-Jessy
      Hello, my name is Jessica  I'm 20 and I got my DS!! check out my page. 

I love my DS!!!!   sw(535)/cw(220)/goal (?)
  Wanna learn about the DS? Come to the DS forum or check out these websites:
                  http://www.dsfacts.com/ OR http://www.duodenalswitch.com/
Kermit P.
on 1/28/12 11:49 pm
Yeah, it is a frustrating disease and NOONE during my presurgery process (weight loss center) really knew what it was (I was diagnosed a few years ago by a massage therapist and then saw a PT who provided me manual lymph drainage).

My legs have gotten a lot smaller but the cellulite look is awful. Did you consider plastic surgery when you got to goal? You were young when you had your DS so your skin was probably in much better shape than mine.

I just wish more people knew about lymphadema/lipedema and that your bottom half CAN get smaller post surgery.

Thanks for sharing.
Miss_Kitty
on 2/2/12 2:11 am - New Bedford, MA
I've had lymphedema for a few years. It was mild, at first. But soon after my surgery (not the typical WLS. I had a panniculectomy and had 20 lbs removed) my lymphedema swelled out of control. My surgeon warned me that ic could, and it did. I hop to start manual lymph drainage soon. There is a waiting list. Thanks for posting. It's always nice to see a new face.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Most Active