Call of the Wild

Paul Gubrud
on 1/14/07 6:02 am - Pelican Rapids, MN
Gentlemen, Jack London's "Call of the Wild" was the first book I ever read cover-to-cover as a youngster and I've loved the outdoors ever since. About twenty-five years ago I bought myself a pair of snowshoes. I used to enjoy going snowshoeing in the woods with Maggie, my Labrador retriever in those days. We both benefited form the cold fresh air and the strenuous exercise. This past week when I was cleaning out a long forgotten corner of the garage I came across my old snow shoes, covered with cobwebs and dust. I had long ago given up on ever using them again because I had grown too heavy for them and didn't feel like I wanted to work that hard anymore. Walking of any sort, much less on snowshoes, had gotten to be such a chore that I avoided whenever possible. Well guess what I did today? I dug the snowshoes out, blew off the dust and strapped them to my feet. We don't have much snow in Minnesota this winter, but it doesn't matter. Parker, my golden retriever, and I went for a nice 45-minute walk this afternoon. The thermometer stood just a shade above zero and we had a stiff northwest breeze that cut my checks like a knife, but it was very refreshing and I almost worked up a sweat. I loved it. With deeper snow I would have had a darn good workout. My old cross-country skis are collecting dust in the same corner of the garage. If we ever get a decent snowfall this winter I plan on getting them out too. Life is grand when you have the energy to enjoy it. May Your Lantern Burn Bright, Paul
FatManWalking
on 1/14/07 7:15 am - Deep in the Heart of, TX
RNY on 12/11/06 with
That is the best FART I have heard in a long while!
kenINindy
on 1/14/07 8:12 am - IN
Congrats on that! I miss cross country ski-ing as well. Here's hoping that you get some snow yet this winter! I'll pass on it this winter, but should be ready to ski by next winter!
wjoegreen
on 1/14/07 10:26 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Sounds like your lantern is burning much better. Great experience. Thanks for sharing. The season is young. Hope you get some good cross-country skiing snow before spring. I would think walking in snowshoes,...snow or not,...would be a good workout. I guess it looks better/smarter anyways with snow. Still sounds like a good workout. Joe
(deactivated member)
on 1/14/07 11:00 am - Houston, TX
You are smelling up the place....peeee yeeeewww russ
Dx E
on 1/14/07 11:31 am - Northern, MS
London's "Smoke Bellew" was one of my favorite character's as a kid. However, might as well been stories about a "Martian." Hasn't really dropped below 60 here in the last 3 weeks!! Enjoy the Re-discovered Youth!! Best Wishes- Dx
carrtje
on 1/15/07 8:57 am - Chico, CA
You're inspiring.
taddavis
on 1/15/07 10:24 am - Atlantic Highlands, NJ
wow. and after your workout yesterday?!! nice job. very inspiring. and so manly.
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 28 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 62 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 87 views