center cut ham, 2 eggs fried, hashbrowns...

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/07 3:15 am - MO
I saw a woman this morning whom I know through her parents who are members of my church, she lives in New Jersey. They told me that three years ago she had RNY. In a restaurant we were, after she settled with her family and had gotten their ordered food I approached her. Before her was a man size center cut piece of ham, mound up pile of hashbrowns, 2 fried eggs, and toast, with coffee. I was slightly taken back and she was slightly embarrassed when I asked her about her RNY. Can this actually be done, I don't know if she ate it all but Geez. She's not huge but she's not a tiny thing either. What's the real truth about loosing and keeping it off! Still trying to decide. Thanks and let's keep Troy in our prayers. -Bob-
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/07 3:38 am - Waterdown, Canada
Gosh, Bob...I dunno what to offer on that...guess she can eat more volume in that meal than I can in a week! My own appetite has NOT returned at all. Last nite for dinner, I had one med sized hamburger. I put all my fav toppings on it (except fried onions which I'm staying away from just cause I dont wanna try them yet) and then cut the burger into quarters. I ate one quarter of that burger. I had a sweet gurkin pickle and 1 pickled beet too. And that was it, I was stuffed. I can't understand yet how anyone can eat any kind of volume of food, as I cant' even think about same...I figure my own volume of food last nite was 4 oz...and that STUFFED me out completely... Course we're all different, maybe she's enlarged her pouch and can handle larger volumes.... Anyone else here got an idea on taht? Jim
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/07 3:43 am - Eagle River, AK
Bob -- What many people don't understand is that wls is a tool, not a miracle cure. The pouch gets bigger with time. You can also build up a tolerance for sugar and fried foods over time as well. The best thing to do is to ween yourself off unhealthy eating habits while you are in the "honeymoon phase" or the first 6-8 months post-op. During that time most people can't gain weight even if they try, as the pouch is too small and many fatty/sugary foods can make you sick or cause you to dump. I am sad for your friend, and a bit scared for myself at the same time. Wls is my last chance at regaining a healthy lifestyle. If I regain my weight, my comorbidities will come back and I will die. It is that simple. Prayers enroute for Troy. Best Regards, - Bob
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/15/07 3:57 am - Japan
Bob, here in Japan they don't have the tradition of group support, online or otherwise and people also tend to "acquire" a set of habits early on in life (studying, eating, etc.) and seem to think that these are unchangeable (hence, a strong belief in "destiny"). To make a long story short, I went to my surgeon's reunion party and many of the people there were eating almost as the same as they had been pre-op. And of course, the average person looked as if they (mostly she) had only lost 30% of their excess bodyweight. 30% is okay, but probably not what any of us are shooting for here. I think that it is very possible to "outeat" the surgery. Best Regards, Dave
Ron .
on 1/15/07 4:00 am - DFW, TX
Good Afternoon Bob, Wow, sounds like your friend has gotten off track a bit. Fried hashbrowns? Fried Eggs? I'm a little over 5 months out and I could probably put a dent in this meal myself. I would never because going back to the "old way" is not what the surgery is about. The surgery is a tool that allows dieting to actually work. The key to losing the weight is watching what you eat. Obviously, I can't eat a fraction of what I could pre-op, but I could condition my stomach a little at a time to except a large amount of food, AGAIN! Now, I don't know your friend, nor you for that matter, but having the surgery is a step you take when you're willing to make permanent changes in your life. That means a lifelong committment to some form of excercise, eat healthy foods, and taking vitamins. For instance, for lunch today I had chili from Wendy's. I could just as easily had a cheesburger and fries, but chose instead to stay away from foods that contributed to the weight gain in the first place. For dinner tonight, I'm cooking grilled chicken, and mashed potatoes made with 2% and lowfat butter. The potatoes are not my best choice, but it's all about choices. I know that the chicken will give me much needed protein, the potatoes I will try to eat a small amount. Later tonight I will probably eat some sugar free peaches sweetened with splenda, I can usually eat the whole can and it's about 120 calories. I normally skip breakfast, except for a cup of coffee, again sweetened with splenda. Pre-op my diet was huge bowl of cereal with reg milk, lunch was usually a hamburger, large fries, large soft drink, then for dinner usually two helpings of whatever fattening thing I would make, late night snack was always ice cream. Loved it pre-op, not so much post-op. I can still eat it, but it reminds me of the old days and I don't like the old days. I don't mean to be critical, but I do want you to know that if you take advantage of this tool "WLS" you WILL get your life back. If you go back to making bad choices, you WILL gain all or most of the weight back. Aside from having a revision, this is a one shot deal. You will lose the weight, but keeping it off long term is up to you. Hope this helps. Ron
Modern_Viking
on 1/15/07 5:36 am - Boondocks
Bob, I am better then 7 months out and i could put a bit of a dent in that meal too. I can eat a good bit of Ham, the hashbrowns are up to question as I really see no point in loading up on the carbs. The fried eggs nah I like scrambled with cheese, toast not at all bread still sticks so we dont even go there. Coffee works now but I prefer Iced Tea with some Splenda. Just becuase the restraunt tends to feed two people worth of food on one plate does not mean you eat it all there. Alot of times my wife and I split a dinner. As far as baseing your decesion on having surgery or not based on what you can and cannot eat is never a good idea. Do it for you and those that love you. Just my thoughts Will
Dave G.
on 1/15/07 5:44 am - Garden Grove, CA
Wow! Well, here's my response to your question about the "real truth about loosing and keeping it off". This is a TOOL. It's not the SOLUTION. There's about an 18-24 month window of weight loss. Once that's done, it's back to the regular grind of keeping yourself honest and working to keep the weight off. That sounds like a huge breakfast. To be fair, I've been to IHOP and ordered a vegetarian black bean chili omlette. The damn thing is huge. However, no hash browns, no pancakes, no toast. I ate maybe - MAYBE a quarter of it. You have to use this tool to not only lose the weight, you use this tool to learn new habits. You learn how to eat healthy, learn proper protion sizes, and proper exercise habits. And maybe it's just me, and after I say this, I'll step off of my soapbox, but I don't understand going through the pain and effort required to have this surgery done, only to frak it up afterwards by letting yourself slip back into the old habits that got the weight on you in the first place. Whether these habits are unhealthy eating, drinking too much, not exercising, whatever - you're risking your life to have this surgery, why would you do that to yourself? I'm not perfect. I've slipped back into my coffee habit. But I'm six months out, and I can still only eat four or five bites at a time. I make much healthier choices than I *EVER* did before surgery, and I'm infinitly more active. If you do this, you HAVE to stick with the program. It's worth it. It's SO worth it.
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/07 6:11 am - MO
There is one thing I keep forgetting about this surgery. It is a tool to make me re-learn how to eat healthy. I am a 47 year old 6'0" tall father of 2 adolescent daughters who weighs 400 pounds. My co-morbidities are just starting to happen and nothing major has happened yet other than one pill a day Diabetes 2 which is very manageable. I take 3 other pills and that's all. I've always been comfortable with my weight 260-275 but now it's a quad. I've never been in the hospital, not even for a broken bone. It's unconceivable for me to think I've got to do a surgery to lose weight and yet I do. It's hard to jump that fence. My elderly father has told me since he turned 75 that "old age isn't for wimps." I am afraid of dying (there I've said it) even though I believe in life eternal and preach it each week. I'm afraid of leaving my children, although for the most part their daddy is that fat guy who lays on the floor and watches TV and couldn't make a fast move if the house was on fire. Well I'mascared but I'm gonna do it. Even if 50% of the weight comes back on - I'll still be healthier than now. Don't get me wrong - I'm going to stick to the program, there's no way I'm going to go through this and be stupid enough to have uncontrollable eating but you guys have to stick too. In three years you all better be here!
Modern_Viking
on 1/15/07 9:43 am - Boondocks
Bob, The surgery it's self is ALOT safer then lumbering around at 400 lbs. I was a 10 plus year Diabetic my back and knees were starting to get alot worse due to old injurys from playing contact sports. There were times when I just could not walk much with out the pain of them giving out. The human body is not made to carry around double what it should long term. As far as the dying part FACE YOUR FEAR's been there and done that three times in ICU due to complications from my surgery. I am not a over religious man by any means but I can say your closer to THE MAN then I was. dying is the easy part of the whole thing. BUT really living takes BALLS, Take a look around how many 400 lb 75 year old's do you see running around. You have kids if you don't do it for you do it for them. I have 4 kids and can now move and run after them. This is a whole lifestyle change just not eating but living too. YMMV Will
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/16/07 5:20 am - Japan
47 is a good age, Bob. I was 44 when I did mine (last year). Odds are in favor of some kind of WLS, especially if you have any comorbids. Best Wishes, Dave
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 88 views