NSVs galore

Jim Parker
on 4/22/11 4:06 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
My life has been a whirlwind lately, and I've been too busy to really get on here and post, but thought I would catch up a bit today...

Last Saturday, my son got married.  We had family in from out of town, most of whom had not seen me for a long time, so that was fun.  Lot's of "Wow, you look great!" comments, and even more amazement when they saw me on the dance floor with my wife, my new daughter-in-law, my daughters (both of them), my mother (82 and having a great time), and even my granddaughter (4 months old now).  I danced for a couple of hours, only sitting out some of the traditional Russian songs with really strange rhythms.  There is no way I could have done that 5 months ago - even once dance might have killed me!  

This was a traditional Russian-style wedding, with about a dozen appetizers, 7-8 main courses, and about 15 different kinds of desserts.  Plus the traditional wedding cake and a groom's cake (chocolate).  I had a little bit of several things, a bit more of the "healthy" entrees, and zero deserts.  Not one.  Not even close.  Even my wife - who is used to me declining stuff - was amazed I didn't even try any of the tiny little deserts...  I guess I have finally gotten used to eating healthy, and every time I even thought about "tasting" something that wasn't on the plan, there was a voice in my head saying "It's just not worth it - look how far you've come - don't blow it on something that won't mean a thing to you in 5 minutes."  

I kept visualizing Mike's (Grandpa G) tag-line in my head about junk food being a death sentence...  Well, I got my "pardon" from that death sentence through WLS, and there is no way I'm going to become a "repeat offender"...

After two days of partying (yep - there was a second wedding "feast" the day after the wedding), and having a half-dozen guests in the house that my wife and I were cooking for, I weighed myself to see how much I might have gained from the experience...  I actually lost a pound over that weekend!

So that's the first NSV.  The second was the pleasure of watching my son marry the love of his life - a woman the entire family has come to love as well.  Their obvious happiness and joy, and the tenderness my big, strong, macho son showed towards his bride were a reflection of my own happiness and joy, knowing he is married to someone loving, kind, considerate, and every bit his equal in intelligence, drive, and ambition.  Those to are going to be great together!

Third NSV was kind of strange...  As we were packing to go to the hotel for the night, I kept having the nagging feeling that I was forgetting something.  Since I don't wear a tux very often (make that - NEVER), I was sure it was something related to that...  But it wasn't until my mother arrived at the hotel, and called to ask me to help her get her CPAP machine straightened out (it's new to her) that I realized:  I DON"T HAVE TO PACK THAT DARN BIPAP MACHINE ANYMORE!  I'm done with it.  Don't need it anymore.  Hooray!

Fourth NSV was looking at myself in the mirror, and seeing a much improved version of myself, looking pretty darn good in that tuxedo.  Because my daughter-in-law liked the lapels on this particular tux, we wound up wearing winter-weight jackets (all they had in that style) for the wedding.  Before WLS, I would have been sweating my ass off, and been so miserable with the heat that I would not have noticed anything else, much less been able to enjoy anything...  Now, minus 120+ pounds, I was occasionally a bit warm, but it didn't even intrude on my enjoyment of the evening.  

Those of you who've been where I came from (400+ pounds, and ALWAYS hot) know what that means, and how much a toll it takes on your lifestyle.  There are so many things that you just can't do when the least bit of exertion causes you to break out into a sweat, and even moderate heat can put you at risk of heat stroke...  I'm so very grateful that I've been granted a reprieve from that...  

My wife commented to me as we were dancing that I was pretty warm, and she wondered if I needed to sit for a while and cool off...  My response was that I'd been sitting all my life, and that tonight was for dancing and celebrating with our son.  I said it pretty casually, not really thinking all that much about it, but she got tears in her eyes, and hugged me really hard.  

That one moment was worth everything I've gone through, and provides even more motivation and determination to see this through all the way.  

So, to all of you who've been my "partners" in this journey, a big "Thank you."  You've inspired me, challenged me, encouraged me, occasionally kicked my butt, and generally kept me focused on the process and the goal.  I don't know if I would have had the same success without your help, but I'm glad I don't have to find out.  You guys are amazing, and I'm immensely proud to call you my friends, even though I've never actually "met" any of you.  Keep up the great work, and once again, thank you for your support!

Jim - the proud dad
180lberstuckinside
on 4/22/11 5:49 am - Cumming, GA
I've been a little MIA as well recently Jim. Yours is the first post I've read in a while and it reminds me of why this board is so great.

Congratulations on the many beautiful moments recently! You deserve it!!

No more sitting down.

Chad
HW: 316 / SW: 294 / CW: 197.5 / GW: 195
First 5K: 29:50 mins. on 3/12/11 (4 month surgiversary)

sjbob
on 4/22/11 7:00 am - Willingboro, NJ
 Congratulations on all of your successes.  You have transfromed your life.  I just want to warn other men reading this to be evaluated before stopping the use of a Bi-PAP or CPAP machine.  This would probably involve another sleep study.  I say this because I felt so good following my RNY that I stopped using my CPAP machine.  About 8 years later my cardiologist asked me about using it and I told her when I had stopped.  I had to see the pulmonologist ( the sleep study is through her office)  and had to go for another sleep study.  Yep, I had to go back on it.  My primary said that not using it may have contributed to my atrial fibrilation (may have).  
Jim Parker
on 4/22/11 8:30 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Excellent point.  

Most of us didn't know we needed CPAP (or BIPAP****il we did the sleep study, and a follow-up study is the only way to be 100% sure you're done with it.  Don't stop using your machine until your doctor(s) approve it.  

Sleep apnea isn't just an inconvenience, it can cause all kinds of other things (including, ironically, obesity).  My wake-up call on sleep apnea was when Reggie White, the perennial All-Pro NFL defensive lineman, died a couple of years ago from sleep apnea.  It's what actually ended his life.  Scary stuff...
Don 1962
on 4/22/11 9:05 am
Good job, Jimbo!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Michael P.
on 4/22/11 11:29 am
Jim, those are some great NSV's.  You must be very proud of your family and of what you've accomplished so far.  Great post and reminds us all of why we are on this journey.  Thanks!

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
OneFinger
on 4/22/11 11:44 am

Jim, what a wonderful and inspiring post. Congrats on all your successes. Your hard work is really paying off.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
kenhud1
on 4/22/11 12:33 pm - Houston, TX
Congrats on all of the victories! Keep up the good work!
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

cabin111
on 4/22/11 3:44 pm
We understand why you are MIA...Out there living life!!  Enjoy the ride...
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 39 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 39 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 83 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 96 views