Help please

Ludimay-may
on 5/29/18 10:38 am
VSG on 06/30/18

I had a benign tumour removed in 1996 and since have had many problem & am on numerous meds which cause weight gain & fluid retention. I fell in 2005 & was diagnosed with primary Lymphedema.

i am due to have the sleeve surgery within the next month or so but I have many questions the doctors have failed to answer.

i have diabetes insipidus so i have to drink at 3 litres per day, i'm on steroids, which are regularly increased when I have infections causing further weight gain. I did lose just under 100lbs by healthy eating but have since put it back on due to illness & meds so i'm hesitant about getting surgery.

can anyone give me advice?

spiritwolf32
on 7/15/18 12:36 am

I'm sure I will forget some things but my advice is to first make sure you can still take your meds once the weight loss surgery is done. I was told by my doctor that some medication of mine had to be stopped or switched. Of course from the date of your post you may have already done that.

I am not sure about the meds you are taking but you could check to see if there are alternative medications that won't cause all those side-effects. Being on medications that causes weight gain seems hard.

Just keep working closely with the doctors and nutritionists if available. It seems to me that if you lost weight before and were on those same medications, then it could happen again. The main goal will be to maintain the weight loss until you reach your goal and then to keep it off.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help but I think a doctor would be better suited to answer this one. Good luck with everything. I hope it all works out.

zoozie
on 8/13/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 05/23/18

I can relate.. I have colitis and I am on a ton of meds. I had major worries about getting surgery on a part of my body that was already in crisis. I have been on prednisone for years and on a 20mg daily dose daily. So I never really lost weight presurgery and had many conversations with my primary, gastro, surgeon, and pharmacist. It's scary, really scary, I worried about what effect the prednisone would have, like would I even lose weight while on it, but the benefits outweighed the risks and I just could not gain anymore. This was an option that could possibly help and I couldn't refuse it. All of that said, I teased all my doctors about me being a train wreck and a challenge. Thankfully they all took me on and I am post op and losing. I say talk to your doctors...ask all the questions and really think about it...but i would guess you will find it will be worth it. best of wishes

zoozie
on 8/13/18 6:34 pm
VSG on 05/23/18

I can relate.. I have colitis and I am on a ton of meds. I had major worries about getting surgery on a part of my body that was already in crisis. I have been on prednisone for years and on a 20mg daily dose daily. So I never really lost weight presurgery and had many conversations with my primary, gastro, surgeon, and pharmacist. It's scary, really scary, I worried about what effect the prednisone would have, like would I even lose weight while on it, but the benefits outweighed the risks and I just could not gain anymore. This was an option that could possibly help and I couldn't refuse it. All of that said, I teased all my doctors about me being a train wreck and a challenge. Thankfully they all took me on and I am post op and losing. I say talk to your doctors...ask all the questions and really think about it...but i would guess you will find it will be worth it. best of wishes

Most Active