Couple questions.

TomL
on 1/7/07 6:34 am - Bradford, MA
Was wondering if anyone uses extract in their protein shakes? I make them with one splenda, some extract, and a bit of ice, and they ain't half bad. The extract has a little corn syrup and alcohol in it. Anyone know if it is a no no? I swore the dietician said it was ok. Even when I am drinking water I get a little soreness in the gut, normal? It mostly feels like I am super hungry, but not hungry at all. Does Crystal Light, Fruit2O, diet snapple, etc, count towards water? My wife says no, but if it does not contain caffeine isn't it condidered water? Is it normal to second guess myself? I had a break down today. Not because I couldn't eat (even though I woulda loved to have a nice big chinese order during the Pats today) but just wondering if I did the right thing.
TomL
on 1/7/07 6:40 am - Bradford, MA
Also, how much walking should I do? 15 minutes at a time, a couple times a day? One longer walk if I can? I walked the mall today with my wife and kid and it was good but exhausting.
John White
on 1/8/07 1:40 am - CA
That much cardio is fine for now. Do what you can without putting yourself in danger (like being stranded a mile from home having to walk back, but not having the energy). After you heal up, you want to ramp that up to 30-60 minutes at a time. I always workout with a heart-rate monitor, which I highly recommend. You can get the cheapest Polar for under $50 at *mart (though you have to deal with the psychic stain). Check out the polarusa.com web site to calculate where your hear-rate should be during cardio training.
Scott_I
on 1/7/07 7:25 am
I don't know about the extracts; Sorry. As for the sugar free drinks, your wife is wrong. They definetely do count toward your water intake for the day. So do your protein drinks. If you find it hard to drink water, crystal light is a perfect alternative. I have been diluting mine and making it with a lot more water, only because I enjoy it just as much that way. I rarely drink an ounce of water.
JerryVegas
on 1/7/07 9:21 am - tampa, FL
Hi Thomas, I'm not sure about the extract, but the crystal light, etc. counts toward your water intake. And yes, some do get sore from drinking water. Try drinking it at room temp, sometimes the exstreme temps (hot/cold) tends to cause more pain in the pouch. And yes as well, it is normal to second guess yourself. I did at the begining. It gets MUCH better and easier. Just hang in there bud.
Dx E
on 1/7/07 9:30 am - Northern, MS
Thomas, The Crystal-Lite and such "count" as water. Extract? As long as you're not "chugging it" you should be fine. That "soreness" in your gut? Like you're a little too full? Or residual pain from surgery? Are you are 'liquids only' yet for a while? Hollar if you need Food ideas, I got tons of shake info and mushy food stuff..... Hang in there, It all DOES Get Much Easier!!!!! Best Wishes- Dx
John White
on 1/7/07 1:09 pm - CA
+1 room temperature liquids being less likely make the stomach sore Ask your nutritionist about the extracts.
Dan_P.
on 1/7/07 11:52 pm - Baltimore, MD
Re: the walking question. You'll get a lot of different people telling you a lot of different things on this issue. The correct answer is whatever works for you. Personally I've gotten into a routine where I can go about 40 - 45 minutes of cardio at a time with a heartrate somewhere between 150-160 on average. That gives me a good workout and challenges me to go a little farther/faster if I can.
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 24 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 24 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 52 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 73 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 84 views