Surgical Lymphedema Treatment Options

Pamela Harris
on 1/8/06 1:49 pm - Elk Grove Village, IL
I have had the onset of Familial Lymphedema Praecox since puberty. I maintain my lymphedema by performing self-MLD and wrapping my legs with short stretch bandages at night and wearing the rubber Elvarex compression garment during the day. I am seeking other treatment options. Have anyone had any success and/or have any information about and surgical treatments such as liposuction (debulking) or laser treatment? All responses appreciated. Thanks, Pam Highest Weight/Pre-op/Post-op/Goal 343/320/201/135
Amy Williams
on 1/9/06 11:00 am
I'm posting this over here incase others come to this board and miss the message on the main board. I've consulted with several plastic surgeons and often times the debulking can very much make your lymphedema worse. This has been my biggest fear in having an plastic surgery done on my legs. I also know of several people who have developed lymphedema post plastic surgery from a thigh lift. As explained to me, the lymph system is bascially right under the skin, very fagile, it doesn't take much to cause damage or interupt it. I was told by 3 plastic surgeon's that they wouldn't want to attempt the surgery because they were not experienced with it enough. However I do know people who had it done. The outcome is never know and can make it worse. http://www.lymphedema.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000091.html Also this is an article that Don Revis did about Lymphedema, he's one of the plastic surgeon's I talked to while I was down in Orlando. http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2722.htm Note this section: Surgical treatment is palliative, not curative, and it does not obviate the need for continued medical therapy. Moreover, it is rarely indicated as the primary treatment modality. Rather, reserve surgical treatment for those who do not improve with conservative measures or in cases where the extremity is so large that it impairs daily activities and prevents successful conservative management. This article is excellent. He's open and honest. If I do "try" to get surgery that's who I plan on getting back with. He was the only one who would even consider helping me and had some back ground. Amy
notskinny
on 1/15/06 8:03 am
Wow Amy! I read the article you recommended and now I'm even more unhappy about this stupid condition. So after having this 10 years, we have a 10% chance of getting an aggressive cancerr from it? What do you think of the surgery he talked about? The excisional procedure? Also, I am really hoping that WLS will reduce my problem. How has your lymphedema improved after surgery/weight loss? I know lymphedema is not because of my weight...I had a mastectomy and radiation after cancer in 2002/2003 which caused this, but I know that my weight complicates it and aggravates it.
Amy Williams
on 1/15/06 8:07 am
Yeah the weight really does complicate it very much. I know with the weight loss mine had very much improved. I know for me if mine had got any worse I would have had to have done some type of surgery on my legs even before the weight loss surgery. Now I have all this skin and I'm very scared to have anything done for fear it will get aggrivated again. That's the last thing I want. It would be nice to have a surgeon like hisself doing it, I'd feel more comfortable. Amy
Most Active