Here I go again--trying to lose more weight post-op

sjbob
on 3/27/11 8:47 am - Willingboro, NJ
 I know shat to do and I know how to do it.  My problem is in maintaining a desire to lose weight even when I face difficult times.  I have a weight-loss workbook that addresses the mental and emotional aspects of working any diet ( plan of eating as opposed to a quick weight-loss diet).  I did lose 50 lbs using this method with little exercise about 2 years ago.  And, I only put back a couple of lbs--literally 2 or 3 lbs.  I simply can't eat large meals due to the RNY but I am a junk food junkie.

I am also manic-depressive and would rather eat my addictive food than follow my demons.  However, even I know that's just an excuse.  Because my prior experience showed me that I was no longer tempted to eat the junk after a few days of abstinence from it.  

I ask you to pray for me or send me notes of encouragement over the next week so that I can get in several days without the junk.  I won't even think about the posssibliity of slipping although I do know that all addiciton treatment programs now say that slipping ( or relapse) is a part of recovery.  I just keep trying and failing to get in those first few days without my junk food.  That's very frustrating.  Luckily, I will be seeing my shrink on Wed so I hope that I will be starting my weight loss journey and my abstinence from junk food by the time I see him.

I know that I sound like a broken record, but I must try when I get this gift of the strength of my will along with my realization that I must actually work a program and reach out for help.  I thank all of you who will think of me and wish me well in whatever way you can.  Bob
Capt_A
on 3/29/11 11:47 pm - Landisburg, PA
Hang in there pal.  I'm currently there myself.  Sucks to fall off the roller coaster high of extreme weight loss and find yourself drifting backwards.  I'm trying to focus on a concrete goal and babystep towards getting myself back on track... as I know it will never "fall off" as it did post-op.  Good luck!     
sjbob
on 3/29/11 11:52 pm - Willingboro, NJ
 So far I've been working with Kay Sheppard's book,"Food Addiction-The Body Knows".  When I concentrate on working on my food addiction rather than worrying about what I eat or what I want to eat, the focus goes off of the food.  Since I am no longer thinking about food ( paraphrasing her book), food isn't always on my mind.  Then I can be free of the near constant temptations to eat.

I've read this in the past, but everytime I read it there seems to be a new revelation.  Maybe life doesn't have to be as difficult as I make it.  Freedom from addictive foods is a lot easier than white-knuckle dieting.

It's only the third day and I'm not perfect in my total abstinence from addictive food, but I know from past experience that that should come within about 3 weeks.  

Now I have the hope I so desparately desired only a few days ago.
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 23 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 23 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 57 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 79 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 91 views