Slow month??? Really?

Jim Parker
on 3/26/11 10:22 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
I had to go get some clothes for my son's wedding...  Got measured for the tux for the wedding day, and bought some dress slacks, and a nice shirt and tie for the "day after", when everyone from out of town will be attending another "feast" (apparently, it's a Russian tradition).  Also bought some shorts for my trip to Sun-N-Fun next week, and another pair of jeans.  All of these were bought in the "normal" men's department!  Size 40, and they fit great!

Eventually, I decided I should go ahead and take measurements, because that might help with motivation.  Boy, did it...  Since starting this process, I've lost:
     3 inches from my neck
   13 inches from my belly
   10 inches from my hips
   14 inches in trouser size
     9 inches from my chest
     6 inches from my thighs (x2)
     1 inch from my bicepts (x2)
For a grand total of 63 inches!

Now for the wierd part...  When I looked at my weight loss tracking log, I realized that I've actually lost 9 pounds over the past month.  It's just been a "stair-step" thing where I don't lose anything for 5-7 days, then lose 3 lbs in 2 days, then repeat again.  Contrast this with the preceding month, when I lost 18 lbs...  I've given up on predicting anything when it comes to weight loss!  Nine pounds in a month would have been fantastic before WLS, but I've been moping about it all month...  That's just dumb. 

Plus, I realized that I've increased my workouts again this month.  I'm up to 3.8 mph on the treadmill (from 2.8 initially) for 30 minutes, then 40 minutes of strength training (where my total lifted has increased from about 6,500 lbs to 22,200 lbs per session), followed by 20 minutes of water aerobics (24 laps - about 1200 meters) in the lazy river.  On the days I can't get to the gym, I'm doing 45 minutes on the Nordic Trac at home (4.6 mph, up from about 4.0 initially).

And, to top it off, I've been flying again!  I took my first flight with an instructor last Saturday, and then I flew again on Thursday evening.  Thursday's flight was really great.  We practiced slow flight at minimum controllable airspeed, and it all started coming back to me.  I did two pretty good landings, and was much improved on controlling the airplane and making it do what I wanted it to do.  All in all, my instructor was very happy with my progress in such a short time (less than 2 hours flight time), and told me he would feel comfortable signing me off to fly by myself now, if I wanted.  That's great, and very flattering, but by my own standards, I've got some more work to do before I will feel comfortable on my own.  I just feel "rusty" and want to be a lot more "in control" before I'll feel ready.

Anyway, it's been a pretty awesome week, even if I didn't lose any weight thus far.  I'm really not down about it - just figure it's part of the program - and the inches are proof that things are working right!  The way this works, I could wake up tomorrow morning and have lost 5 lbs!  (I wish.)
Grandpa-G
on 3/26/11 11:46 am - Grandville, MI
 Jim that is GREAT!!!  Congratulations on so many things...

1st on your son's wedding.  These are the things in life that are really important and make us want to be healthy to be around and enjoy them!

Just the fact that you a shopping in the "normal" men's department is another reason for major CONGRATS!  Your progress on your workouts!  WOW...Think of when you first started and you could barely move!

Your measurement stats are awesome!  And then to top it off, getting back to doing something you love, but weren't able to do due to your obesity.

Again, it's all of this, not just the scale moving that keeps us on this wild ride!  Enjoy!  and again....CONGRATULATIONS!  keep up the awesome work!  Mike
Eating junk food and CRAP is not a reward...it's a punishment...
  it's a DEATH sentence...Reward yourself with Good Health!
Highest Weight: 287 Lbs-January 2010; Reached Goal 195 Lbs - Dec 2010 
Total Lost: 92 Lbs;  Completed FULL MARATHON (26.2 Miles) 10-16-2011

hercules411
on 3/26/11 8:54 pm
Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.  I wish I had also taken measurements before. All I really have is my waist size.. from a tight fitting 74 inches to a current 32 inches.  Still working on another four or so inches.
Max wt. 500+  WLS workshop  4/6/09 440 Surgery  9/21/09  324   9/21/10  218
Save $4 on Obesity Help magazine subscription using promo code: HERCULES
www.obesityhelp.com/store/action,addtocart/itemId,1/pcode, hercules /

Don 1962
on 3/26/11 9:53 pm
Dude,

You've had a great month!  The scales are just a number.  Loosing the inches, taking up an old hobby, getting into the smaller clothes etc is the FARTing part of the journey!  (nuked latte)

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

johnbertak
on 3/26/11 10:41 pm - MD
Wow!  Impressive!  You're doing great! 

I bought some jeans the other day - "jeans!" fer Chrissake!  Haven't bought a pair of jeans in 15 years - and these don't even have the freakin' ruler pocket on the side that the "fat boy" jeans used to have.  Sure is fun to have the new person emerging from the old, right? 

Again, Congrats - bet the flying is super specail, but nothing, nothing beats being a part of our children's lives.   All the best.   Pop-Pop

OneFinger
on 3/27/11 2:15 am

Fantastic results!!

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 94 views